Collecting parts for my KA-T 1972 240z!

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
kjones
240sx Wannabe

Collecting parts for my KA-T 1972 240z!

Post by kjones »

Hey all

i'm new to the forum - live in the Tampa area

i have a perfect 240Z that I'm going to put a conservative KA-T into for daily driving...

Will have AC and all the comforts

If anyone has any knowledge/advise I'm all ears

If you're local I might even pay you to do the install...

PM me

Ken
beercandrifter
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by beercandrifter »

do you have any goals for your ka-t? there are people who daily drive 700hp cars here

good thread to start
viewtopic.php?t=6263

if I were to do it again and I was having someone else do the work do these things:
buy a pre done manifold, albeit ebay or a 700$ nice manifold
buy a turbo that fits on the manifold in our car, standard t25/t28/t3
use a tuned ecu like enthalpy or jwt
use a standard maf setup, ie the z32
use a standard injector size like the 550cc's
buy a wideband o2 with a gauge
buy a fuel pump
buy a ebay intercooler kit
buy a 1g dsm bov
buy a quality wastegate

sometimes if your lucky, you can find people selling their whole setup, would just buy that if you want quick and easy

have a shop on the east coast of florida that did an awesome job for me on my ka-t install if you decide to go through with it
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
kjones
240sx Wannabe

Post by kjones »

My goals are conservative. I want rock solid reliabilty. I suppose if that means 280 hp I would be fine with that. The car only weighs 2300 pounds so it will be fun to drive in that range.

If I could find a motor/tranny/ecu/harness all setup and ready to go I'd be all over it

Ken
booztd3
240sx Wannabe

Post by booztd3 »

sounds like a fun project
Wiseco/Eagle combo 9:1
Arp'd everything
Kelford 272/272
Garrett/Ballistics 70mm turbo
AEM ems series 2
ls2 truck coil conversion
Devils own methanol injection
Bosch 1600cc injectors
AEM fpr
AEM fuel rail
Rewired dual Walbro fuel pumps SPEC stage5 clutch

"god invent turbo lag to give v8's a chance "
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

imagine the z came with an l24. Many people swapped this motor our for the l28et. Around 175 hp in a 2200 pound car dubbed the porsche killer back in the days.

i love this video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 604514213#
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
kjones
240sx Wannabe

240Z KA-T

Post by kjones »

Yes - I've had several L series turbo Z's - I have moved on from the old L Motors. I took them as far as possible... The parts are getting harder to find and the reliability was a challenge when you really push them to their limits. I also supercharged the L Motor a few years back for Sport Z Magazine

I like the idea of a really light 4 cylinder that makes good power and has parts readily available... Heck if I blow up a stock KA you can find used replacements very cheap.

When you guys see this particular Z you're gonna be amazed - it is CLEAN!

I am on a budget these days so hopefully I can get it running pretty inexpensively.

I also have a 1975 280z with a LS1 in it - it's almost finished - should be able to start it within 2 weeks...

Both of these cars will be my Daily Drivers - I drive 45 miles one way to St Petersburg everyday
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

keep us updated with both z's and post pics.
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
kjones
240sx Wannabe

Post by kjones »

beercandrifter wrote:do you have any goals for your ka-t? there are people who daily drive 700hp cars here

good thread to start
viewtopic.php?t=6263

if I were to do it again and I was having someone else do the work do these things:
buy a pre done manifold, albeit ebay or a 700$ nice manifold
buy a turbo that fits on the manifold in our car, standard t25/t28/t3
use a tuned ecu like enthalpy or jwt
use a standard maf setup, ie the z32
use a standard injector size like the 550cc's
buy a wideband o2 with a gauge
buy a fuel pump
buy a ebay intercooler kit
buy a 1g dsm bov
buy a quality wastegate

sometimes if your lucky, you can find people selling their whole setup, would just buy that if you want quick and easy

have a shop on the east coast of florida that did an awesome job for me on my ka-t install if you decide to go through with it
PM me the name of the shop you used - I'm going to do it - I finalized my decision last night
car6on14
240sx Wannabe

Post by car6on14 »

I checked out a 240z w/ a VQ 45 swap 2 yrs ago b4 buying my 240sx. Was pretty cool but kinda rough, and the guy claimed that it was a finished car... Needless to say, the brakes started going during the test drive :-0 and I figured I couldnt trust the rest of the car... but def think both eng's are great options. A local guy is talking about doing an RB in a 240z but I would go with something more common and easier to get parts for just like your saying, good luck and looking forward to seeing pix!
92 Coupe - forged internals - stage 2 cams / ss valves
Aem Series 1 - Billet 50 Trim - ram style manifold- Aero 340
Hydro Ebrake - JSK coilovers - ISIS Rucas - Hicas rack - Ksport BBK
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

car6on14 wrote:I checked out a 240z w/ a VQ 45 swap 2 yrs ago b4 buying my 240sx. Was pretty cool but kinda rough, and the guy claimed that it was a finished car... Needless to say, the brakes started going during the test drive :-0 and I figured I couldnt trust the rest of the car... but def think both eng's are great options. A local guy is talking about doing an RB in a 240z but I would go with something more common and easier to get parts for just like your saying, good luck and looking forward to seeing pix!
you mean vh45?

do this. So f$cking sexy...

KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
kjones
240sx Wannabe

Post by kjones »

While that VH is really nice - I decided to go LS1 instead because the performance after-market and parts availability is very strong for the LS1 - stuff for the VH is almost non-existent - plus I can take my Z to any shop and say - "open the hood and pretend it's a camaro" - so anyone can work on it... It has a stock ECU (with some tweaks) and the diagnostic port...

When I had my old L motor, parts were becoming hard to find and it was very hard to find anyone but me that I could rely on to do work on it. Plus when you push them to the limits, something always requires attention

This thing (my LS1) should go 150,000 miles with only basic maintenance, get 30+ MPG when driven accordingly, and run 11 seconds as well as be a real fun car to bring to Sebring to run on the long course for an occasional track day.

I'm hoping my KA-T 240Z will provide similar enjoyment and get me to a point where I can stop wrenching on the cars and start enjoying them
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
kjones
240sx Wannabe

Post by kjones »

Those are LT-1 Z Cars - The supercharger is kinda cool, but Most LS Z's are NA(there are exceptions) - Since you can make 600 rwhp with no problem NA, kinda unnecessary to go forced induction IMHO...

I will post up pics of both of MY Z's soon -

Here's a video of an LS Z on a twisty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNs5YkrK2Ns

There are a couple here in the Tampa area - Wolf has a mean LS2 280Z and he's within 5 miles of my place...
kjones
240sx Wannabe

Post by kjones »

So I picked up a S14 stock motor and 5 speed with harness and stock ECU...

Still gonna build up a forged motor, but for the first installation the stock parts will do...

Will get it running NA first, then go from there!

I will have the motor on Saturday!
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

kjones wrote:My goals are conservative. I want rock solid reliabilty. I suppose if that means 280 hp I would be fine with that. The car only weighs 2300 pounds so it will be fun to drive in that range.

If I could find a motor/tranny/ecu/harness all setup and ready to go I'd be all over it

Ken
reliability is up to you, its how well you build and tune your car. kedbmx daily drives his 700whp s14 comfortably with a/c. he has sort of become the poster child for high hp daily driven ka-t's around here.
kjones
240sx Wannabe

Post by kjones »

I've been talking to Martin at RS Enthalpy on the tuning and also doing my homework on the best turbo and cams to start with...

I'm going to start on stock internals, but have the injectors, cams and turbo that will meet my goals bought up front and go slowly on the stock internals... take them as far as I can, then switch to a built motor.

I will also have working AC in my KA-T Z , but I don't think I'll ever go beyond 450 rwhp in this build like kedbmx did

I'm excited to get started!

My LS1 280z is almost finished and this one is next!
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

kjones wrote:I've been talking to Martin at RS Enthalpy on the tuning and also doing my homework on the best turbo and cams to start with...

I'm going to start on stock internals, but have the injectors, cams and turbo that will meet my goals bought up front and go slowly on the stock internals... take them as far as I can, then switch to a built motor.

I will also have working AC in my KA-T Z , but I don't think I'll ever go beyond 450 rwhp in this build like kedbmx did

cookie cutter tunes...booooooo. they are legit, but you cant do anything with them!
kjones
240sx Wannabe

Post by kjones »

TinyT wrote:
kjones wrote:I've been talking to Martin at RS Enthalpy on the tuning and also doing my homework on the best turbo and cams to start with...

cookie cutter tunes...booooooo. they are legit, but you cant do anything with them!
He lives right here within 10 minutes of my place and offered to do a custom tune on it
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

now you can post in the classified section...it didnt take that long
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
kjones
240sx Wannabe

Post by kjones »

Yeah not too bad - I will wait until my motor is ready on Saturday to post in the classifieds unless something pops up that I gotta grab LOL
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

I told you bud, come shopping at my house. I have 3 cars worth of stuff, and an actual whole car right now sitting in the yard.

Just ask.
kjones
240sx Wannabe

Post by kjones »

Awesome - much appreciated

It will be a few weeks before I can get up there, but I'll definitely get there!

I want to discuss some ideas on building an intake - I have all the material here but will need to mock it up.

I have another KA project which will be starting up right after mine is done as well!

Gotta finish the LS1 280z first! I'm sick of my DD and wanna start driving my Z again!

LS1 Z is only a few weeks away from being complete! I'll drive it up there :)
TinyT

Post by TinyT »

so what are you gonna do to be completely different than everyone? from your posts regarding extreme tuners, im expecting something insane, instead of just building another 1400hp 4 cylinder internal combustion engine :roll:

or are you not out to do that with this build, but you could right
kjones
240sx Wannabe

Post by kjones »

I've always posted that this will be a conservative build - and it will be
hotlavaflow
240sx Wannabe

Post by hotlavaflow »

I want to see pics of the Z cars, probably be my next project I have a motor waiting to be dropped in something.
14psi for now...