For those running the SSAutochrome manifold...

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
adamky
SuperMod

For those running the SSAutochrome manifold...

Post by adamky »

Did you guys do any prep work to the manifold to allow for thermal expansion??

Such as cutting the flange between runners, or enlarging the bolt holes or both??

Also, are you guys running a flex section in your downpipe??
efeezi
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by efeezi »

No prep work. I am running a flex pipe though. Its been on for 1.5 yrs now.
300zx single turbo
715rwhp GT42
fbodtrek

Post by fbodtrek »

nope and nope. It works fine surprisingly. Heck, the stock setup ddin't allow for any flex, i figure this one should be fine.
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

i just used heat wrap on mine. nothing else
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

smokey8611 wrote:i just used heat wrap on mine. nothing else
Really? I would think heat wrap would not be good for such a thin walled manifold....

How long have you been running that setup???

So, from the looks of things, I should be good to go with just a flex pipe. Cool.
BillKlineVT

Post by BillKlineVT »

I cut the flange for each runner..... been goin strong for a year and a half or more
1997 Silver Moss KA-T
GT2871R / Z32 MAF / 550cc Deatschwerks Injectors
BikiRom Daughterboard on a '95 ECU
Raggedy240
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by Raggedy240 »

wats the smallest turbo any one runs with this manifold

sorry I a nood (and slightly dee-de-deeeee)
Tulsa_S13

Post by Tulsa_S13 »

The smallest turbo and one of the most common is the Garrett T25 from the SR20DET.

Turbo specs:

Compressor: T-25, 60 trim 56mm BCI-1 compressor.

Turbine: T-25, 62 trim 53.8mm 0.64 A/R turbine housing.

Center Section: Journal bearings
Tein S-tech Springs, KYB AGX adjustable struts, Nismo Power brace II, BRM 2.5" exhaust, Suspension Technique sway bars, TCS front/rear strut bars, Fidanza Flywheel, Fidanza SS, Exedy clutch, Z32 brakes

Built KA-T in the works.
jdm180s13

Post by jdm180s13 »

SSAC sucks on S13 DOHC's, Doesn't clear the BMC. I have a T3/T04e turbo and Im just about done with my install but know i have to buy a new manifold. Sucks. Found out if i want to keep the T3/T4 manifold i have to weld a wedge flange in order to be able to clear the BMC which costs more money. Oh well, you live and learn.
jdm180s13
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

jdm180s13 wrote:SSAC sucks on S13 DOHC's, Doesn't clear the BMC. I have a T3/T04e turbo and Im just about done with my install but know i have to buy a new manifold. Sucks. Found out if i want to keep the T3/T4 manifold i have to weld a wedge flange in order to be able to clear the BMC which costs more money. Oh well, you live and learn.
I've heard bad things about the T3/T4 mani they sell. The T25 mani is one of the few I have seen that hold up well. Maybe due to less weight and stress on the main....?
Projex240

Post by Projex240 »

If you are talking about the top mount, the walls arent thin. In facti think its a very sturdy manifold. Ive had mine on the car for over a year with LOTS of abuse and whatnot. no cracks at all.
you can use heat wrap on just about anything you want. I wouldnt think it would hurt other than causing moisture to stay on the mani, and possibly cuase a problem. But if its dry, its no problem at all.

Personally, Id rather buy 6 150 dollar manifolds than 1 800 dollar manifold. Cuz the truth is...even 800 dollar manifolds have problems, and can crack too.
So you could buy 6 manifolds before youd buy one high dollar one. I dont know..i guess im just aprtial to the underdog(the less expensive mani's)

-josh
smokey8611

Post by smokey8611 »

adamky wrote:
smokey8611 wrote:i just used heat wrap on mine. nothing else
Really? I would think heat wrap would not be good for such a thin walled manifold....

How long have you been running that setup???

So, from the looks of things, I should be good to go with just a flex pipe. Cool.
im about to crack (no pun intented) about 1000 miles this week on the manifold

The clearance suck but that because I have ABS on my s14-but I have a heat shield so its no biggie
Evo 8 turbo
Forced Fab Dump/Downpipe
enthalpy ecu tune
550cc injectors
14 Kouki conversion

WWW.FORCEDFAB.COM
Charisma

Post by Charisma »

Does anyone know if there is any fitment issues with this manifold on the S13 DOHC?
efeezi

Post by efeezi »

If anybody has fitment issues it because they have a 4-bolt exhaust housing, ABS or severly sagging mounts.
300zx single turbo
715rwhp GT42
Charisma

Post by Charisma »

So it should fit my car with no problems.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

Projex240 wrote: Personally, Id rather buy 6 150 dollar manifolds than 1 800 dollar manifold. Cuz the truth is...even 800 dollar manifolds have problems, and can crack too.
So you could buy 6 manifolds before youd buy one high dollar one. I dont know..i guess im just aprtial to the underdog(the less expensive mani's)

-josh
Absolutely. I was just wondering if any prep work would be benficial. These mani's have had problems in the past and I would rather be safe than sorry.
seanc
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by seanc »

so the clearance would be good with say the t3/t4 manifold with the turbonetics t3/to4e 50 trim .63 a/r from jgs?
JRL
240sx Wannabe

Post by JRL »

Charisma wrote:Does anyone know if there is any fitment issues with this manifold on the S13 DOHC?
It fits on mine just fine. I have a T28 bolted to it.

