Crank Balance

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
Ekinchheng
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Crank Balance

Post by Ekinchheng »

Well I just drop off my crank,block.and head at a local machine shop. The block deck,hone,bored, and hot tank. The head gets deck,valve job, set lash, and cleaned. Crank gets polish and clean. Now he's charging me $700 for this job + not including balancing the crank. Is it required to get it balanced? Balancing will be around 100 more
SleepyS-14
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by SleepyS-14 »

sounds about right
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of lifes problems.

SOHC S-14...
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

a place quoted me 450 just to deck, bore, and hot tank...
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Ekinchheng

Post by Ekinchheng »

Wow that's expensive, i guess it varies from location. My block work is around $300 and head $400. I just went to the machine shop and they told me $250 for balancing the crank assembly. I think that's too much. Is it required to get the crank balance? The block never spun no rod or nothing. Has anyone had their block machined and didn't balance it was their any side effects?
TinyT
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TinyT »

supakat wrote:a place quoted me 450 just to deck, bore, and hot tank...
and you realized you dont like being taken in the rear and didnt pay that right?
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

Ekinchheng wrote:Wow that's expensive, i guess it varies from location. My block work is around $300 and head $400. I just went to the machine shop and they told me $250 for balancing the crank assembly. I think that's too much. Is it required to get the crank balance? The block never spun no rod or nothing. Has anyone had their block machined and didn't balance it was their any side effects?
if your in there already have your rotating assembly balanced, its just what you do.
SiNcIDiUs
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by SiNcIDiUs »

I paid around that much for everything you got. Balancing is a good idea IMO. I like as much insurance as I can get when doing a build. Why not get it balanced? Your in $700 so far, whats the extra $100 gonna hurt?
cheap,fast, reliable,, pick 2 cuz u'll never get all 3 -boker240
Ekinchheng

Post by Ekinchheng »

yeah I just told the machine shop to balance the rotating assembly it cost $250 I mind as well just do that while i'm this far. Now I needed a flywheel I'm thinking of doing the white bunny swap and use a d21 flywheel and 300zx clutch from autozone. I read a ton of info of this swap i know it holds alot of torque and hp but can i use this clutch if i'm drag racing? or just invest in an performance clutch?
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

Ekinchheng wrote:yeah I just told the machine shop to balance the rotating assembly it cost $250 I mind as well just do that while i'm this far. Now I needed a flywheel I'm thinking of doing the white bunny swap and use a d21 flywheel and 300zx clutch from autozone. I read a ton of info of this swap i know it holds alot of torque and hp but can i use this clutch if i'm drag racing? or just invest in an performance clutch?
spend the money and get a good southbend 300zx clutch, hell with replacement part garbage.
NPD
240sx Wannabe

Post by NPD »

I spend more on machining than most people because of my past experiences with many machine shops. Not many machine shops can hold a tolerance 5 microns (0.005mm or 0.00019685 inches)

But I'd definitely balance the crank. If budget permits I would balance your other components too.
HKS T51R-KAI
MoTeC
802rwhp so far....