Who wants a KA-T BAD!

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
SolTNutz
Learners Permit

Re:

Post by SolTNutz »

sunnys14 wrote:I hate KA-T
Why? Do they always beat your SR? Where I live a couple of years ago you could not give a KA away and now they sell for $1,000 + ( DE ). Tough bottom end, just add turbo ( and oil )... my last screw up.
The first comment is just my sense of humor.
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Re: Who wants a KA-T BAD!

Post by nissanfanatic »

Get rid of stock internals?
Get a standalone?

ha
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

To add my 1.5 cents.
NEVER buy someone else's already boosted car, especially if they sound cheap.

Talk to them a little and if they sound cheap, be ready.
Then if you pop the hood and see wires every where, missing connectors or sensors, cheap parts, fittings and tubing, RUN... RUN to the hills...lol.
Why?
Because you'll spend more money trying to figure out the numerous issue you'll run into.

So if you see a car like that, you're basically buying a shell.
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Cross......... Angry........ Miserable.........
SoundEfx up in here causing trouble......
"I'm a BAD man... BAD man doh dance..." ...... " That bam-bam is ..MINE..!! "
500hpKA240sx
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 500hpKA240sx »

^^no **** I hardly buy any car anymore "running" Id rather buy a car with a blown engine and have to build another one for it rather than pay decent money for a car that "runs great" and get it home just to find out it has problems.... cant trust anyone anymore. and as far as the title goes..I cant wait for my ka-r build to be done. just injectors a tune and a custom pulley that in the making as I type this out.
viewtopic.php?t=53160&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Paul Walker- 1973-2013 Race In Paradise. you will be forever missed
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Are the super chargers for the KA still available or are they as rare as the ones for a QR?
Image << Yuh dun know!!
500hpKA240sx
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 500hpKA240sx »

The m62 that bolts to the kit are a dime a dozen
viewtopic.php?t=53160&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Paul Walker- 1973-2013 Race In Paradise. you will be forever missed
marryme240sx
NooB

Post by marryme240sx »

Ive been in the process of completing my KA-T its been a month long trek, long days of yelling at my girl(240) and frustration but by the end of next week she should be all ready to take for a test drive.

Isis tubular bm mani-
garret t25 turbo
sr injectors-
isis 255 fuel pump-
Apexi Safc
RS enthalpy ecu
3" exaust
nismo test pipe
god speed 3" fmic

wish me luck guys :angel:
89 240sx coupe- Money pit#2
95 240sx Zenki- Money pit #1
96 ford aspire -DD
98 BMW M3- Money pit#3
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

marryme240sx wrote:Ive been in the process of completing my KA-T its been a month long trek, long days of yelling at my girl(240) and frustration but by the end of next week she should be all ready to take for a test drive.

Isis tubular bm mani-
garret t25 turbo
sr injectors-
isis 255 fuel pump-
Apexi Safc
RS enthalpy ecu
3" exaust
nismo test pipe
god speed 3" fmic

Good luck...

Why do you need both a SAFC and the enthalphy ecu?
Image << Yuh dun know!!
marryme240sx
NooB

Post by marryme240sx »

SoundEfx wrote:
marryme240sx wrote:Ive been in the process of completing my KA-T its been a month long trek, long days of yelling at my girl(240) and frustration but by the end of next week she should be all ready to take for a test drive.

Isis tubular bm mani-
garret t25 turbo
sr injectors-
isis 255 fuel pump-
Apexi Safc
RS enthalpy ecu
3" exaust
nismo test pipe
god speed 3" fmic

Good luck...

Why do you need both a SAFC and the enthalphy ecu?

I don't necessarily need it, I have had it left over from my ca18det
What do u think, not necessary?
89 240sx coupe- Money pit#2
95 240sx Zenki- Money pit #1
96 ford aspire -DD
98 BMW M3- Money pit#3
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

I liked having the SAFC for Dec Air function so I didn't have to recirc my BOV and to fine trim fuel curves.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
Use Linux...
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Honestly, if I have a flashed or modded ecu and a good tuning program, I would ditch the SAFC.

I have one Nissan tuned with Uprev software and an ecu flash and another with a SAFC.
Let's just say that I am currently looking at either Nimsotronic or Nistune to get rid of the SAFC.

It's not that it's bad, it's simply unnecessary if you're already tuned. You'll have all that wiring and extra connections for only one or two functions, which isn't needed if you make the necessary changes to your boost setup.

Think of it like this, if you have a Nistune tuned 240, would you then go and install a SAFC on top of it?
I would sell it and use the money for some more go fast parts...lol

That's my 1.5 cents.
Why?
Because recession.
Image << Yuh dun know!!
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

SoundEfx wrote:Honestly, if I have a flashed or modded ecu and a good tuning program, I would ditch the SAFC.

I have one Nissan tuned with Uprev software and an ecu flash and another with a SAFC.
Let's just say that I am currently looking at either Nimsotronic or Nistune to get rid of the SAFC.

It's not that it's bad, it's simply unnecessary if you're already tuned. You'll have all that wiring and extra connections for only one or two functions, which isn't needed if you make the necessary changes to your boost setup.

Think of it like this, if you have a Nistune tuned 240, would you then go and install a SAFC on top of it?
I would sell it and use the money for some more go fast parts...lol

That's my 1.5 cents.
Why?
Because recession.
Yea. I never used any tuning software. Your plan is a much better solution; I was just never gutsy enough to mess with my tune.ha All it ever needed was a little fuel pulled out up top.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
Use Linux...
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Most people get safc on top of rom tunes to trim fuel afr on high load. Rom tunes are known to run rich on top and people like to lean out. The issue safc is it fakes the maf signal to thinking less air is entering the motor and depending on the tune, will put you on a different tp cell for timing which could be to advanced. Most people put timing map the same across certain tp/rpm cells so this really does not pose a threat but it could be an issue.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

That is still weird to me.
If your tune is too rich on top, then retune it. So I still don't get it.

