is KA-T the right choice?

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
s14tilo
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

is KA-T the right choice?

Post by s14tilo »

Hey..I have a general question.

I have been trying to ask around about what would be the best route for me to go with my car engine wise. I am shooting for around 300-400 rwhp. The setups you have listed on this site seem pretty simple to reach that goal but when I ask other people who know a lot about the 240 they say that it is going to be hard and expensive to reach that goal with the KA. They believe that it would dbe cheaper and easier to get that power with the SR. I was just wondering what you guys thought since you obviously know about the KA-T.
240racr
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Re: is KA-T the right choice?

Post by 240racr »

s14tilo wrote:Hey..I have a general question.

I have been trying to ask around about what would be the best route for me to go with my car engine wise. I am shooting for around 300-400 rwhp. The setups you have listed on this site seem pretty simple to reach that goal but when I ask other people who know a lot about the 240 they say that it is going to be hard and expensive to reach that goal with the KA. They believe that it would dbe cheaper and easier to get that power with the SR. I was just wondering what you guys thought since you obviously know about the KA-T.
I think these "other people" that "know a lot" about 240's must not know very much. :wink:

Don't mind me, I'm just hating. :D
Supertech pistons (10.5:1), eagle rods,
cometic headgasket
Precision T3/T4
mild p&p, pdm tri-flow turbo cams, custom exhaust, ETS mani and dump
Fully balanced rotating assembly, ACT clutch
AMS Fuel Kit (65lb injectors), meth/water injection, ebay fmic,
elec fans, z32 brakes, AEM EMS
360WHP
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

The way I look at it, you pay twice with an SR. When you buy a clip/motorset, you pay for a small T25, etc, and have yet to spend money on better turbo parts to get you to your power goals. In this day and age too, buying an SR is a crap shoot, and imo, you have the same chance of having to rebuild an sr as you do a ka when you try to reach those higher hp levels.

However, you should build the engine you want, and not the engine people tell you is going to be easier. It probably will end up being equally difficult, but prices will vary between the two.

Think about the power delivery you're after, not just the peak numbers, and go from there.
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
ZiG

Post by ZiG »

do you like torque or do you like revving high as a honda?

Uh, and you do know that there are many other engines you can fit between the fenders of a 240, right? Take for example, an ls1 swap. 300 horsepower right out of the box. Do a heads/cam/intake, some free mods and you're at 400.
katinlv
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by katinlv »

Get the SR.

There a a bunch of pro SR write ups on this site.

I heat that KA-ts only last a few 1000 miles. I guess thats fine if it's only the weekend car. you could maybe get a year out of it.
jmhalder

Post by jmhalder »

katinlv wrote:Get the SR.

There a a bunch of pro SR write ups on this site.

I heat that KA-ts only last a few 1000 miles. I guess thats fine if it's only the weekend car. you could maybe get a year out of it.
:roll: i suppose more threads like this are pointless, for the uninformed OP. there was a recent thread about "18 steps to kill a KA" because he had done 18 stupid things, and none of them killed his 180k KA till recently, also another person that had run up to 14 psi on the street for 3 years... i just ran a 13.3 last weekend on the strip with my KA-t, ive been boosted for a year and a half, been up to 14psi, and have 150k on the clock... moneywise for that goal, prices for a 300-400hp KA or SR are gonna run ya about the same, maybe less for a KA as long as its a stock bottom end... as for the previous post, this is KA-T.org, we're partial to the KA, if you want somebody to reccomend the SR i recommend www.sr20forum.com the SR rev's higher (7500 stock) the KA revs to 6450 stock, and i rev mine to 7k, N/A the KA makes more power and it makes it @ a lowwer RPM... both good engines, but if i blow mine, i can pick one up a longblock for ~$250, a SR swap costs $2000-2500, and a shortblock could be like $800-1200 probably... read read read, this is a preference question, so only you can make it, dont ask people to make it for you... lock this ****
13.36 @ 105.97, as of 10-27-07
-------------------------------
Holset HY-35, STI inj.'s bored to 650's, NVSRAM and Nemesys, N60, Walbro 255, 3" exhaust with FREE flowing mufflers and no cats, Zeitronix ZT-2, crappiest (Closest to stock) ACT clutch, Fidanza, Nismo mounts, JGS mani, JGS oil lines, ebay FMIC, ebay adapter with 3" K&N, and im the FIRST S14 KA to run a. U12 ecu

2 KA's down, 1+ to go.
KA24DE + 12psi = Turn ya out
boker240

Post by boker240 »

KA-T,KA-T,KA-T,KA-T :twisted:
arias 8.8.1,615 tomie inj.,clevite bearings,arp 10mm hs,z32 maf,jwt ecu,intake butterflies removed,all emissions removed,cx rad. dif dual fan controller,altima dual fans,fidanza fw,stage 3 clutch,solid d shaft,j30 rearend,energy suspension bushings,kyb struts,155 lbs weight reduction.
currently n/a.

