Bad transmission?

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
DrEaMeR_VaNg
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Bad transmission?

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

So I seem to be running into problems after problems since I've been turbo'ed.

A few days ago it was really hard to get into 1st and 2nd gear, it would go in but when I shift it was hard to get it out of gear to put into the next gear, do I make any sense? It did that for a day or two and it went away.

I drove it for a good 150 miles before I shut it off on Friday. I went to drive it Saturday morning and it wouldn't go into 3rd, 4th, or 5th. I stopped the car and kept trying to put it into gear, well it finally went into 3rd & 4th but now I can't get into 5th anymore.

The transmission use to grind 3rd gear but I never had any problems with 5th gear, how or what would cause it to just completely go out and not let me go into that gear (5th)?

Let me know guys, I'm sick of driving around in 4th gear, I have a 100+ mile drive to get home in a bit.
Kouki.Love.
KATizzle
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by KATizzle »

do you hear any chatter when you push your clutch pedal in?
Boosted at July 16, 2009. Ran lean fried the rings a week later. Finally blew in November. Pulled the motor out, put in a fully built one February. Exactly a month later spun a bearing NA. 50K mile stock engine and trans in at August. Still running now... Spent 6k for a stock 240 :( I still don't wanna get rid of it
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

I don't think I hear any chattering.

All the other gears are good at the moment, even reverse. So why would the transmission not go into 5th gear, and 5th gear only?
Kouki.Love.
Jus14

Post by Jus14 »

i think he ask about chatter because if it chatters or rattles before depressing clutch it may be a throwout bearing problem...
Zip Tie Racing
www.NissanNation.com
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

Has anyone experience this type of problem that could give me some hint/help/advice? I don't want to drop this transmission because than I'll have to take out the whole motor again! :(

The last time I did a in-car transmission install it was a big o' failure.
Kouki.Love.
KATizzle

Post by KATizzle »

thats 5th and only 5th is strange. i asked of the chatter because in my 240, it would go into gear fine with a tad bitt of chatter, then all of the sudden it was a pain to get into every other gear except 3rd. grinded every single time.

i ended up changing fluid like 5 times.. stilll nothing. so i just dropped my trans and my clutch spring blew out... it was getting caught in between the pressure plate, cause it not to fully engage and make it shift.

it only did it randomly because the spring would move around and get dislodged
Boosted at July 16, 2009. Ran lean fried the rings a week later. Finally blew in November. Pulled the motor out, put in a fully built one February. Exactly a month later spun a bearing NA. 50K mile stock engine and trans in at August. Still running now... Spent 6k for a stock 240 :( I still don't wanna get rid of it
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

Yeah, the 5th gear and 5th gear only is weird. I never had any problems with that gear, it's weird how it just goes out like THAT. I guess when I get home I'll bleed my clutch or something, we'll see if that makes a difference. Sucks to be driving in 4th gear. Got a 100+ miles to drive home.
Kouki.Love.
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

i have had that problem before. and only in 5th gear.
my problem was one of the bolts backed out and jammed between the selector fork arms and kept 5th from working.
sdaigle240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by sdaigle240 »

loosten ur top MM mount bolts to the last few threads. put a block of wood under the front edge of the pan, jack up. u can now reach all bolts easily and stab the trans easily as well.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

The key to removing the trans on a 240 is lifting or jacking up the front of the motor so it angles the trans down. Slides right in and out at the right angle.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

Jmcc wrote:i have had that problem before. and only in 5th gear.
my problem was one of the bolts backed out and jammed between the selector fork arms and kept 5th from working.
Where is this "selector fork"? I went over a speed bump before this happen. My DP is hanging very low at the moment. I think the DP hit the transmission somehow. Maybe a bolt backed out on my transmission too? I'll look into that tomorrow after I get off school. I'm guessing you had to drop the transmission to fix the issue?

And thanks for the replies guys. I'm hoping I don't have to pull this tranny. I've had enough down time on the car this year.
Kouki.Love.
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

it was inside the trans. yes your gunna have to drop it. but tonight when i get home ill post a pick of the bolt. now im not saying this is your problem but it might be.

and its in the first half of the case. you will have to removed two pins and six bolts to see if this is your problem. so if you aint got to drive this car that would be good, if you do find another trans for the mean time. if you need more help i can give a pic by pic on how to removed case.
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

This saddens me. I feel like I've ran into multiple problems since I gone back to turbo. Dammit.

I think I'm just gonna find another 5spd transmission and replace mines or something. This transmission sat for a year or two after I had it rebuilt for like $500! :(

Jmcc, if you could, get some pictures up.
Kouki.Love.
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

some was in their?? then yea its prolly the same bolt. dude the most work it will take is to just get the trans out. the other part is really simple and a tube of grey rvt lol.
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

DrEaMeR_VaNg

sorry man i for got to get a few pics when i was at work for you. ill try and get them up tomarrow.
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

this the trans with the tailshaft housing removed

this is the bolts i was talking about in gold.

and here is a the pic of the selector fork arms where it gets jammed.

DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

Bumping this to the top.

So do I need to loosen the motor mount to get jack the motor up so it'll be at an angle or can I just put a block of wood under the oil pan and jack it up?

