Broken MAF wire-help w/repair?

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Broken MAF wire-help w/repair?

Post by niceguy »

Hey guys, I've had issues running rich literally off and on for years (stalling, funky exhaust,etc) and finally found the problem. Signal wire finally broke in my hands at the MAF connector plug.

I guess first thing is to find a new tiny spade connector which might be tough at almost 5pm today, but any tips on removing the broken spade, etc?

I remember some using a paperclip maybe and I have a set of mechanic type picks..

Thanks guys!

Jeremy
stewiefied
240sx Wannabe

Post by stewiefied »

i cant really help you on getting them out of the connector, but im sure you can find that on the interwebs,
But if you have any spare connectors like a/c or if you removed emissions solenoids you can take them from the spare connectors, then you even have a nice wire to solder in.
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Post by niceguy »

Yeah, I'm going to try to figure out how to remove the wires/terminals without the removal tool (have to get it from a Snap On, etc truck I've been told) but I'll probably just have to go to the junkyard and splice another connector into my wiring.

I've dealt w/the Parts Manager at the local Nissan for a few years now and he just told me he has a bunch of old harnesses/connectors in the back that I can rummage through in the morning so :D

Sad that I'm excited over going through old electrical harnesses isn't it??

Jeremy
TryingToTurbo
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TryingToTurbo »

niceguy wrote:Yeah, I'm going to try to figure out how to remove the wires/terminals without the removal tool (have to get it from a Snap On, etc truck I've been told) but I'll probably just have to go to the junkyard and splice another connector into my wiring.

I've dealt w/the Parts Manager at the local Nissan for a few years now and he just told me he has a bunch of old harnesses/connectors in the back that I can rummage through in the morning so :D

Sad that I'm excited over going through old electrical harnesses isn't it??

Jeremy
Yeah, just find a new connector and solder it on. I wouldn't go through the hassle of depinning a connect and then repinning it.
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

I just finished making a conversion harness for my Z32 maf and FYI the throttle position sensor has the same plug as the MAF, so you can use that plug too, just thought id throw that out there. :wink:

For a quick fix you can get the 1/8" spade connectors and crimp them onto the wires and manually plug in the pins too, just dont mess up the order and burn out your ecu like I did a couple years back.
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Post by niceguy »

Hey I noticed that this evening too! I just can't get the old terminal out of the harness connector. Even if I end up splicing, I'd like to figure out how to remove it w/o destroying the connector (might need it down the road)

When you mentioned using spade connectors to plug them in, did you mean cutting off the MAF harness connector completely and then crimping new terminals on the 3 wires?

If so, how do you keep moisture and dirt out?

Jeremy
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

Yeah, cut it right off and use silicon or hot glue and fill in the connector with adhesive. Hot glue is best because you can heat it up later to remove the plugs.
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Post by niceguy »

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the input....The Nissan parts dept did have a connector repair 'kit' but not having my stock connector with me, I didn't have time to figure out which terminals I needed and which tool to use/how to use it.

So I shot by the local LQK and snipped a couple of connectors (wasn't even charged for it). I cut my harness connector off and then crimped some small spade connectors onto the junkyard connector's wiring and my harness wiring, heat shrinked and electrical taped everything back so you can't even tell.

The quick connects were just in case it ever happens again but the car runs great!