what you guys think on guages? (link fixed)

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
500hpKA240sx
Encyclopedia-Nissan

what you guys think on guages? (link fixed)

Post by 500hpKA240sx »

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/black-7- ... eries.aspx

looking to get these and DIY dash cluster. but before i dump $500 bucks into them what do you guys think as far as reliability, design, and quality?
Last edited by 500hpKA240sx on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viewtopic.php?t=53160&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Paul Walker- 1973-2013 Race In Paradise. you will be forever missed
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Your link isn't going to work.

Can you post a link to the gauges themselves?

I have glowshift gauges, and they're alright. The oil pressure gauge is REALLY REALLY sensitive to having good grounds and great signal wire.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
NeverSatisfied
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by NeverSatisfied »

I have glowshift too. Friends have had good experience with them. The warrenty is great too.
If its worth doing, its worth overdoing.
TryingToTurbo
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TryingToTurbo »

Prosport is my personal choice. Step above glowshift and still cheap. Defi copies. Excellent customer service.
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

ProSport!
My car is dead stock.... ish

http://mobileimports.freeforums.org
808KA
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by 808KA »

ARK Designs, STACK or MoTec multifunction dispays works great if got the funds. I think Autometer has one as well iirc. Can't beat having all your engine vital's on one display.
Do it!
500hpKA240sx
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 500hpKA240sx »

thanks for the quick responses guys. i checked in to prosport and they look a bit "fancy" with warning lights and everything and i cant seam to make up a group that all match. Im going to be making my own dash cluster so i dont have to mount the guages in the a/c vent or A-pillar so I want them to look like they were from the factory not just some random gauges thrown in the car. anyways ill update in my build thread soon...I hope haha

sliptones629
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by sliptones629 »

Glowshift are kinda cheap, if you know what I mean. If I wanted a budget gauge, I would probably get the Prisports. They have different models, regular and premium. regulars are cheaper and don't have the peak hold and warning lights. I hear the sensors are huge physically though. Not budget but I like my defis.
240-kid
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by 240-kid »

ProSport or STRi's are about as low as I would go for gauges. Make sure you get ones that have warning/alarm systems or the gauges are pretty much useless. Cause if you have low oil pressure but the gauge doesn't tell you, well unless your staring at the gauge while your driving instead of the road you'll never know.
casman86
240sx Wannabe

Post by casman86 »

Glowshift gauges look like cheap crap in person. Probably because they are, but the lenses are like plastic magnifying glasses and I hate the way it looks. Also, I've seen one that randomly changed colors between red and blue for no reason. Also, if you're getting a boost gauge, just get an old fashioned mechanical gauge. The electronic ones respond too slow because of the smoothing programmed into them. There's some side-by-side comparison videos on youtube you can look up. Even Defi are slow.
I'm going to keep it simple in mine with a big mechanical boost gauge, then some sort of digital multi-display gauge for all the other readings.
500hpKA240sx
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 500hpKA240sx »

well fcuk a duck.....this is like the lsd vs welded :? ppl say there good others say there junk.

Its like going from point A to point B, either you drive a 200k lambo or a 20k kia only one is by choice. haha

I would rather use AEM gauges, and it sucks b/c Im houngry, but my pockets are empty. lol

sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

i got all STRI gauges, DSD but this was when 3 cost 400$ they have gone up quite a bit and may not be worth it anymore. they do have a lesser "X line" product. their slick gauges. prosport and STRI should not be in the same sentence though. its hardly an entry level product.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
will.yum
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

glowshift gauges

Post by will.yum »

I have glowshift gauges and honestly don't have any complaints, I have oil pressure, boost, and fuel pressure. They're gauges, but honestly $200 a gauge is insane. +1 for glowshift imo.
I love my fiance and 2 girls goldie and jade =P
c_mancuyas8

Post by c_mancuyas8 »

I like aem and innovate. You can find innovate gauges pretty cheap and theyre good quality plus they match together really well. The only reason why I changed my setup to aem was bc of the true boost and wanted my wideband to be the same. I got them both for 400 new as a package pm me if you want seller info.
TryingToTurbo

Post by TryingToTurbo »

500hpKA240sx wrote:well fcuk a duck.....this is like the lsd vs welded :? ppl say there good others say there junk.

Its like going from point A to point B, either you drive a 200k lambo or a 20k kia only one is by choice. haha

I would rather use AEM gauges, and it sucks b/c Im houngry, but my pockets are empty. lol
Yeah thats actually a great analogy. Welded diffs are just plain retarded. They are not practical by any means, and a waste of time. You can get an $80 vlsd from a junkyard anyday.

Same applies here. Glowshift gauges look crappy, have crappy sending units, and no warning lights. They are just plain retarded. Their only function is to flash fancy colors at night.

ProSports are so cheap! And there are plenty of people on here saying to get them over glowshift. Doesn't seem like a very tough choice at this point.
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Ikera
240sx Wannabe

Post by Ikera »

One step below Glowshift... DRAGON GAUGE!! straight from china!! a little wash out and difficult to fit into any standard gauge pod since the housing is about 3" deep.

But they do look pretty cool mounted in pillar pod from outside

The temp gauge is maxed because of the wiring problem, it works fine now. I don't really know how accurate they are, but I do know that they have a variable resistor for tuning at the back.

Back light is LED White with LED Red for the needle, from what I can tell if the voltage drops below 8 volts the white LEDs will turn off. Have not tested if the voltage drop would affect the gauge reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kZnByjHVkc