Seafoam is the best!!!!

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
yojo006
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Seafoam is the best!!!!

Post by yojo006 »

I have been having a wierd idle the last year and could not figure it out. I changed sensors, ..ect nothing worked.....Till Seafoam came across my mind... Now my car runs great, little vibration issue but nothing like it was....
Anybody have experiance with SEAFOAM? :D
Last edited by yojo006 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somnambulist
240sx Wannabe

Post by Somnambulist »

Yes.
kentoJDM240

Post by kentoJDM240 »

great product for our old cars. It solved my pinging issues i had
1995 240sx se. Engine out
1990 SOHC Sold
01' Celica GT-S : CAI, Exhaust.
TryingToTurbo
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TryingToTurbo »

I seafoamed a 92 hatch, and somehow it developed rod knock three days later. it sure was fun to watch the smoke fill the neighborhood when it was done though!
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
RunninMeBrokeS13
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by RunninMeBrokeS13 »

sounds like you may have had a stuck open egr valve. little bits of carbon build up on it and stick it open a little. seafoam will fix that sometimes. fun stuff.
viewtopic.php?t=45810
aim-runninmebrokes13

its not turbo lag, its foreplay

E-Mance? think again, do it right do it white.
240drew wrote:The 240sx rolled out with a motor that was stout as queen latifas ankles and as sophisticated as a cannon ball.
yojo006

Post by yojo006 »

RunninMeBrokeS13 wrote:sounds like you may have had a stuck open egr valve. little bits of carbon build up on it and stick it open a little. seafoam will fix that sometimes. fun stuff.
Yeah i was thinking it was the egr valve, i took it off and cleaned the hell out of it ..so who knows.. these 98 240's have so much emissions crap it is not funny
keytops

Post by keytops »

Yup. I love seafoam. great stuff, make sure to let your iacv soak overnight in that stuff. I make my own "home brew" seafoam (naptha, kerosine, isopropyl alcohol) normally but I still highly recommend it. Deep creep works well for cleaning misc. things as well.
98 s14 SE Track and weekender.
s13grady

Post by s13grady »

+1, Seafoam is the ****.
92 s13 ka24det sc61 project.
street trim sleeper
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

i hear good things about it but im kinda scared to use it...i dont have any issues with my car so i figure if it aint broke dont fix it....but at the same time im a maintenance freak and when i hear about something that cleans your engine i get all excited and ****.

heard some stories about it cleaning so well it dislodged debris that can get in between bearings and cause issues.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
EAGLE-ARP-SUPERTECH 9:1 KA24DE
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
Full Race twin scroll manifold
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
yojo006

Post by yojo006 »

R34SR wrote:i hear good things about it but im kinda scared to use it...i dont have any issues with my car so i figure if it aint broke dont fix it....but at the same time im a maintenance freak and when i hear about something that cleans your engine i get all excited and ****.

heard some stories about it cleaning so well it dislodged debris that can get in between bearings and cause issues.
yeah i was scared to use it as well, but it is very very easy, alot of the people that i hear have problems are not using it properly, " it does have directions on the back. 1st- i would never use it in the oil with a high mile motor ...my opinion ~~ one of my 240's has 168xxx miles ..How i did it was through the brake booster vacumme line, just let it drink alittle then stop, drink ,stop...ect......Do not put the whole vacumme tube in the liquid. you can tell when you let it inguest to much b/c the motor will shake like crazy. Then shut the vehicle off for 5 or so then restart and dive for a couple of minutes...it will look like a masquito fogging vehicle.
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

lol you gotta be real careful no to hydrolock the engine, you can actually bend rods like that. mabe ill give it a shot since i cant seem to fix this stutter i get at 2800rpm.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
scz18
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by scz18 »

I'm considering using seafoam on my 170k (miles) 240sx. Engine seems to take a good bit of time to warm up and idles at like 1.2k for the good first bit of driving. Hoping seafoam will do me some good.
RunninMeBrokeS13

Post by RunninMeBrokeS13 »

R34SR wrote:i hear good things about it but im kinda scared to use it...i dont have any issues with my car so i figure if it aint broke dont fix it....but at the same time im a maintenance freak and when i hear about something that cleans your engine i get all excited and ****.

