Ebay Parts Evaluation!

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
oaznbeasto
240sx Wannabe

Ebay Parts Evaluation!

Post by oaznbeasto »

I wanted to start a thread on evaluations on ebay parts. Wanted this thread to hopefully help out my fellow 240sx frugatistas! Items to post up: info, price, quality, personal rating, url if possible. There has been so much negativity towards ebay items, I wanted to share the good and bad experiences for everyone to see.

Ebay Underdrive pulleys-$50
They work great, good quality, they fit the ka, truly lightweight compared to stock, got them in red
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNDERDRI ... ccessories

Ebay Gasket kit-$42
Used all except headgasket and valve seals, gaskets looked like good quality, no leaks, fitment was perfect, well worth it!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99-2- ... ccessories

Ebay t25/t28 manifold-$95
Well-made, bracing is good, quality welds, no problems so far, installation was perfect
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-99-NI ... ccessories

Ebay 3" catback-$120
Awesome sound "Deep", welds look good, fitment was pretty on-spot, quality parts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT

I recommend all the items I just posted :D, I will keep adding as I gain more ebay parts!
Liger
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Liger »

I would post up your evalutations after you have used the products for at least a year. And keep in mind, just because a weld looks pretty, doesn't mean it's structurally sufficient.

All of my reviews below are from first hand experience on several accounts minus the crank pulley.

Ebay 3" exhaust
-Within a year's time, the brackets welded to the piping all cracked in some way or broke off.

Lightweight Crank Pulley
-Using a non-dampened crankpulley is not good at all for your engine. There is a thread on here about the side-effects of not having your crank dampened.

Ebay Turbos in general
-Ebay turbos are all junk, whether they are OBX, or any other variety. Stay far away...

Ebay T2 bottom mount manifold
-They have all generally seemed stand the test of time from what I've noticed and the one that I converted to a T3 flange.

Ebay T3/T4 top mount manifold
-Top mount manifolds seem to be junk still and usually crack within a year or so.
bmitchell_ga
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by bmitchell_ga »

Liger wrote:I would post up your evalutations after you have used the products for at least a year. And keep in mind, just because a weld looks pretty, doesn't mean it's structurally sufficient.

All of my reviews below are from first hand experience on several accounts minus the crank pulley.

Ebay 3" exhaust
-Within a year's time, the brackets welded to the piping all cracked in some way or broke off.

Lightweight Crank Pulley
-Using a non-dampened crankpulley is not good at all for your engine. There is a thread on here about the side-effects of not having your crank dampened.

Ebay Turbos in general
-Ebay turbos are all junk, whether they are OBX, or any other variety. Stay far away...

-They have all generally seemed stand the test of time from what I've noticed and the one that I converted to a T3 flange.

-Top mount manifolds seem to be junk still and usually crack within a year or so.

I don't have personel exp with all the "ebay" motorsports parts but with all the research I have done before doing my setup. I came to all the same conclusions. Or it could be that only the people with the bad exp's post it up. It would be interesting to see some long term usage reviews on these parts. Trust me If there was ways to save a few bucks I would had done it. I've just read to many problems with the stuff. Flame if you want I will just fill this thread with multiple fail links.

If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time you probaly want have it the second time either.
97 S14
329hp 320trq @ 13psi (on pump)
? @ 18psi (corn)

my build thread
viewtopic.php?t=51532&highlight=

E85, obd I con, Nistune, HKS hi-power exh, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 6-puck, K-Sport coilovers, Holset hy-35 turbo, Turbo Smart 38mm wastegate, HKS bov, JGS mani, mm's, & oil line kit, AMS fuel kit w/ 95pd inj's, lc-1 wb, Driveshaft Shop DS, Greddy profec b
emo_tactical9
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by emo_tactical9 »

Liger wrote:I would post up your evalutations after you have used the products for at least a year. And keep in mind, just because a weld looks pretty, doesn't mean it's structurally sufficient.