What does not fit is the downpipe to elbow. Theres about a 1.5" gap between the 3 bolt flange on the elbow to downpipe. Basically the downpipe hits the bottom of the car and prevents it from being able to bolt op to the elbow.

Ive tried the SSAC downpipe and Megan downpipe both hit the bottom of the car and make it come up short.

One question I have is, is the CA18DET elbow the same as the SR20DET elbow? If they are different then thats my problem, but everything Ive read say that they are the same.
efeezi

Post by efeezi »

seanc wrote:so the clearance would be good with say the t3/t4 manifold with the turbonetics t3/to4e 50 trim .63 a/r from jgs?
As long as it has the 5 bolt exhaust housing it will.
300zx single turbo
715rwhp GT42
Jesse
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jesse »

^^ yes the ca18 turbo extension is way different than the sr turbo extension.
the ca18 is angled completely differnt and sits higher. When i had my ca18 i had to modify the sr downpipe to fit.
fbodtrek

Post by fbodtrek »

JRL wrote:
Charisma wrote:Does anyone know if there is any fitment issues with this manifold on the S13 DOHC?
It fits on mine just fine. I have a T28 bolted to it.

What does not fit is the downpipe to elbow. Theres about a 1.5" gap between the 3 bolt flange on the elbow to downpipe. Basically the downpipe hits the bottom of the car and prevents it from being able to bolt op to the elbow.

Ive tried the SSAC downpipe and Megan downpipe both hit the bottom of the car and make it come up short.

One question I have is, is the CA18DET elbow the same as the SR20DET elbow? If they are different then thats my problem, but everything Ive read say that they are the same.
My Megan DP bumps the floorboard...next time I have my car on a lift, I'm taking a hammer to that chit. It didn't touch on one motor, but the last two it has.
JRL
240sx Wannabe

Post by JRL »

Jesse wrote:^^ yes the ca18 turbo extension is way different than the sr turbo extension.
the ca18 is angled completely differnt and sits higher. When i had my ca18 i had to modify the sr downpipe to fit.
Thank you so much for that answer. EVERYONE, has been saying otherwise. But what you just said, shorter and angled, is exactly why my DP wont fit.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

All you guys having downpipe problems.... is this on S13's only, or S14's as well?
JRL
240sx Wannabe

Post by JRL »

adamky wrote:All you guys having downpipe problems.... is this on S13's only, or S14's as well?
I think the people who are having problems (myself included) are using the wrong elbow.

SSAC labels there turbo elbows as "fits 89 thru 98 180SX and Silvia"....which apparently is incorrect.

The few people Ive seen that has actually bolted up with no problems, such as billklinevt, used Megan racings elbow/downpipe combo.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

JRL wrote:
adamky wrote:All you guys having downpipe problems.... is this on S13's only, or S14's as well?
I think the people who are having problems (myself included) are using the wrong elbow.

SSAC labels there turbo elbows as "fits 89 thru 98 180SX and Silvia"....which apparently is incorrect.

The few people Ive seen that has actually bolted up with no problems, such as billklinevt, used Megan racings elbow/downpipe combo.
That's weird. I noticed in Jordan's cheap turbo kit post that he didn't mention having to alter it. Maybe just some of them don't line up properly...???
Projex240

Post by Projex240 »

adamky wrote:
Projex240 wrote: Personally, Id rather buy 6 150 dollar manifolds than 1 800 dollar manifold. Cuz the truth is...even 800 dollar manifolds have problems, and can crack too.

-josh
Absolutely. I was just wondering if any prep work would be benficial. These mani's have had problems in the past and I would rather be safe than sorry.
I didnt do any prepwork to mine. I juts bolted it on and rode out. I heard to cut the flange but the flange is thick as crap on mine and has no warpage, so I left it.

-Josh
jdm180s13

Post by jdm180s13 »

Only for the DOHC s13's running the t3/t4 turbo's. Turbo wont clear with the SSAC t3/t4 top mount manifold. The Brake Master Cylinder is in the way because of the certain angled position of how the manifold sits. Have to either buy and weld a wedge flange to weld on to fix the angle or get an s14 brake master cylinder. My opinion, get a log manifold if your going to run a T3/T4. I did. Now i have to sell SSAC Manifold. Any takers let me know.
jdm180s13
seanc
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by seanc »

what kind of exhaust housing where you running 4bolt or 5? i have heard it clears the BMC with a 5 bolt such as JGS offers.
jdm180s13

Post by jdm180s13 »

seanc wrote:what kind of exhaust housing where you running 4bolt or 5? i have heard it clears the BMC with a 5 bolt such as JGS offers.
It's a 5 bold turbo and the JGS turbo 5 bolt clears the BMC with their manifold but not the SSAC mani.
jdm180s13
efeezi

Post by efeezi »

^^ Thats odd. You're like the only person in the universe that I've heard of that couldnt get a 5 bolt to clear. Unless you have ABS.
300zx single turbo
715rwhp GT42