what would you look for

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
Jin
Dreams of owning a 240!

what would you look for

Post by Jin »

If you were looking for a 240 for sale by a private owner how would you inspected the car before you buy it
kentoJDM240
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by kentoJDM240 »

floor it up and down the street, If you dont hear anything or dont feel a sudden drop in power then your good :D once you got it home take it for a full tune up, And maybe buy a rebuild kit from Underground motorsports

Good luck!
1995 240sx se. Engine out
1990 SOHC Sold
01' Celica GT-S : CAI, Exhaust.
Jin
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Jin »

Ha! Sounds like a deal ill do that btw what in a rebuild kit sry for not knowing
TinyT
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TinyT »

RUST. frame rail rust, front wheel well rust, along the bottom where it meets the frame rail, fuel and brake line rot. make sure everything inside work. look over the core support and that area to see if any structure was replaced (accident). do some hard shifts to see if the clutch slips or if syncros are worn, assuming your buying a 5 speed, if not do a few neutral drops for good measure, tool selling it shouldnt care, he is the one that owns an automatic 240. let go of the steering wheel at speed, see if the alignment is legit. look for wear on tires to see how the camber is. ask for any records on the car.

this is assuming your buying a clean car for a decent amount of money. on a 1000 dollar 240 i usually just toss the guy the cash and put it on the trailer.
wcbjr
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by wcbjr »

Cold start. Warm up. Floor it. Slam on brakes. Check all gears including reverse. Go on a flat straightaway for alignment. Shut down. Warm start. Check for leaks.

All fluids. Brake pad wear. Tire wear. Check jack points under car, make sure they didnt use underside unibody.

Check for crap under seats, general cleanliness. Check for spare tire and jack.

All lights, gauges (odometer...), wipers, windows, etc. Cold AC and warm heater. Cruise control.
s13grady

Post by s13grady »

Visual inspection should include,
Full exterior overlook.
Check all body panels, bumpers, lights, and doors.
Check tire tread, brake wear, suspension, and rocker panels etc..
You are going to want to check all frame rails for rust or points of impact.
Pop the hood, check out the engine bay. Look for possible engine issues or any damage/rust to the frame, radiator support, strut towers, battery tray and fender wells.
Keep in mind a thorough overlook will take over twenty minutes.
When I look at a potential car to buy, I check everything.

When it comes to checking the engine while running, Start the car, (ideally from a cold start). Let it warm up and listen/look for any issues it may have. You are going to want to know the mileage of the motor and its also good talk to the seller about his maintenance habits. Time for test drive. This is the "all feel" part of the inspection. You are going to want to feel the trans, acceleration, suspension, braking, turning as the car goes about. This will help you determine how solid the car is, and also where potential issue may be, or may soon arise. At this point you should have already checked out the interior a little bit. Look for cleanliness, broken instruments, test the e brake, smoking habits, speedometer/odometer/all gauges for functionality etc. There is a big difference between a interior that is still in nice shape, as opposed to something that has been ripped apart.

Basically, look at everything you possibly can and when driving, focus on how the chassis rides overall. Its okay to touch too, just dont touch really hot things.

After you feel you that you know about the car pretty good, you can start bargaining if you decide you are going to make a purchase.
92 s13 ka24det sc61 project.
street trim sleeper
s13grady

Post by s13grady »

Oh yeah, you are going to want to check to see if the vehicle has been worked on or tampered with too. Its always good to know what has been touched on the car or under hood. I forgot to mention that.
92 s13 ka24det sc61 project.
street trim sleeper
kentoJDM240

Post by kentoJDM240 »

http://undergroundmotorsports.com/index ... a24de.html

Is the rebuild kit i was talking about, Scroll down abit and it shows all the parts your getting.... Good luck dude! hope that 240 makes u happy, And drive it like u stole it!

Good luck.
1995 240sx se. Engine out
1990 SOHC Sold
01' Celica GT-S : CAI, Exhaust.
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

Rust or electrical issues

I paid over $5000 for my stock automatic 240 coupe just lately, but its got 60,000 miles on it, never abused, and its was damn near showroom condition. I plan on keeping it that way. This is my 4th, and I'm tired of driving trashy s13s.
fos240

Post by fos240 »

it's almost impossible to list everything to look for. most of us have been playing with these cars so long it's just second nature. if something looks out of place or wrong, it's huge flag saying "LOOK AT ME!". if you have any friends that have been into s chassis's for a while, take them along with you. i do agree with TinyT, if it's a cheap car, just look at the basic mechanicals. used cars are just that...used. there are going to be things wrong with them. if it's a healthy price on the car, i'd look over it more closely, but still keep in mind it is used. the newest ones are still over a decade old.

frankie
nismoz

Post by nismoz »

TinyT wrote:RUST. frame rail rust, front wheel well rust, along the bottom where it meets the frame rail, fuel and brake line rot. make sure everything inside work. look over the core support and that area to see if any structure was replaced (accident). do some hard shifts to see if the clutch slips or if syncros are worn, assuming your buying a 5 speed, if not do a few neutral drops for good measure, tool selling it shouldnt care, he is the one that owns an automatic 240. let go of the steering wheel at speed, see if the alignment is legit. look for wear on tires to see how the camber is. ask for any records on the car.

this is assuming your buying a clean car for a decent amount of money. on a 1000 dollar 240 i usually just toss the guy the cash and put it on the trailer.
^^^^^^this is all you need to do! note that he said..assuming your buyin a clean/low milage car for some jack....$1500 or less jus make sure it's not rusty.