yea dont fix it if it aint broke lol
viewtopic.php?t=45810
aim-runninmebrokes13

its not turbo lag, its foreplay

E-Mance? think again, do it right do it white.
240drew wrote:The 240sx rolled out with a motor that was stout as queen latifas ankles and as sophisticated as a cannon ball.
zero415
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by zero415 »

Hmmm maybe i should seafoam mine... but then i might **** something up.. i did use it on my old sr20det setup through the intake and crap smoked like a freight train.... and then i got pulled over...
vrmilionzx
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by vrmilionzx »

I seafoamed my girlfriend's 200sx se-r a few years back, and drove it up and down the street at WOT. reminded me of that old spy hunter game - SMOKESCREEN!
arias pistons (8.8:1), pauter rods,
cometic headgasket
garrett t3/4 50 trim
mild p&p, pdm cams, 3" turbo back,
jwt flywheel and ecu, clutch specialties clutch
740cc injectors, ebay fmic,
elec fans, msd, stock vlsd, z32 brakes and mafs, safc2, hks evc 4, Koyo Radiator, protective layer of dirt.
-"stock" s13 dd - Project MPG
keytops

Post by keytops »

Being the maintinance freaks that we are I dont think anyone would have any adverse effects. That stuff really does a good job, start small if your worried.

I'll never forget the day I seafoamed the V-dub bus with 340k on a stock motor. We thought it would never stop smoking, not only did it fill the neighborhood with an unheard of amount of smoke it would smoke under load even the folowing day. But it ran great after that. still running BTW.
killab18
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by killab18 »

yea used this stuff of a few of my cars. never on a nissan yet though. but my integra, mx6, s10. and friends explorer. had great results on everything execpt the explorer.

It fouled out the plugs and motor never ran good again. lol. but ford sucks to begin with. haha.

I had the fire department called on me for this. Did it at work next to my shop. sitting in a parking spot free revving to get some to clear up, next shop over thought we had a car on fire. haha.

then took it down a straight street, opened her up and just a pure white cloud behind me.

Would be a great getaway plan. getting chased by a cop? hit a buttom to drop some seaform in your engine and punch it. Cops wont see where you went. haha. make a quick turn somewhere and shut the car off. haha. once the smoke settles they would have drove past you. hahaha
keytops

Post by keytops »

or die from the "black lung" hahaha
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

I want to ask a question about seafoam. 95% of the time I hear people go "WOW. Awesome. Loved it". I've seen my friend use it twice and those cars loved it too.

But... There is always someone who goes "I blew my motor... i bent a rod.. etc". It seems like 5%... i'm just making up figures...

The point. What do you do to ensure you dont' do damage? Is it specifically indicated on the seafoam can? I am curious if anyone has any specific advice as to how or why damage can be caused and what precautions can be taken to avoid them.

I'm not considering any seafoam anytime soon, but this info would be good to know for the future.
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

8-bit wrote:I want to ask a question about seafoam. 95% of the time I hear people go "WOW. Awesome. Loved it". I've seen my friend use it twice and those cars loved it too.

But... There is always someone who goes "I blew my motor... i bent a rod.. etc". It seems like 5%... i'm just making up figures...

The point. What do you do to ensure you dont' do damage? Is it specifically indicated on the seafoam can? I am curious if anyone has any specific advice as to how or why damage can be caused and what precautions can be taken to avoid them.

I'm not considering any seafoam anytime soon, but this info would be good to know for the future.
Kinda makes me want to find the can I have here in the house to see if they have disclaimers against further damaging your motor and liability.
keytops

Post by keytops »

Ok here's my .03 cents (I plan a long post)

Most auto service shops offer a fuel injector cleaning service. A petrochemical cocktail is dumped in a bottle that is attached to the vehicles fuel system and the shop air line. You pressurize the bottle to 10 psi under the normal fuel pressure. Start the car with no fuel pump fuse and run the stuff through the injectors. The FPR stops it from going to the tank Dealerships do it all the time. So its quite safe. The detergent helps break up the carbon so it can burn. Like soap helps dirt mix with water.