Ebay 3" exhaust

Lightweight Crank Pulley

Ebay Turbos in general

I trust this guys opinion, and I wouldn't really ever get eBay parts anyways.
I do, however, have a eBay intercooler kit and an eBay radiator. I have yet to use either.
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
Stay KA
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Stay KA »

This has been debated on thousands of times here. And although I haven't had experience with any of the parts mentioned I still think it's common sense which part to buy.

Do you want to roll the dice and buy a part that is made by someone who is getting paid by the amount of turbos or other parts he can assemble in a day, that lives in a struggling economy and is doing all he can just to feed and shelter his family?

Or do you want to buy a part that has been engineered, developed, tested, proven, and built at a shop that lives and breaths high performance cars and built by people who most likely enjoy the same thing.
-Richard

oaznbeasto
240sx Wannabe

Post by oaznbeasto »

Ebay 3" exhaust

Lightweight Crank Pulley

Ebay Turbos in general

Thank you thats the kind of stuff I want to know, I've had my equipment for a short period of time. I want to see how badly it degrades over time. I however dont believe in the items like the crank pulley, too much of a item that needs to be specifically built. I'm hoping because I have a flex section downpipe, less stress will be on my manifold and exhaust brackets.
street_240sx

Post by street_240sx »

i have ebay 3in exhaust and it works great and fits, i had issues at first but i think my test pipe was too short. and i have ebay intercooler and piping they look good. i would use anything but turbos,bov,wastegates,oil line or gauge. the manifolds tend to crack but if your reweld them before hand, i heard they are nice
03 evo8 gsr: stroker 2.3 ;)

04 evo8 gsr: totalled

96 integra gsr: sold

89 s13 coupe: stock dohc, gt3076, megasquirt

started 3/15/08, running 1/18/09, finally turbo 2/9/14 lmfao
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/91-99-2- ... 3301wt_914

$55 timing chain kit, one summer so good

Cant find the 50 dollar engine gasket kit, but one summer so good, just didnt use the headgasket

CXracing Turbo's- Havent seen one go out of any of my friends that have run them, I have the center section and exhaust housing on my car now. We blew up a Garrett super 60 on my friends 20th gti this summer at 30psi, but the CX racing super 60 held fine. I wouldnt recommend them for years, but as disposable turbos they are great

I wouldnt run an ebay manifold, I wouldnt buy any manifolds because I make them, but I wouldnt trust an ebay.

Intercoolers- Most all of them work great.
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

dang i just started a thread about ebay XTD flywheels....oh well.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
EAGLE-ARP-SUPERTECH 9:1 KA24DE
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
Full Race twin scroll manifold
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

as I've always said, its hit or miss guys.

Sometimes with eBay, the MFG process might vary. So you have some guy in lets say India, welding a manifold (just an example).... he might get different grades and quality of metal each day, so quality control is pretty much non existent. They work with whatever they have access to; to maximize profit.

Ebay is good for some cheap stuff, but I would not risk the car or the engine if I didnt have to. That said. Exhaust, gasket sets, wires, ...maybe. Turbos, underdrive pully, internal components... never
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

cx racing front mount intercooler kit. ROCKS. 209$ shipped, and the aluminum was easily welded even being my first time.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

i dont get why everyone sticks up for ebay. front mounts and ic piping ok. but turbos and i saw someone talking about an ebay lsd? come on no way. ill stay with my kaaz <3
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

240tuned91 wrote:i dont get why everyone sticks up for ebay. front mounts and ic piping ok. but turbos and i saw someone talking about an ebay lsd? come on no way. ill stay with my kaaz <3
because sometimes you wanna put **** together for cheap and go beat it, and sometimes you dont need to pay ridiculous prices for simple parts. to each their own, but the people who have the mentality of installing things like kaaz diffs spend a lot more money and it takes a long time to make their car anything
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

TinyT wrote:
240tuned91 wrote:i dont get why everyone sticks up for ebay. front mounts and ic piping ok. but turbos and i saw someone talking about an ebay lsd? come on no way. ill stay with my kaaz <3
because sometimes you wanna put **** together for cheap and go beat it, and sometimes you dont need to pay ridiculous prices for simple parts. to each their own, but the people who have the mentality of installing things like kaaz diffs spend a lot more money and it takes a long time to make their car anything

