Walbro pump fakes?

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Walbro pump fakes?

Post by niceguy »

Hey guys, this may sound goofy but my 4 year old Walbro pump is on the fritz (check valve shot, losing pressure) on my '93 Altima KA (running NA for now).

I'm planning on getting another but I found a bunch of different forum threads talking about Walbro fakes being made and sold even in parts stores/online since people can't tell the difference.

Has anyone here had any issues with this or bad reliability? I don't want to have to tear into the tank again anytime soon.

My younger brother actually gave me a GSS342 (255lph) but it just seems like a waste since I'll be NA for most of the year. Then again, I know some that are using one NA and said the stock FPR has no issue keeping pressure at the stock 34/43psi.

Any input you guys have is appreciated, I need to get a pump this week...

Thanks!!
keytops
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by keytops »

The walbro I installed on my car did raise my base pressure about 4 psi.
I order walbros from FR sport just to make sure they are legit. Plus they give you the correct filter sock! I have an airtex pump as a spare for my dd s13 and the two are almost identical, the airtext was slightly shorter and the filter sock was smaller but you could pass it off as a walbro so I'd say paranoia is justified.

One other note, my 14 had a freshly swapped walbro in it, blew the motor and it sat for 9 months with a quarter tank of gas. After I got it running and on the way to willow springs that little hose that goes from the pump to the hardline completely disintigrated. I would recommend you use the gates brand in tank fuel pressure hose from napa autoparts. It's about $3.50 a foot but its fuel, oil, and alcohol resistant.
98 s14 SE Track and weekender.
casman86
240sx Wannabe

Post by casman86 »

Yeah some of the copies even have walbro stamped in the side of them. There's a video on youtube demonstrating the difference in sound between the genuine and counterfeit. Damn I hate China. I just ordered a Walbro with the proper s14 install kit from lightning motorsports for $89. Hopefully it's legit, Looks like an honest store.
emo_tactical9
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by emo_tactical9 »

You just had to say "fake pumps" and invite in all the counterfeit handbag peddlers, didn't you?
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
casman86
240sx Wannabe

Post by casman86 »

If you're implying that I'm affiliated with some store, you're an idiot. Would you like to see my receipt? I've been ordering little parts all day to finish up my hy35 setup. I've been on this forum since 2004 man.
keytops

Post by keytops »

Lol hes with that fake rolex poster!
98 s14 SE Track and weekender.
niceguy
240sx Wannabe

Post by niceguy »

Lolz....thanks for the feeback. My brother's says Made in the USA but I'll probably go w/an OEM pump until I need the 255...
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Yup, other than a flashy FP gauge, you really don't need a Wlabro if you're N/A.
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
emo_tactical9
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by emo_tactical9 »

casman86 wrote:If you're implying that I'm affiliated with some store, you're an idiot. Would you like to see my receipt? I've been ordering little parts all day to finish up my hy35 setup. I've been on this forum since 2004 man.
It was a joke. It was supposed to make you laugh.
Last night there was a wave if spam and um...
Never mind.
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

You made me laugh emo.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

supakat wrote:You made me laugh emo.
lol made me chuckle too
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
BigLoukaT

Post by BigLoukaT »

*****... Never heard about the counterfeit walbros WITH the correct stamping etc. :(

I've had my walbro (I think) 255 for a couple of years, can't remember where I bought it from (think it was actually from a member on here) and I've always thought it sounded different than my all my friends walbros in 240s. It even prompted me to remove it from the tank years ago to ensure the stamping.was for the 255 and not the 190.

Can't believe I might have a fake one. I'm not exactly stressing it too much (stock fpr and 8 psi boost) but this is very worrying...
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

I don't think the engine cares how the fuel gets there...
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
wesamiss
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by wesamiss »

nissanfanatic wrote:I don't think the engine cares how the fuel gets there...
i literally lol'd.
WES
jarhead
240sx Wannabe

Post by jarhead »

This thread has been entertaining lol.
-Jarrod
casman86
240sx Wannabe

Post by casman86 »

emo_tactical9 wrote:
casman86 wrote:If you're implying that I'm affiliated with some store, you're an idiot. Would you like to see my receipt? I've been ordering little parts all day to finish up my hy35 setup. I've been on this forum since 2004 man.
It was a joke. It was supposed to make you laugh.
Last night there was a wave if spam and um...
Never mind.
Didn't know that, my bad.

Here's the sound comparison video. It goes: real, fake, then back to real. It's ridiculous that they copied something that's so affordable already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7102yaOA2jk
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

It's china, what do you expect! I surprised you can't buy Walbro's in the dollar store by now.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
BigLoukaT

Post by BigLoukaT »

nissanfanatic wrote:I don't think the engine cares how the fuel gets there...
Lol, not exactly what I meant. What I did mean is that I'm not exactly stressing the fuel pump with an effective fuel pressure in rail of 50-51 psi (stock fpr plus 8 psi), and I haven't been leaning out in boost, but I certainly want fueling to be reliable

Actually rereading your post, I'm not sure if you were responding to me or the op

Guess if if I do find my pump is a fake, then i guess ill try out the dw200 pump [/i]
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.