What ka block do I have?

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
ryan987
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

What ka block do I have?

Post by ryan987 »

Looking to buy a long block off a buddy that is already stripped down and taken apart.

There are 2 sets of cams. One set with greenish paint on them and a set with brownish/orangeish paint on them.

The block has "5co m2" on the exhaust side near the front cover. What block and model did this come out of?
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Walperstyle »

ignore this post, I was wrong!
Last edited by Walperstyle on Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azS13
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by azS13 »

^^^^^ this is NOT true. The blocks are not the same. The sohc one and the frontier one are the same, idk about the one from the altima, but the dohc from the 240 is different from sohc and frontier. The power steering bracket mounts are on opposite sides and the mounts for the alternator are slightly different and you can not put a dohc stock intake on because it will hit the alternator. Im not sure if that is the only difference or not but I know that much is true from personal experience.
91 240sx- always broken
1jz project started May 2011
Running finally Oct 5, 2014
R34SR wrote: 240sx = half sports car half truck.....cant decide if you want to track it or tow a boat.
ryan987

Post by ryan987 »

the head is fine im not concerened about that i am more concerned about the block. my buddy got it from a kid that was going to build it for his s14. if this block is going to cause a problem then im not going to bother buying it. my buddy is asking 200 for a complete longblock (valve cover to the oil pan) what do you guys think it is worth shelling out the cash for just the block and head since im going with aftermarket rods and pistons.

if anyone has a single slammer can you please tell me whats stamped on the block please
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

Sorry for the late reply. Went to the garage. I have two DE blocks, both have KA24 stamped on them, above that is a serial number. This is located at the top of the engine, near the back. (so no help here)

HOWEVER!
Differences between both my DE blocks is

s14: Other numbers on the block, bold are 5C0 and the s14 block has a Frost plug opposite the starter about 1.5 inches from where the head meets the block

s13: bold number 53FM2 (this block does not have a frost plug in the same spot as the s14 block. I'm sure its a s13 block being it had s13 head, and s13 dizzy with it when I purchased it.)

So, maybe check what you have vs what I have with my DE blocks, maybe you have something different that is SOHC? I dunno. Least its a little help.
ryan987

Post by ryan987 »

Thank you so much. Now I just need to find out what head it is. I'm guessing the dizzy is different on the s14?? Thank you again
azS13
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by azS13 »

Yes, the dizzy is different on s13 and s14. The s14 dizzy has the coil built in, where the s13 dizzy uses a seperate coil.
91 240sx- always broken
1jz project started May 2011
Running finally Oct 5, 2014
R34SR wrote: 240sx = half sports car half truck.....cant decide if you want to track it or tow a boat.
ryan987

Post by ryan987 »

great thank you for the information. i can use the s14 long block with all the s13 components including harness correct?
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

so you are building a SOHC engine or DOHC? if its DOHC you for sure need to have the proper timing cover pending on if you are doing s13 or s14 dohc head. Also the valve cover is different for dohc engines.

here is a thread where I asked a similar question as you did
viewtopic.php?t=43634&highlight=valve+cover+difference

and
viewtopic.php?t=44529&highlight=valve+cover+difference
ryan987

Post by ryan987 »

i am not building anything yet but it is a dohc ka. my buddy picked up a long block from a kid and now he is selling it to me since he no longer has a 240. he got the engine already torn apart but has every piece. long block including brackets oilpan and valvecover.

can anyone point me in the right direction to identify my cylinder head, valve cover, front covers.. anything else that is s14 specific.

from what it looks like everything lines up correctly when i was messing around with it.
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

If the oil pan is off, you can check to see if it has the oil squirters for the pistons. But that will only tell you that it is a DOHC block. Not whether it's an S13/S14 DOHC.

That's all I have to contribute. Hope it helps.
ryan987

Post by ryan987 »

haha thank you but we already came to the conclusion it is dohc. it has the squirters and is marked 5co m2 on the block. my buddy got the long block already torn down. im going to guess that everything is s14 since the kid that was going to build it already had 2 ka'ts and seems to know what he is talking about. thank you for your help
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

ryan987 wrote: can anyone point me in the right direction to identify my cylinder head, valve cover, front covers.. anything else that is s14 specific.
those links in my above post should help with cylinder head Identification. Basically, even if you dont have a valve cover, you can figure out by looking at where the cover bolts up to it. Just like a puzzle.
RyanLS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by RyanLS14 »

Good info here, I actually did not know how to differentiate (embarrassing to admit honestly.) Thanks guys. :D
Just because I'm new to custom FI, doesn't mean I know nothing about cars.
Alex081189
Learners Permit

Post by Alex081189 »

If your still wondering if the cylinder head is S13 or S14, here an easy way to tell. Look at the back of the head and/or valve cover if there are three bolt holes it's S14 if there are only two it's S13.