Timing Chain KIt

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
slo240
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Timing Chain KIt

Post by slo240 »

So I am getting ready to finish my rebuild and was wondering if anyone has used this timing chain kit
http://mizumoauto.com/product/view/id/562

It looks like an ebay type kit and I wanted to know if something like this would be reliable. I am going for reliable and am willing to spend the extra $$$ if the OEM or another brand kit is reliable. The reason I am replacing the timing chain and gears is because the DE I bought was blown and I found out that it was due to the exhaust cam snapping just behind the timing gear (after taking it apart).

I bought a set of stock cams from someone and they came with the gears attached and was wondering if I could reuse these or I should buy the entire kit.

Thanks for the help.
JIC FLTA2s, tanabe underbody brace, JIC RUCAs, JIC traction rods, JIC rear strut bar

Built ka24de: Eagle rods, JE pistons 9:1, APR main & head studs, beck & arnley bearings, felpro gasket kit, N62 MAF, dual exhaust cam setup, AFC Neo, Innovate MXT-L wideband
boker240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by boker240 »

i got this exact kit when i built my motor.the idler sprocket didnot fit right for some reason!!!idk why but i put it all together and it wouldnt start and threw a cel for some reason ,,,cant remember cuz it was 3 years ago but to make it short i tore it all back down and the idler sprocket was not spinning at all,,,i put the original one back on and it worked fine after and have had no probs since.motor still runs to this day.gl
arias 8.8.1,615 tomie inj.,clevite bearings,arp 10mm hs,z32 maf,jwt ecu,intake butterflies removed,all emissions removed,cx rad. dif dual fan controller,altima dual fans,fidanza fw,stage 3 clutch,solid d shaft,j30 rearend,energy suspension bushings,kyb struts,155 lbs weight reduction.
currently n/a.

He'll probably blow the motor, and then join the army of retards who hate on KA's for no good reason.
slo240

Post by slo240 »

Awesome, thanks for the response. Would there be any reason that my idler sporcket couldn't be reused since the exhaust cam was broken?
JIC FLTA2s, tanabe underbody brace, JIC RUCAs, JIC traction rods, JIC rear strut bar

Built ka24de: Eagle rods, JE pistons 9:1, APR main & head studs, beck & arnley bearings, felpro gasket kit, N62 MAF, dual exhaust cam setup, AFC Neo, Innovate MXT-L wideband
Chuy

Post by Chuy »

I got this kit

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/product1492.html

No problems at all!!!
RAMM
240sx Wannabe

Post by RAMM »

Chuy wrote:I got this kit

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/product1492.html

No problems at all!!!
Good deal.
S14 KA-T2871r
GET GRIP FEELING!!!

Eloquentlytrack.wordpress.com
boker240

Post by boker240 »

slo240 wrote:Awesome, thanks for the response. Would there be any reason that my idler sporcket couldn't be reused since the exhaust cam was broken?
check the teeth and spin it to make sure its not warped in case it got hit.

fr sport has good products also....
arias 8.8.1,615 tomie inj.,clevite bearings,arp 10mm hs,z32 maf,jwt ecu,intake butterflies removed,all emissions removed,cx rad. dif dual fan controller,altima dual fans,fidanza fw,stage 3 clutch,solid d shaft,j30 rearend,energy suspension bushings,kyb struts,155 lbs weight reduction.
currently n/a.

He'll probably blow the motor, and then join the army of retards who hate on KA's for no good reason.
Just_Wanna_Drive
240sx Wannabe

Post by Just_Wanna_Drive »

Dude... u just said "ebay kit" and "reliable" in the same sentence...

I hate to sound like a smart-ass, but come-on man?

save up and get the oem... the guides are really the most important things to get imo.

unless of course u had a major failure with a sprocket or something... :wink:
Formally known as: Caspers_240
I am anti JDM.
boker240

Post by boker240 »

Just_Wanna_Drive wrote:Dude... u just said "ebay kit" and "reliable" in the same sentence...

I hate to sound like a smart-ass, but come-on man?

save up and get the oem... the guides are really the most important things to get imo.

unless of course u had a major failure with a sprocket or something... :wink:

dude! do u know how much a t chain is from nissan!?!?!!?!?aftermarket t chains are fine.per nissan 2 of the guides are obsolite.top one and exhaust side .idk what was wrong with my idler sprocket but every thing else worked right.i would go with fr sport or one of this sites sponsors....
currently n/a.

fos240
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by fos240 »

i can't say anything about the quality of the aftermarket chain kits. but if it's anything like aftermarket thermostat's, distributor rotors, caps, plug wires, and throw out bearings, you're better off just getting the oem parts. and if the idler sprocket gave you a problem, to me that would be a blazing red flag. "um, maybe i shouldn't be using this." lol
Just_Wanna_Drive wrote: the guides are really the most important things to get imo.
i think you mean the tensioners. the upper guides are obsolete.

frankie
Last edited by fos240 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

iv run a 65 dollar ebay timing set in my built motor for a year now...
boker240

Post by boker240 »

TinyT wrote:iv run a 65 dollar ebay timing set in my built motor for a year now...

werd! not that im promoting ebay sh*t but i also got mine from mizumo(spelling) and ive got 26,000 miles on this motor with 15,000 of it boosted 15 psi daily.

