Sandwich plate or?

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
DrEaMeR_VaNg
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Sandwich plate or?

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

This is a really noob question but when I did my first KA-T setup I used different fittings connected together and had three fittings for oil feed, stock oil pressure, and oil pressure sending unit (electronic oil pressure). It looked something like this:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/oil-feed-lin ... 96306.html

I'm re-planning another KA-T setup and I don't plan to use that same setup because it doesn't look neat. What do most of you guys run? Sandwich plates? I want something that I can attach three fittings to and run the three things I mention above.

Any ideas?
Kouki.Love.
beercandrifter
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by beercandrifter »

i highly recommend the skullworks adapters, they are just hands down the sweetest piece of machining I have ever held in my hands, quality is amazing
http://zilvia.net/f/group-buys/301711-s ... d-2-a.html

just run a remote oil filter adapter and you are all set
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OIL-FILT ... ccessories

I have no clue why someone would pay $145 for something that essentially does the same job as a sandwich adapter...........oh and i personally own that glowshift one and it has 0 issues.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
EAGLE-ARP-SUPERTECH 9:1 KA24DE
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
Full Race twin scroll manifold
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
revolutionz_s13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by revolutionz_s13 »

+1 for skullworks. Great quality part.
92 240sx SE KA-T project
95 240sx SR20DET Daily
92 integra - winter beater
TryingToTurbo

Post by TryingToTurbo »

revolutionz_s13 wrote:+1 for skullworks. Great quality part.
I have one as well. I can't complain.

Very nice quality parts.

Good way to support shops that are still building things for the KA as well. Much rather my money go to them than a knock off company for something like this.
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

I knew Skull and Bones adapter existed but I didn't want to go with that adapter because I don't want to relocate my oil filter. Relocating it means more $$ (I'm on a budget). LOL
Kouki.Love.
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

Dont use sandwich adapters unless you're running inline oil filters to your turbo and gauges etc. The oil you're drawing from is unfiltered and if you run this to your turbo you're going to pump oil pan particulate right into your turbo's bearing.

I ran one previously, never again though.

The DOHC oil filter block has a set screw below the factory pressure sensor that you can pull out and replace with a fitting. This is the ideal situation IMO.
WWW.GLADFAB.COM SOHC Turbo Manifolds
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Thought the oil coming out of those ports was unfiltered.. Seems like a big plus to relocation would be filtered oil.

I am thought about drilling and tapping the stock filter block to connect AN lines where the holes for oil are under the filter... not pretty but it might work really well.. havent looked into it to see if its physically possible
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

dont know why you would complain about the price of a remote oil filter adapter. it was 13$ for one when I bought it and you dont have to run braided lines and expensive fittings, granted its much cleaner, but the high pressure lines you can get will more than handle the 75psi the oil pump pushes out

either way, dont forget to order the gasket to put behind the adapter or stock piece if you take it off, autozone and advanced auto dont sell it outside of a full gasket kit.
this piece:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/15239-gask ... 64622.html
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

I'm pretty sure my sandwich plate serbs filtered oil. And I'd not, it was filtered when it went through the filter into the engine (because it is constantly recycled).
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

Jordan Gladman wrote:Dont use sandwich adapters unless you're running inline oil filters to your turbo and gauges etc. The oil you're drawing from is unfiltered and if you run this to your turbo you're going to pump oil pan particulate right into your turbo's bearing.

The DOHC oil filter block has a set screw below the factory pressure sensor that you can pull out and replace with a fitting. This is the ideal situation IMO.
I guess I'll go with this setup. I will just make two fittings out of that "set screw" for the feed and oil pressure sensor. Or is this setup not filtered either?

And I really like that oil sandwich adapter by Glowshift but if it doesn't filter my oil it wouldn't be safe!?
Kouki.Love.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Jordan Gladman wrote:Dont use sandwich adapters unless you're running inline oil filters to your turbo and gauges etc. The oil you're drawing from is unfiltered and if you run this to your turbo you're going to pump oil pan particulate right into your turbo's bearing.

12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
biggie

Post by biggie »

For me I'm with them^. I have a line running from the OEM block up the strut tower area, then a Tee fitting, one side for aftermarket pressure unit and the other running to the turbo.

'93 Coupe GT32e/'93 Vert/'03 G35C

Always Broke!!!
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

I think some of you guys have it backwards....

If you use a sandwich adapter, the oil comes out of the block into the threaded part where the filter screws onto the post. Then the oil coming out of the filter, is filtered, and goes out the holes in the side of the sandwich adapter. I don't see how anybody can not see/picture this...

And the ports on the side of the factory oil filter housing are not filtered. They come out of the casting before the filter.