+1 took it right out my mouth.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
240tuned91
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240tuned91 »

if ur trying to diss me or something i am not offended.lol but i agree cheap stuff but no turbos no diffs
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

wrong thread oops
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

secondtonone317
In Our Memories - RIP

Post by secondtonone317 »

The funny thing is that people put down ebay parts and never even used them.....I think some things on ebay are ok to use just not everything
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

people will want to flame me for this but i kid you not when i say this

i sold my HKS hi power catback for $200.....paid $190 for a brand new OBX catback and not only was it new and shiny.....it actually looked and felt like a higher quality piece...and sounded very nice...much quieter ( which is what i wanted ) compared to my HKS.

i simply cannot fathom why people spend more than $200 on a catback ....seriously its a metal pipe.....so long as its made of stainless steel and isnt obnoxious sounding...what more are you paying for??
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT

Post by TinyT »

240tuned91 wrote:if ur trying to diss me or something i am not offended.lol but i agree cheap stuff but no turbos no diffs
no diss, im saying that if you buy everything brand name and dont go with any alternatives, its going to take you a long time to put something together. example, kaaz diff over a j30. yes there are benefits to the kaaz, but they dont justify spending what you do for one. have you run an ebay turbo? my guess is not, I wouldnt rely on one for 10's of thousands of miles, but they work fine, you guys are overanalyzing the complexity of a journal bearing turbo, its very simple, and wouldnt continue selling ass loads of them if they didnt work.
oaznbeasto
240sx Wannabe

Post by oaznbeasto »

truthfully if I could do it over again, I would have bought a ebay turbo! just think about it unless you have the dough to pay for a new garrett or whatnot ($up to 1000's) your going to buy a used turbo. Used turbo or brand new ebay turbo? There are so many variables for ebay turbos and diffs to fail, but guess what same thing can happen to quality goods. Poor install, alot of people dont know what the hell they are doing when they start putting things together! I bought a used sr-t25, supposedly minimal shaftplay, got it shook it a little guess what it clunked 3-4 mm shaftplay! **** was blown!, I rebuilt it (balanced and clean the right way) and it still blew the turbine seal. Guy told me some sh!t he pulled out of his ass, but after all that I spent enough to buy a new ebay. I would rather take my chance with brand new "inferior" turbo over a rice boy turbo anytime

oh ya plus is it me or when I visit honda sites and look up some ppl's builds that know there stuff, they have used ebay turbos with succession?
keytops

Post by keytops »

Lets see.
XTD clutches are ok, decent quality, I havent used but I know many who have, they're local to my area.

Ebay STAINLESS manifolds crack alot the top mounts more than the bottom. I've seen literal cracks in the pipes, not just the welds. Cheap material.

Ebay gaskets are ok, be careful with erristic brand, I've had numerous leaks an my first ka.

Do not buy the timing set from eportuning in el monte. I broke the chain and a sprocket after a month. The components looked like crap. lol I'll have to take a pic of the damage this weekend I still have the cam gear. I believe the sprocket cracked and then the chain snagged and broke. Major carnage right after I got my 240 back running.

Dont use undampened pulleys, the ka already has that half balanced crank causing all those bad harmonics.
98 s14 SE Track and weekender.
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

Tiny T, I've read of people replacing parts often.... buying 4 cheap parts = 1 good part.

