Opinions on Silver Mine Motors brake kits?

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Opinions on Silver Mine Motors brake kits?

Post by cleantune »

Link to the site:
http://silverminemotors.com/240sx-front ... ke-kit.htm

Found this site the other day after stumbling upon a brake thread on another 240sx forum. I was just wondering if you guys (and girls) have heard anything about this company and/ or your opinions about the price, kit components, etc. The kit comes with rebuilt 30mm aluminum calipers, brackets, ceramic pads and drilled and slotted rotors.

*Personally I would prefer slotted rotors and something a little less harsh than ceramic pads (like red stuff pads or hawk pads).

Just wondering what you guys (and girls) think about this :wink:
240-kid
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by 240-kid »

Send him a eMail, he's a Sponsor on my forum. Run by 1 person AFAIK.
From what I have seen his stuff is legit from other ppl posting pics n what not.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

huh, I had no idea it was run by one person. I did send him an email asking some questions and everything does seem legit.
bigdreams05
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by bigdreams05 »

$500 is pretty good considering what you're getting, but you should be able to piece together the WHOLE things for not a lot more than that Front AND rear calipers w/ e-brake, new Hawk HPS pads, rotors, stainless steel lines, rebuild kit and hardware for around that price.

Z32 set-up- ~$300
Rotors-$150
Hawk Pads- $160
Lines- $70
Rebuild kit- $30
Total- ~700 for the WHOLE SHEBANG!

My $.02, but $500 is great for an incredibly improved brake system with just the fronts.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

You can go even cheaper with J30 brakes.

Two used front brakes roughly $40
Two used front discs rougly $20
Two front pads new $20
Total for those mathimatically challenged - roughly $80

If running 4 lug, drill out discs. If 5 lug, just put on. I am running these brakes with 4 lug currently.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
souljaseth33
240sx Wannabe

Post by souljaseth33 »

You can find cheap z32 brakes too.

I picked up all 4 aluminum calipers for about $200.

Junk yards can be your friend with parts like this.
Hebrew Hammer - The baddest Heeb this side of Tel Aviv

www.slideny.com

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

If you really want to have a beast setup that will rip you out of your shorts....

http://forums.nicoclub.com/akebono-14-2 ... 45946.html

Things are ridiculous. I drove my friends srt8 which is a heavy tank and these things are BEAST! Probably too much for a street 240. You can piece it together for $800 or less depending on the deals you get!
souljaseth33
240sx Wannabe

Post by souljaseth33 »

^ that's a killer upgrade! :shock:

www.slideny.com

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
Super Coupe

Post by Super Coupe »

souljaseth33 wrote:^ that's a killer upgrade! :shock:
I can only imagine what it feels like. I mean it stopped a 3800lb car on a dime violently 80-0. I can only imagine a car that is 1000 lbs lighter.

I would compare the stopping power near the same as a c6 z06. I have driven both the srt8 and a z06 super hard at Sebring. The only complaint is the srt8 started to fade, but that was after long time out on the track and it is a very heavy car on stock suspension.

The kit is a bit pricey and most deff overkill for a street vehicle. You would be better off with the 300zx kit, unless you plan on tracking the car hard.
souljaseth33
240sx Wannabe

Post by souljaseth33 »

Yeah I plan on mine being a mostly daily car. I'll keep my z32 brakes haha.

www.slideny.com

myowncasualty
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by myowncasualty »

350z g35 and sentra ser spec v brembos all bolt on to the fronts, I had to run a 7/16" drill bit through my knuckle and thats it.
95 240sx ka-t > SOLD
08 Evo X MR > New daily/ fun
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Thanks for your responses. The z32 brake upgrade with the brembos is awesome. People knock this setup because of the little bit of pad that doesn't contact the surface, but it looks like the pistons are at least over the pad. I've heard of the sentra gold brembo swap, and I think thats pretty cool too.

As far as price goes, I agree, a swap could be gathered in pieces for cheaper. Personally I have had a difficult time tracking down 30mm aluminum z32 brakes with 4lug drilled z32 rotors for a decently cheap price. So I guess like everything else: more money for convenience.
myowncasualty

Post by myowncasualty »

z32 with brembo calipers or rotors?

Im running z33 brembo calipers and rotors up front with sti rear calipers and z32 rear rotors with z32 ebrake. It stops hard :D
95 240sx ka-t > SOLD
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

^Nice :) hey, from your experience, were the rear z32 rear hydraulic brakes hard to install?

oh and I meant the z33 rotors with the z32 calipers and the Brembo brake setup that was posted with whatever those rotors are.

Getting back to the topic though... What do you guys and girls think about the slotted/drilled rotors in combination with the ceramic pads in the front that the kit comes with? Yeah? or Nah?
For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
keytops

Post by keytops »

Slotted yes, drilled no. Drilling is for old school pads that out gas. Its just more surface missing from the rotor weakening it and causing earlier warpage.

Where did you get your sti calipers from and how much I've been trying to track down those myself but I dont feel like spending $200+ a caliper
98 s14 SE Track and weekender.
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

supakat wrote:You can go even cheaper with J30 brakes.

Two used front brakes roughly $40
Two used front discs rougly $20
Two front pads new $20
Total for those mathimatically challenged - roughly $80

If running 4 lug, drill out discs. If 5 lug, just put on. I am running these brakes with 4 lug currently.
If you track the car J30 brakes are not a good choice due to the unavailability of off the shelf track pads. Carbotech will make em but they are pricey. Carbotech has a part number on them now thanks to me ....$300 later :P
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

Drilled rotors are designed to crack.

I think the full 300z aluminum caliper F/R setup is the only thing worth doing if you aren't going to do a wilwood BBK or better.

I would also look for one of those brackets that lets you use the 350z track rotors.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
myowncasualty

Post by myowncasualty »

keytops wrote:Slotted yes, drilled no. Drilling is for old school pads that out gas. Its just more surface missing from the rotor weakening it and causing earlier warpage.

Where did you get your sti calipers from and how much I've been trying to track down those myself but I dont feel like spending $200+ a caliper
I bought a whole set of STi calipers from an upgarage in japan lol, I had to carry them around with me across the whole country.
95 240sx ka-t > SOLD
sliptones629
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by sliptones629 »

I got the 30mm ones a year or so ago. They have been holding up fine. The only problems I had were upon first arrival I got 30mm rotors and 26mm calipers. Edan did send the correct ones and exchange them for me. He told me also that if I took pics and made a thread about it he would give me $30{its been a while so maybe it was $20} back, which he never did. W/e though, I ended up with what I ordered in the end.