He'll probably blow the motor, and then join the army of retards who hate on KA's for no good reason.
seanc

Post by seanc »

keep this in mind: rocker arms on a DOHC head = fail.
Looking For A Holset HX-35
jmhalder

Post by jmhalder »

seanc wrote:keep this in mind: rocker arms on a DOHC head = fail.
only if you over rev... and since its a 7500 rev limiter, who cares... if your paying 2-3k for a swap, whats $50-60 for greddy rocker arm stoppers... the SR is a great engine, better than the KA for some things, obviously not all things otherwise this site wouldnt exsist.... seriously, somebody lock this up
Holset HY-35, STI inj.'s bored to 650's, NVSRAM and Nemesys, N60, Walbro 255, 3" exhaust with FREE flowing mufflers and no cats, Zeitronix ZT-2, crappiest (Closest to stock) ACT clutch, Fidanza, Nismo mounts, JGS mani, JGS oil lines, ebay FMIC, ebay adapter with 3" K&N, and im the FIRST S14 KA to run a. U12 ecu

2 KA's down, 1+ to go.
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

you can take a stock KA higher than a stock SR. You can also make a KA put out more power than an SR for much less than the SR swap costs (even low estimates).

Your friends are actually victims of fads, heresy, and misinformation. Those with any observation/experience of an SR outperforming a KA are still victims of their own ignorance, as comparisons are usually on a 180k+ miles KA and a 40k miles SR. You could continue proliferate the idiocy, or you could take a stand right now and stop it.

If KA-T wasn't a viable way to make really nice power, this forum and large group of users would not exist. it would be called "www.KA-T-dreamers.com" .
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
s14tilo

Post by s14tilo »

Ok, thanks for the replies. Obviously they both can work, that's not what I'm asking. I guess what I mean to ask is...which one is going to be more reliable? This is pretty much the car I drive everyday and I don't have the time to fix things that are going to go wrong every week. I'm not trying to build a race driven only car. Just something nice, easy, and powerful. And, yes, I am also wanting to keep the torque...
katinlv

Post by katinlv »

SR 4 teh wins!!!!111
vrmilionzx
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by vrmilionzx »

here is my plan:
1) add to this post
2)request it gets locked anyway

ok, any engine is only as reliable as the person building and taking care of it.
you can have an extremely unreliable ka or sr - just beat on it and half-ass it.
be reasonable and take good care of either motor, they become a lot more reliable.
the most reliable motor will be a well built, well maintained STOCK N/A motor.
turbos reduce lifespan, deal with it.

now then, seriously, can we lock this silly thread?
arias pistons (8.8:1), pauter rods,
cometic headgasket
garrett t3/4 50 trim
mild p&p, pdm cams, 3" turbo back,
jwt flywheel and ecu, clutch specialties clutch
740cc injectors, ebay fmic,
elec fans, msd, stock vlsd, z32 brakes and mafs, safc2, hks evc 4, Koyo Radiator, protective layer of dirt.
-"stock" s13 dd - Project MPG
jmhalder

Re: is KA-T the right choice?

Post by jmhalder »

s14tilo wrote:I am shooting for around 300-400 rwhp.
s14tilo wrote:which one is going to be more reliable?
nevermind my "leave him alone" mentality before, your retarded, at that power level you're making 200hp per liter... if you want reliable, stick with the KA, and dont boost it, if you want a reliable 200whp get a SR, and leave it alone, if you want a reliable 300-400whp SR OR KA... your GONNA need to build a engine with decent forged internals, in which case either engine would probably be just as reliable, frankly, id rather have the extra .4 liters to spool that monster turbo you'll need... god your retarded :roll:

2 KA's down, 1+ to go.
240racr
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by 240racr »

I love this thread!!!!! It is so damn funny visualizing the frustration from you guys! But seriously, someone please lock this thread!
Supertech pistons (10.5:1), eagle rods,
cometic headgasket
Precision T3/T4
mild p&p, pdm tri-flow turbo cams, custom exhaust, ETS mani and dump
Fully balanced rotating assembly, ACT clutch
AMS Fuel Kit (65lb injectors), meth/water injection, ebay fmic,
elec fans, z32 brakes, AEM EMS
360WHP
Alex_V
240sx Wannabe

Post by Alex_V »

Its possible to make a 200-400 reliable. Guess what, its all in the TUNING cheapen out on that and you risk blowing the engine when it could have been avoided.