I will draw a picture if I need to, but I would really hope that this makes sense to you guys. If not, *facepalm*
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

eazye2000 wrote:I think some of you guys have it backwards....

If you use a sandwich adapter, the oil comes out of the block into the threaded part where the filter screws onto the post. Then the oil coming out of the filter, is filtered, and goes out the holes in the side of the sandwich adapter. I don't see how anybody can not see/picture this...

And the ports on the side of the factory oil filter housing are not filtered. They come out of the casting before the filter.

I will draw a picture if I need to, but I would really hope that this makes sense to you guys. If not, *facepalm*
With that being said the Glowshift sandwich adapter is a-OK correct? If so, I'll be ordering one soon.
Kouki.Love.
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

I have a Glowshift adapter, with two 1/8"npt feed ports, and two 1/2"npt cooler ports. It is the one that even the oil going to the cooler portion is even filtered, if that matters.

Link it up. Which one were you looking at?
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

eazye2000 wrote:I think some of you guys have it backwards....

Im not sure, my understanding was that the oil returned to the block through the center of the filter. Concider the design of the anti-drain back valve, If the oil was flowing out of the perimeter holes of the filter, the pressure would close the valve and block flow. The oil enters the filter through the small perimeter holes and returns to the block through the center. The factory pressure sensor gauges pressure at this point, it wouldnt make sense to gauge the pressure pre-filter as a blocked filter wouldnt show accurate output pressure.

Also, the OEM pressure relief valve is located on the outside of the filter, if the filter is clogged, it bipasses into the center.
Last edited by Jordan Gladman on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sentry
Learners Permit

Post by Sentry »

^ You're correct.

Sandwiches give unfiltered oil. It's not a HUGE deal, but most people prefer not to use them for feeds, just for gauges.
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

Although its true that the oil is circulated and mostly clean as it passes through the sandwich, if you're breaking in a motor you are going to have a period of operation where you will have constant metal particulate flowing into the filter. Having a sandwich will almost guarantee a blown turbo if you run a sandwich without filter. The turbo becomes one of the most important components on your motor that requires filtration when you install one, sandwich adapters are a big no no in my books these days.

I cooked 2 precision T3/T4's on my rebuilt motor running the glowshift sandwich plate. Im not sure why they went, but I suspected the sandwich adapter. When I switched back to the OEM pressure port, my turbo held up fine.
Last edited by Jordan Gladman on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sentry
Learners Permit

Post by Sentry »

I've personally never used a sandwich for a feed, but if you are, a magnetic drain plug would be some nice extra insurance.
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

You can buy inline oil filters for your turbo feed. This will pretty much guarantee clean oil to your turbo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Dr ... arQ5fParts

Magnetic drains are a joke IMO. They collect stuff, but the are pretty random in their functionality.
Sentry
Learners Permit

Post by Sentry »

For sure.

And those filters are nice, but not everyone uses AN for their oil lines. :wink:
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

I will see if I can get a pic of the filter neck. i put mine on last week.

KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

So alot of debating whether one or the other is filtered, now I don't know which theory to believe.

I was looking at the sandwich plate posted by R34 from earlier on in thread. I suppose if I don't go with the Glowshift sandwich plate I'll just tee the fitting from the hole below the stock oil pressure sensor?
Kouki.Love.
98blackkat
240sx Wannabe

Post by 98blackkat »

heres an Idea the t fitting is known to be filtered oil right. adn the big advantage of the sandwich is no drilling holes. why not just use the sandwich for the return or would that not work
I may not go down in history, but I will go down on your sister.
Sentry
Learners Permit

Post by Sentry »

What's not to believe? The pic he posted is straight from the factory service manual. Sandwich = unfiltered.
Sentry
Learners Permit

Post by Sentry »

98blackkat wrote:heres an Idea the t fitting is known to be filtered oil right. adn the big advantage of the sandwich is no drilling holes. why not just use the sandwich for the return or would that not work
lol no that wouldn't work.

Drain is gravity only. At the sandwich you get pressurized oil. If you somehow connected a turbo drain to it, you'd be pushing oil the wrong way.
98blackkat
240sx Wannabe

Post by 98blackkat »

yea that would be bad. thanks for the info. (first turbo set up) not looking forward to drilling into the pan
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

98blackkat wrote:yea that would be bad. thanks for the info. (first turbo set up) not looking forward to drilling into the pan
it is simple. cut hold to spec. tap then screw in and weld. if have a tig, good. mig is a pain but if anything brass it. i like solder because it is easier to fill and control the metal.

KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
98blackkat
240sx Wannabe

Post by 98blackkat »

thanks for the tip. an s13 pan will work in an s14 right?