DAMN,most of you expect a 1yr old cadillac or something don't you???
BigNick wrote:We all know you don't know wtf ur talking about; Please stop posting ignorance.
flatblack240
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by flatblack240 »

i agree with alot of you guys. I have had a few 240s and when i bought the one i had now i just looked it over and thought about things that were wrong with the others i had and this one was clean. It needed a little bit of work but that was expected. I bought my 92 fastback for 200 bucks...its not totally done yet but its getting there. With a little bit of time you can make it look better..heres a picture of my engine bay before and after...

I had rust on both shock towers, so we welded them, got them smooth and some bondo they turned out good. I also had some rust below the shock tower and the battery tray was gone so I cut and welded in a new tray and cleaned it all up.

-Evan
1992 Fastback
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

I would probably bring my Pbox and do a 1320 pull to see what it traps. Then, I would do some braking and cornering tests. You can typically find anything that is wrong with those three things.

If the owner isn't willing to let you floor his car if you show due interest in buying the vehicle, it is probably a **** anyways.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

nissanfanatic wrote:I would probably bring my Pbox and do a 1320 pull to see what it traps. Then, I would do some braking and cornering tests. You can typically find anything that is wrong with those three things.

If the owner isn't willing to let you floor his car if you show due interest in buying the vehicle, it is probably a **** anyways.
if i had to sell my 240 i wouldn't even let the guy drive my car....I would have to be the one driving the car and id gladly beat on it....unless he put all the cash im asking in my hand first as a deposit....i mean what happens if he crashes your car and he didnt put a dime in your hand? im not fond of watching that legal matter drag out , then proving that your car costs XXX amount over BB value cause you have a garrett gt35r, FMIC, BOV blah blah blah to the judge.

i guess that just means im never sellin silvia....my baby.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
EAGLE-ARP-SUPERTECH 9:1 KA24DE
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
Full Race twin scroll manifold
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

R34SR wrote:i guess that just means im never sellin silvia....my baby.
She's hispanic?
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

lol no my car has a jdm front end....with the silvia grille....so i just call her silvia.

But she has such a curvaceous ass its hard not to believe shes spanish....
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

R34SR wrote:lol no my car has a jdm front end....with the silvia grille....so i just call her silvia.

But she has such a curvaceous ass its hard not to believe shes spanish....
She cook and clean too?
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Nah but shes a good slut......loves it when i beat on her hard and long.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

R34SR wrote:Nah but shes a good slut......loves it when i beat on her hard and long.
Good then. That's all you need.
dread240
240sx Wannabe

Post by dread240 »

mine isn't even running yet and it's better then my wife, there's no nagging when I don't come over to work on it every other day
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

dread240 wrote:mine isn't even running yet and it's better then my wife, there's no nagging when I don't come over to work on it every other day

AHAHAHAH omfg guys like you are the exact reason im not married ....cause i dont wanna get like that lol.....sheesh its supposed to be the other way around....you should be nagging her!
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

joe62890

Post by joe62890 »

R34SR wrote:
dread240 wrote:mine isn't even running yet and it's better then my wife, there's no nagging when I don't come over to work on it every other day

AHAHAHAH omfg guys like you are the exact reason im not married ....cause i dont wanna get like that lol.....sheesh its supposed to be the other way around....you should be nagging her!
I'm married and never get nagged.
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

R34SR wrote:
nissanfanatic wrote:I would probably bring my Pbox and do a 1320 pull to see what it traps. Then, I would do some braking and cornering tests. You can typically find anything that is wrong with those three things.

if i had to sell my 240 i wouldn't even let the guy drive my car....I would have to be the one driving the car and id gladly beat on it....unless he put all the cash im asking in my hand first as a deposit....i mean what happens if he crashes your car and he didnt put a dime in your hand? im not fond of watching that legal matter drag out , then proving that your car costs XXX amount over BB value cause you have a garrett gt35r, FMIC, BOV blah blah blah to the judge.

i guess that just means im never sellin silvia....my baby.
I was under the impression we were talking about a stock 240sx. You can typically provide paperwork for a modified car, and I would be perfectly fine with somebody beating on the car while I rode in it.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
fos240

Post by fos240 »

joe62890 wrote:
same here. asian wifes rule!

frankie
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

fos240 wrote:
joe62890 wrote:
same here. asian wifes rule!

frankie

or is it that she nags you and you dont understand what shes saying? :wink:
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

fos240

Post by fos240 »

nah. she may talk crap about me in other languages to her friends, but she only speaks english around me. or some bisaya/tagalog/hindi/arabic words that i already know.

frankie
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

lol i feel the love
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

nismoz

Post by nismoz »

i think this thread turned into a comedy act,pretty funny.btw i don't get nagged either.
BigNick wrote:We all know you don't know wtf ur talking about; Please stop posting ignorance.
h240sx
240sx Wannabe

Post by h240sx »

really