On the plus side, my Uprev tuned car is cable of storing 5 maps on the ecu and you could switch between them by using the cruise control buttons.
So you could have a 'conservative' and an 'aggressive' tune for what ever the situation.

I think I have a little hatred for the SAFC because, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is something called a 'tune drift'.
That is when the SAFC sometimes 'hiccups' and the stock ecu takes over. Well, just imagine that happening when you're at wot...(ouch)

So I always preferred a more 'permanent' ecu flash...etc than a wiring unit fooling the ecu.

Another thing is that I would be concerned about who is 'winning the fight' of telling the ecu what to do, the 'flash' or the SAFC.
Then I would be paranoid as to if either one of them is tuned right just in case the 'other one' wins.

Also, I HATE wires.....lol

I hope people don't think that I hate that set up because it's bad. It's more of my personal preference.
Image << Yuh dun know!!
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

SoundEfx wrote:That is still weird to me.
If your tune is too rich on top, then retune it. So I still don't get it.

On the plus side, my Uprev tuned car is cable of storing 5 maps on the ecu and you could switch between them by using the cruise control buttons.
So you could have a 'conservative' and an 'aggressive' tune for what ever the situation.

I think I have a little hatred for the SAFC because, correct me if I'm wrong, but there is something called a 'tune drift'.
That is when the SAFC sometimes 'hiccups' and the stock ecu takes over. Well, just imagine that happening when you're at wot...(ouch)

So I always preferred a more 'permanent' ecu flash...etc than a wiring unit fooling the ecu.

Another thing is that I would be concerned about who is 'winning the fight' of telling the ecu what to do, the 'flash' or the SAFC.
Then I would be paranoid as to if either one of them is tuned right just in case the 'other one' wins.

Also, I HATE wires.....lol

I hope people don't think that I hate that set up because it's bad. It's more of my personal preference.
It is something we did back in the day before there were tuning solutions. When I bought my Enthalpy tune, Scott was still doing all the tunes and all the tuning options weren't available. It was JWT/Enthalpy mail order tunes, Standalone, or SAFC.

It is also an option if you buy a mail order tune and don't plan on actually tuning the ECU yourself.

If you have the equipment and tune the ECU yourself, then it wouldn't make sense to have an SAFC on top of that.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
Use Linux...
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Oh, don't get me wrong, the SAFC is a brilliant tool.
There isn't an ecu tuning option for the 02 - 03 nissan sentras, therefore they depend on the SAFC for everything.

Well either that or the JWT flash which is a pain because as stated earlier, you have to mail your ecu to them.
( Waiting SUCKS!!!! )
Image << Yuh dun know!!
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

The reason why SAFC suck balls is because it does not control timing. You are better with an emanange or aem fic for those applications if mail order tunes are not avail or you do not want to spend money on a standalone.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
souljaseth33
240sx Wannabe

Post by souljaseth33 »

I've been working on my ka24de-t since 2009.. Switched setups multiple times, ran it last summer to only blow it up... Thats what I get for "just throwing it together".. Since then, I've been doing the following :

Arias 8.8:1 .20 over
Eagle rods
Crower stage 3 cams
BC springs and retainers
Xcessive intake manifold
JGS turbo set up (manifold, turbo, lines, downpipe)
Nismotronic
750cc injectors ( want to go to 1000cc)
PBM HMIC
and so much more... lol

All the while I am collecting parts for my ka24e-t build...

Picked up a second two tone coupe with stock sohc. I've already got most of the engine parts, but still trickling them in

Now

Hebrew Hammer - The baddest Heeb this side of Tel Aviv

www.slideny.com

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
bmaddock
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by bmaddock »

This is a cool thread. Funny to read some of the older ka-t.org members post up their excitement for results. I'm back in the waiting game as I correct some cut corners and work my way towards a better build. I wish I just went standalone from the get-go but wimped out because of cash even though it really isn't that much more in the grand scheme of things.

MSPNP, quality turbo, and better fitting manifold here I come!
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

I can't believe this thread was dug up. I'm potentially moving to Japan next spring. I might not own a car, but if so, a 4 door skyline is probably the order for the family -- or one of those small K-car like white vans that are very handy. I still miss 240s all the time, but my close friend has a cherry 1997 that is always fun to ride in and help out with. Privately, I still take PMs sometimes and help people learn how to tune in what little free time I have.

I'm not sure, but I think since this post originated I went and got a S14, boosted it well, and sold it in lieu of a WRX Wagon for the baby.... Anyway... Rockon ya'll.
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
SoundEfx
240sx Wannabe

Post by SoundEfx »

Make sure and send pics of some of the wicked rides they have there in Japan.
Image << Yuh dun know!!
Dr1ftM1ss3le
NooB

Post by Dr1ftM1ss3le »

Lol this thread...all over the place. Anyways I saw a few of you guys using nismotronic, I just boosted my first car a month ago and was debating on what tune to go with and chose the NismotronicSA package, if anyone has any input on this setup let me know what you think/thought of it. I have a '90 240sx hatch, KA24E-T on 16lbs with E60 Maf, stock head/intake manifold, ARP everything, cometic head gasket, forged 8:1 pistons, Ram-horn turbo manifold, and T04E T3/T4 turbo-53/63mm I believe...and open 3in down pipe. im still in the learning process so forgive me if i describe something wrong, only been in the world of boost a month...but its been a pretty cool month 8)