fos,,,thats what i thought too but i gambled and won that time as i posted above got 26,000 miles on it.
currently n/a.

fos240

Post by fos240 »

cool deal. sometimes it works out. kinda like harbor freight. i have a love/hate relationship with harbor freight. they have some good stuff that is cheap. and they have some junk that is cheap. it's up to us to figure out which is which.

frankie
Just_Wanna_Drive
240sx Wannabe

Post by Just_Wanna_Drive »

fos240 wrote:
Just_Wanna_Drive wrote: the guides are really the most important things to get imo.

frankie
Sry, I was talking about the lower guides... The updated design OEM ones are a **** ton more beefy than the cheap ones I looked at b4 I bought the OEM ones... I had 145k miles on my oem chains and it had no signs of wear on them, so I reused them...

I bought oem guides and tensioners and called it a day...

do what u want, and good luck with the cheap stuff if u go that route... I know for me, I've put way too much time, $$, and effort in gambling on chineez crap for the internals of my motor... :wink:
Formally known as: Caspers_240
I am anti JDM.
yojo006

Post by yojo006 »

Just_Wanna_Drive wrote:
fos240 wrote:

frankie
Sry, I was talking about the lower guides... The updated design OEM ones are a **** ton more beefy than the cheap ones I looked at b4 I bought the OEM ones... I had 145k miles on my oem chains and it had no signs of wear on them, so I reused them...

I bought oem guides and tensioners and called it a day...

do what u want, and good luck with the cheap stuff if u go that route... I know for me, I've put way too much time, $$, and effort in gambling on chineez crap for the internals of my motor... :wink:
Right there w/ ya!!
koukidriver
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by koukidriver »

when it comes to Timing Chain KIt i go with Oem nothing better
s13newbie
240sx Wannabe

Post by s13newbie »

2 stupid question....

1. what is so bad about the ebay or autozone timing kits? what specificaly is bad about them?

2. when i buy my new timing chain, do the sprockets and tentioner have to be replaced? what would be bad about reusing the stock sprockets and tentioner and just getting a new chain? because my cusin just bought a new chain and said he disassembled and cleaned the tentioners and reused the sprockets. and he has over 20,000 miles at 12 psi with that setup but its only beed 3 months(he drives all over the U.S. for work. we went from AZ to KY to IL and back to FL in just 5 weeks recently)
1991 240sx hatchback
Engine/drivetrain- Injen intake, K&N cone filter, centerforce stage II clutch, custom 1 peice driveshaft,dual altima E-fans, mini filter for pcv valve on valve cover.

Chassis- Eibach pro springs, KYB GR-2 struts, front & rear strut tower brace

Prime 15" rims
fos240

Post by fos240 »

everything about the timing chain kit is a wearable item. the only things i would trust reusing would be the idler sprocket, cam gears, and crank sprocket. but even those get worn. (so i'd replace those too.)

frankie
boker240

Post by boker240 »

to the op,if u want a badass timing kit go with the ams kit.its $350 and u gonna pay close to that with oem from nissan and the ams is better quality chain.they use this kit as a race app.
currently n/a.

blacks13coupe

Post by blacks13coupe »

I read somewhere on here, fits this situation nicely. Do it right, or do it twice. OEM only.
s13grady

Post by s13grady »

I know that AMS sells a Timing Component Kit too. Never heard a review of it though.
92 s13 ka24det sc61 project.
street trim sleeper
boker240

Post by boker240 »

just priced the oem t chain and at my local nissan dealer its not even a kit,it is individually priced.total for everything u would get in an after market kit =$655.90 @ the dealer....id go with the ams bro..imo.gl
currently n/a.

RunninMeBrokeS13

Post by RunninMeBrokeS13 »

i made decent power on an ebay kit no problems at all. car made 412hp on it. some of you people talk alot of shi-t on ebay stuff but i guarantee none of you used it. there should be a rule on here, dont talk **** on parts unless you have first hand experience of it breaking on you. just like ebay turbos, if your not looking to make serious power and a decent dd the fuc-k ebay ftw. a cx-racing turbo has outlasted a 16g that was freshly rebuilt on my friends talon. so unless you use the stuff, dont talk about it.
viewtopic.php?t=45810
aim-runninmebrokes13

its not turbo lag, its foreplay

E-Mance? think again, do it right do it white.
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
240drew wrote:The 240sx rolled out with a motor that was stout as queen latifas ankles and as sophisticated as a cannon ball.
torch'd

Post by torch'd »

^ your not an idiot... i like that... it is true if used properly ebay stuff aint horrible.... just not ideal
going fast, i can do that... this going sideways thing is tricky.....
boker240

Post by boker240 »

RunninMeBrokeS13 wrote:i made decent power on an ebay kit no problems at all. car made 412hp on it. some of you people talk alot of shi-t on ebay stuff but i guarantee none of you used it. there should be a rule on here, dont talk **** on parts unless you have first hand experience of it breaking on you. just like ebay turbos, if your not looking to make serious power and a decent dd the fuc-k ebay ftw. a cx-racing turbo has outlasted a 16g that was freshly rebuilt on my friends talon. so unless you use the stuff, dont talk about it.
werd!should be a rule;experience as in the expeirence of acually using it and first hand experience.
currently n/a.