A person told me he could get the transmission in and out in a hour. I wish I could do that!? :( I miss my 5th gear.
Kouki.Love.
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

i can swap a trans in a s13 in 30min and drive it away.

yes lossen the lower motor mounts on the crossmember. but i wouldn't use the oil pan.

i use a block of wood on the crank pulley.
getting it out is nothing but its getting it back in that takes a little time.

before you do eny thing if this is your first time taking out a trans is to lossen the motor mount bolts. if you have a flex head ratcheting wrench in a 14mm. would help you out the most. then the rest is 12mm wrench for the drive shaft bolts,12mm socket for the trans bolts and 17mm for the trans mount cross member, and carrier bearing brackets on the drive shaft. 3/4 or half inch drive to drain fluid. and 17mm to swap out the sensors. eny thing els i may be missing add it in.

o yea i only use hand tools, no air tools when working on my s13 :lol:
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

Jmcc wrote:i can swap a trans in a s13 in 30min and drive it away.

yes lossen the lower motor mounts on the crossmember. but i wouldn't use the oil pan.

i use a block of wood on the crank pulley.
getting it out is nothing but its getting it back in that takes a little time.

before you do eny thing if this is your first time taking out a trans is to lossen the motor mount bolts. if you have a flex head ratcheting wrench in a 14mm. would help you out the most. then the rest is 12mm wrench for the drive shaft bolts,12mm socket for the trans bolts and 17mm for the trans mount cross member, and carrier bearing brackets on the drive shaft. 3/4 or half inch drive to drain fluid. and 17mm to swap out the sensors. eny thing els i may be missing add it in.

o yea i only use hand tools, no air tools when working on my s13 :lol:
I could use some help. I've taken the motor out several times but I've only taken out the transmission once. And the time I toke only the transmission off was such a pain in the arse because the bolts close to the chassis were very hard to get to.

So if I don't loosen the motor mount the motor won't tilt when I jack it, correct? I'll just loose it from the top as if I was going to take the whole motor out I suppose.

I got the car in the barn on jack stand and I suppose I'll tackle the job in the AM. Hopefully I can get it off. I know it's going to be a PITA putting it back in because the shaft on the transmission is hard to put back into the pilot bushing hole. Blahhhh.

Wish me luck guys.

Thanks for the tips Jmcc.
Kouki.Love.
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

It's much easier to loosen the motor mounts from the bottom, so that's the way I always do it. Also, if you can borrow a engine host from someone, that's a better way to jack up the front of the motor. Good luck!
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
blacks13coupe

Post by blacks13coupe »

I am curious to see what fixes it. I recently have had similar problems.
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

adamky wrote:It's much easier to loosen the motor mounts from the bottom, so that's the way I always do it. Also, if you can borrow a engine host from someone, that's a better way to jack up the front of the motor. Good luck!
From the bottom? As if I was replacing the whole mount right? I never loosen the mount from the bottom until I had to replace them (stock to JGS) a while back.

Use the engine hoist to jack the motor up?

I need to start on this thing, damn.
Kouki.Love.
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

blacks13coupe wrote:I am curious to see what fixes it. I recently have had similar problems.
I probably won't be able to figure that out because I'm just gonna put another transmission in and hope it fixes it.
Kouki.Love.
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

DrEaMeR_VaNg wrote:
blacks13coupe wrote:I am curious to see what fixes it. I recently have had similar problems.
I probably won't be able to figure that out because I'm just gonna put another transmission in and hope it fixes it.

yes from the bottom. and yea another trans will fix it cause you eather broke the selector fork for 5th/rev. ( i have done this before) or one of the bolts came loose
(i have this happen as well).. both are not a hard fix, i mean you can fix both problem with in an hour.
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

What's the best way to get the bolts on top to come off? I've tried a medium ratchet with a 17mm socket but I can't get a good angle nor can I use a breaker bar since it's so close to the chassis (I haven't tried to tilt the motor/transmission yet). But I imagine that if the motor/transmission is tilt wouldn't the bolts be even closer to the chassis?

I got the bottoms bolts out but the on top are PITA.
Kouki.Love.
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

i don't remember the bolts for the trans beeing 17mm???? its a 14mm.
if you had a 3-4ft extension would be the best and a swivel. but i used to use a wrench from up top. and its only the one right below the head the rest i get from the bottom.
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

So I got all the bolts off the transmission and tried to pull the transmission off but it won't come all the way out to where it'll just drop. It feels like the shaft is stuck on the clutch/pressure plate or the pilot bushing hole.

Any suggestions guys?

It's a pain to get it out, I can't even imagine trying to put it back in. :(
Kouki.Love.
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

did you tilt the motor, and removed the shifter??

if yes then you might have to twist it cause it could be catching the fire wall.
but all and all it should just slide right out their shouldn't be nothing for it to catch on.
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

Jmcc wrote:did you tilt the motor, and removed the shifter??

if yes then you might have to twist it cause it could be catching the fire wall.
but all and all it should just slide right out their shouldn't be nothing for it to catch on.
Okay I got the transmission off. YAY. Now comes the hard part.

I loosen the motor mounts (JGS) from the bottom and when I go to jack the oil pan the motor doesn't look like it's tilting at all!? It's just lifting the motor up higher.

I've been trying to lift the shaft into the pilot bushing hole but I'm not even close. Should I invest in a transmission lift/jack?
Kouki.Love.
DrEaMeR_VaNg

Post by DrEaMeR_VaNg »

I just started a new job and got sent out of state for training so I haven't had time to get the car up and running but any suggestions guys?
Kouki.Love.