Most of these solutions are Naptha based. Naptha is the solvent that actually does the cleaning. Techron, STP, seafoam, ect. all naptha based. The bottled stuff you buy from the autostore also has a stabilizer to make it less volitile and not evaporate. Some detergents also have some form of oxygenate (MTBE, isopropyl alcohol, butanol, ethanol), this stuff helps the mixture burn more completely and cuts down on green house gasses. My point is that all the detergents are the same stuff in slightly different ratios. We pump these detergents into our gas tanks every time we fill up. Seafoam, STP ect. is just much more concentrated.

As far as motor damage I see only 2 explainations. A lot of seafoam was poured in the motor and it may have hyrolocked or almost hydrolocked and fatigued the rods. Or you already had motor issues and you thought dumping seafoam down a vac line would heal your rod knock or crappy compression and only added another variable to the mix once the motor finally gave up.

The directions on the car are very specific. Warm up the car (very important), rev and hold the RPMs at around 2 grand. SLOWLY pour a quarter can down the brake booster line. Then SLOWLY dump another quarter can through something that feeds the front of the motor (throttle body, vac line, intake port). Then turn the motor off and wait 10 minutes, then try to start the car while applying light throttle. Once it turns over rev it till it can idle on its own. Let it sit for a minute and then rev it or go for a drive. Dont push the motor hard till the tail pipe stops smoking. I like to drive the freeways to make sure I burn off as much carbon as I can.

Concentrated cleaning really makes a big difference on performance. If your motor runs funky afterwards you may have carbon fouled a plug or need to reset the ECU.

long ass post..... hope this helps someone.
nismoz

Post by nismoz »

normally i just pour seafoam in the gas tank,gonna get the same effect just not as fast.bending rods.....gotta be a dumbass with it for that to happen,kinda like compressing water(it don't compress)so if you dump that whole bottle in you may fill a cylinder with it and the rod/piston can't compress it.otherwise it's like filling up with gas>just drive it.
BigNick wrote:We all know you don't know wtf ur talking about; Please stop posting ignorance.
coolkat

Post by coolkat »

I have heard that water works really good at de-carbonizing an engine. i have never tried though. you do it the same way as sea foam. VERY SLOWLY. very hot (atomizes better) deionized water was recommended.

bottled water is cheaper than seafoam. i might try it on my honda and see if it works
t3/to4e, JWT S1 cams, CP pistons .020 over, UR pully set, z32 mafs, RC-750's, Walbro255, Aeromotive 1:1 fpr, CalumRT, Innovate lm-1
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

i definitely would not do that if i were you....water isnt combustible....at least not like seafoam and gas etc.....that definitely has the potential of bending a rod.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

yojo006

Post by yojo006 »

coolkat wrote:I have heard that water works really good at de-carbonizing an engine. i have never tried though. you do it the same way as sea foam. VERY SLOWLY. very hot (atomizes better) deionized water was recommended.

bottled water is cheaper than seafoam. i might try it on my honda and see if it works
Seafoam is $9.99 If you cant afford it dont do it at all..Now if it were like $100.00 for a 16oz bottle i would understand...cheep asses = Fail
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

lol
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

keytops

Post by keytops »

Water injection is good but you need to have a really good way of metering it and atomizing it. Seafoam cleans immediatly while water injection cleans over time.
coolkat

Post by coolkat »

i think that i will just put one of these extra vac lines that i got dangling around wasting perfectly good vac to use. i will just stick it in the windshield washer tank and never worry bout carbon buildup again. :lol:
t3/to4e, JWT S1 cams, CP pistons .020 over, UR pully set, z32 mafs, RC-750's, Walbro255, Aeromotive 1:1 fpr, CalumRT, Innovate lm-1
nismoz

Post by nismoz »

coolkat wrote:I have heard that water works really good at de-carbonizing an engine. i have never tried though. you do it the same way as sea foam. VERY SLOWLY. very hot (atomizes better) deionized water was recommended.

how about while you at it...dump a 2liter bottle of DR PEPPER in your engine too,when it welds your piston rings to the block you want have to worry about syphoning all that water out of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

were you really serious,thinking you should pour water in your cumbustion chamber? damn i hope not!use auto trans fluid or k1 if not something made for that purpose
BigNick wrote:We all know you don't know wtf ur talking about; Please stop posting ignorance.
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Lol i dont think he ment the gas tank...cant be that stupid . I think he ment through a vacuum line. And that also is a dumb idea lol.

Lol love the dr.perpper in the tank idea though ....gummy sugar pistons must taste nice.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25