Truth is, the Kaaz clutches can take the abuse. But, that being said, if you drift your daily driver, you kinda deserve to walk.
nismoz

Post by nismoz »

not ka parts but ebay anyway....xs-power(ssautochrome) t-25 header(d15 honda) been runnin for 1 1/2 yrs=no problems,xs-power bov no problems,ebay guages=no problems,bell engineering fmu(bought off ebay though)= no problems,ebay steering wheel=no problems,ebay turbo timer= no problems,ebay 255lph fuel pump(autotech 255) 120psi all day,also have the same pump on my eclipse for 2 1/2 yrs=no problems,ebay boost controllers everywhere=no problems as long as you know how there meant to be hooked up. just some ebay parts i thought i'd list. as for a statement some made"a struggling economy where someone is just trying to get a paycheck or a well r&d'ed part"...i say to that,we are that struggling economy where everyone is jus trying to get a check,at least I am,when i see cucumbers and pickles i see $$$$$ dollar signs.the garret t25 on that honda had bout 45k miles on it and it blew(two actually cause one was on my car also) and that was a"well r&d'ed part,but in my opinion being an OE 300zx part it should have lasted longer than 45k miles.how many of you would like to buy a $45,000 car and spend $5000 having turbo's replaced after you drove it only 45k.

I'm not defending ebay jus letting info be known(I hate the fact that our economy is like it is because we buy all this CHINA MADE,ASIAN MADE,MEXICAN MADE "BULLSHI*T"which means all the american currency is overseas now but there are a few things you can get from them thats ok). sorry bout the book! :x
BigNick wrote:We all know you don't know wtf ur talking about; Please stop posting ignorance.
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

Walperstyle wrote:Tiny T, I've read of people replacing parts often.... buying 4 cheap parts = 1 good part.

Truth is, the Kaaz clutches can take the abuse. But, that being said, if you drift your daily driver, you kinda deserve to walk.
you'v read.... this thread is for personal experiences, I just read that cometic gaskets suck, does that make them suck? no
keytops

Post by keytops »

I hope the "cometics suck" comment wasn't related to what I said in the other thread. They are great for turbo motors, just fussy with non-prestine heads and blocks.

I think this review is valuble:http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=157910&page=1

can be had for 375 on ebay

Any of you running the obx helical? I dislike obx for many reasons and would not use it in my car but if your broke and want some fun this will bolt in to your open diffs with factory output shafts, haven't heard of one breaking yet. Theres another s14 on zilvia who has ran it over a year with course drifting no problems yet. Dont forget to check backlash!
98 s14 SE Track and weekender.
drivemarcusdrive
Dreams of owning a 240!

Re: Ebay Parts Evaluation!

Post by drivemarcusdrive »

oaznbeasto wrote:I wanted to start a thread on evaluations on ebay parts. Wanted this thread to hopefully help out my fellow 240sx frugatistas! Items to post up: info, price, quality, personal rating, url if possible. There has been so much negativity towards ebay items, I wanted to share the good and bad experiences for everyone to see.

They work great, good quality, they fit the ka, truly lightweight compared to stock, got them in red

I recommend all the items I just posted :D, I will keep adding as I gain more ebay parts!

wait wait, u posted up a link to sr20 accessory pulleys. those all fit ka? water pump, ps, and alt?????? for 50? damn please confirm this is true!
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

i wanna build an all ebay race car!!!!!!!

seriously......lol
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

nismoz

Post by nismoz »

R34SR wrote:i wanna build an all ebay race car!!!!!!!

seriously......lol
ME also from a honda civic just to see wat i get,but haven't had time(even had the plans to put the color'd sponserd by ebay logo on it)! :lol:
BigNick wrote:We all know you don't know wtf ur talking about; Please stop posting ignorance.
oaznbeasto
240sx Wannabe

Re: Ebay Parts Evaluation!

Post by oaznbeasto »

yes sir they fit and work great can use stock belts, they are lightweight and pretty! :)

drivemarcusdrive wrote:
oaznbeasto wrote:I wanted to start a thread on evaluations on ebay parts. Wanted this thread to hopefully help out my fellow 240sx frugatistas! Items to post up: info, price, quality, personal rating, url if possible. There has been so much negativity towards ebay items, I wanted to share the good and bad experiences for everyone to see.

wait wait, u posted up a link to sr20 accessory pulleys. those all fit ka? water pump, ps, and alt?????? for 50? damn please confirm this is true!
nismoz

Post by nismoz »

also forgot something,ebay ic and piping(jdm sport) been fine even made it through a deer,a lil bent up but no leaks