~Alex
s14tilo

Post by s14tilo »

Delete
Last edited by s14tilo on Tue May 07, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigLoukaT

Post by BigLoukaT »

There's only 2 reasons why someone would ask the question you did:

1) You haven't done nearly enough research into the matter
2) You have no idea what you want to achieve, which is not a good strategy when building a car.

(edit, it was actually 9/15 posts that weren't your own held some sort of viable opinion) Half of us in this thread answered your question, the other half reacted to yet another thread asking the same old question. Did you ask the SR forums the same exact question? How did they take answering the same question yet again?

And you're right, it is a very simple question, which also means searching for the answer could have given you the same info. The answer is not so simple, and is based on too many variables, NAMELY your preference which not one of us can tell you what you like.
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

s14tilo wrote:Well thanks for the help. Next time I have a simple question, I'll be sure NOT to ask the egotistical fuuck heads on ka-t.org. Now you can get back to jerking each other off with IC piping...
get the ***** outta here. you asked for advice and some of us (including myself) took the time to give you relative responses. If you're gonna go cry about the few people who made jokes over the SR/KA argument, you seriously need to grow up. Go ask your mom what she thinks of turboing the KA. She'll smile and say "Honey, it all sounds great to me... have a cookie." and you'll get the spoonfed **** you need to feel good about life.

Now I'm going to take my egotistical ***** brain and my 1000+ posts that were NOT egotistical and ignore anything else you ever have to say on here. Go get your SR swap because I'm sure you're too dumb to handle the technical elbow grease of going KA-T.

douchebag. As I said prior, your 'experienced' friends are actually ignorant, as are you. Go cry elsewhere.
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
vrmilionzx
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by vrmilionzx »

s14tilo wrote:Well thanks for the help. Next time I have a simple question, I'll be sure NOT to ask the egotistical fuuck heads on ka-t.org. Now you can get back to jerking each other off with IC piping...
are these the same egotistical f-heads you asked for advice?
hmmm....

one thing about the internet - if you can't take a gentle ribbing, stay off of it.
i think it's funny that you ask for advice, then get pissed when you get a 50/50 mix between advice and jokes. that seems like a pretty good ratio for just about any website.
and seriously, most of the people on here do plenty of searching - why shouldn't you? you want to decide what you like based on what everyone else says, or through research?
step back, take stock of the situation, then ask yourself why someone blows up at something like that.
insecure much?
arias pistons (8.8:1), pauter rods,
cometic headgasket
garrett t3/4 50 trim
mild p&p, pdm cams, 3" turbo back,
jwt flywheel and ecu, clutch specialties clutch
740cc injectors, ebay fmic,
elec fans, msd, stock vlsd, z32 brakes and mafs, safc2, hks evc 4, Koyo Radiator, protective layer of dirt.
-"stock" s13 dd - Project MPG
s14tilo

Post by s14tilo »

Haha, WOW.

Ok, i was having a really bad day(Exam results). Sorry about that. It just seems that the new people always get yelled at and made fun of for asking such a 'noob' question. It's frustrating that they expect me to know how to find everything. Thanks for the advice from most of you...and as for the rest...sorry you have to deal with my dumb questions, but, it's a forum, that's what they are for.
TanManS14

Post by TanManS14 »

But the question you asked wasnt just anything. Its probably the most commonly noobtastically used question on all of ka-t.org, besides what do i need for my t25 setup.
It's always broken.
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

300-400whp is nothing for either engine. If anything, a cometic..

The SR will allow for more boost on lower octane fuel, due to its lower static compression ratio.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
Prang11
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Prang11 »

This guy really belongs over on zilvia....
jmhalder

Post by jmhalder »

Prang11 wrote:This guy really belongs over on zilvia....
ditto, you know my first reply in this thread ended with
JM-****-HALDER wrote:lock this ****
and it shouldve ended there, but now that its gone on for so long, and everyone is egotistical here.... i vote for a BAN!!!

2 KA's down, 1+ to go.