It's all fun and games until someone breaks a gas tank!

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
shift_jin
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

It's all fun and games until someone breaks a gas tank!

Post by shift_jin »

Early today i went out for a slide in the 240 (not on a public road). Later today i noticed a wet spot under the gas tank on the ground. it is still leaking about a drip a second right now. it drips from the top and runs down, but it's not evident from the fuel pump axcess door. also keying over doesn't seem to make any difference so i am guessing it is not that easy of a problem.

i have been pondering on how it happened... i guess i won't know until i remove my tank.
contact me for 5 lug hubs, aluminum uprighs, z32 e-brake assembly, and z32 calipers
z32 part-outs
Liger
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Liger »

Does it still leak after you take unscrew your filler cap?

If your EVAP is plugged, it could have built up pressure and an old vent line for the EVAP could be cracked and leaking slowly now. If it's not that, check your filler next.
keytops
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by keytops »

its behind the center strap by the diff. rocks get in there and make pin holes, seen it a many times times. I used turck bed liner on mine to keep it from getting holes after I saw several people with the same problems. btw that gas tank repair where you mash it together...no good. need to weld it (with no gas or fumes inside).
98 s14 SE Track and weekender.
Jordan Gladman
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Jordan Gladman »

keytops wrote:its behind the center strap by the diff. rocks get in there and make pin holes, seen it a many times times. I used turck bed liner on mine to keep it from getting holes after I saw several people with the same problems. btw that gas tank repair where you mash it together...no good. need to weld it (with no gas or fumes inside).
I would strongly suggest finding another tank... welding your gas tank is a bad idea unless you're incredibly thorough. A few drops of gas left in the tank could result in shards of 20ga steel in your neck.
Pacman
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Pacman »

If your avator is what you drive then I believe that you car has a plastic tank (S14). I don't have my car to go look. If thats the case, it needs to be plastic welded.
'96 Ultra Red SE. Long way to Turbo.
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

Jordan Gladman wrote:
I would strongly suggest finding another tank... welding your gas tank is a bad idea unless you're incredibly thorough. A few drops of gas left in the tank could result in shards of 20ga steel in your neck.
listen to this man
keytops

Post by keytops »

I've welded them before, I normally clean the tank with acetone to get the varnish off the walls. Let it sit till the fumes are gone which acutally doesn't take long as you think it would, especially if its in the sun. Tack the areas that need repair. You have to have a air fuel mixture for any sort of combustion. Dont trust the movies, trust science. If there is no fuel then there is no problem. so make sure there is no fuel vapor or sitting fuel. Leaving it in the sun on a windy day really helps get all the little pools of gas out

Make sure to give your welds a good coating of POR15 or atleast some truck bed liner. Did you find the hole yet?
bane
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by bane »

s14 gas tanks are plastic. They are also alot harder to remove than the s13 ones. Get ready to spend some time getting it out. I highly suggest you doing it on a lift.
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

keytops wrote:I've welded them before, I normally clean the tank with acetone to get the varnish off the walls. Let it sit till the fumes are gone which acutally doesn't take long as you think it would, especially if its in the sun. Tack the areas that need repair. You have to have a air fuel mixture for any sort of combustion. Dont trust the movies, trust science. If there is no fuel then there is no problem. so make sure there is no fuel vapor or sitting fuel. Leaving it in the sun on a windy day really helps get all the little pools of gas out

Make sure to give your welds a good coating of POR15 or atleast some truck bed liner. Did you find the hole yet?

You ever made a potatoe gun that uses gasoline?

Thats all I have to say......
PandaPants
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by PandaPants »

I like potatoes.
RyanLS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by RyanLS14 »

Awww...screw getting a replacement OEM tank just switch over to a fuel cell, save the weight and the worry about this happening again. IMO :D
Just because I'm new to custom FI, doesn't mean I know nothing about cars.
keytops

Post by keytops »

You ever used your spud gun with no gasoline in it? how'd that work out?
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

That was my point, you can take like 2-3 shots on a single spray of gas because once you reload it and get some more oxygen in there, the residual gas in the cracks of the fittings and where ever else is enough to get another decent shot, a small drop of gas can make enough vapor for a pretty powerful explosion.

You miss 2 little drops of gas in your tank when you go to weld and it will blow up in your face. With all the baffles and inaccessability in the tank, you'd pretty much want to pressure wash it inside and out before you even think about welding.

And while we're on the subject... slightly unrelated, but interesting.