Blown up N62

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
Freise
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Blown up N62

Post by Freise »

The other day I was out for a cruise down some back roads. I usually don't go hard, just a nice cruise through the country to calm my nerves and get rid of stress. Anyways, the truck in front of me pulled off the road, and as I began to accelerate I heard this loud *pop.* My first thought is I blew off some IC piping, it felt that way. I pulled over at a fire station and the car died and wouldn't restart. When I looked at the IC piping, it was all secure. Then I noticed the maf:
It had not only popped the black square off, but the sensor itself shattered and was ejected in several pieces along the highway. It appears that they've used a silicon glue instead of an epoxy or something solid, which sucks because it gave out at only around 3-4 psi of boost. I have heard of the box popping off or leaking before, but usually at 16-20+psi... the max I run is 7. Never heard of the electronics part being destroyed either... The maf was purchased new, barely had 4000 miles on it and was only a few months old.
This is the first time I've seen the inside of the "box" and it makes me realize that it should be around the sensor that needs to be reinforced, not the box. I may open up an oem n60/62 to see if the sensor is held in place by the same type of glue and to see if it can be more reliably reinforced. I hope this helps someone else, as I never considered a real high need to reinforce the maf unless you were playing with higher boost levels.
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
Super Coupe
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Super Coupe »

Blow thru always sketched me out. Had the same experience once before, not on my personal car but a buddy's. He was doing a nice pull on the highway and it blew the cap and sensor out. This was on 12psi.

Thank god for having a friend with a tow truck! We were on out way to Orlando from Tampa.
Freise

Post by Freise »

Yeah it was really disappointing. Had to walk 5 miles along highway to get cell phone service. Had a friend pick me up, grabbed an N60 I had laying around and my laptop with nistune, switched it out and limped it home.
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

I think you need to question the brand you bought. My OEM one only lifted a corner. I never gave it a chance to blow up. I epoxied the crap out of it.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Freise

Post by Freise »

Yeah, for the record it's an Isis maf, I wouldn't say the maf was crap, electronically it worked perfectly, it's just the construction seems lower quality than full oem and I would just advise against running it in blow through. Enjuku has pretty awesome customer service though, and they gave me store credit even though I bought it quite a long time ago. If I wasn't hell bent on having a blow through maf I would've gone with the replacement they offered as well. Oh well, learned the hard way.
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Well these are the things we need to document so we can come to a conclusion about certain MAF's. Now if someone chimes in that an OEM blasted through with good proof, I will concur that it can happen to any blow through MAF. I am going based off of my experience with OEM MAF and blow through. I have been using same MAF for 2 years.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
TryingToTurbo
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TryingToTurbo »

supakat wrote:Well these are the things we need to document so we can come to a conclusion about certain MAF's. Now if someone chimes in that an OEM blasted through with good proof, I will concur that it can happen to any blow through MAF. I am going based off of my experience with OEM MAF and blow through. I have been using same MAF for 2 years.
I have an oem j30 n62 on mine. It leaked at 7psi around the oem silicon, but never blew off. I replaced the silicon with plastic epoxy and its on 15psi fine right now.

I didn't reinforce in the housing like supakat did only because both my screens are still intact.
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

supakat wrote:I think you need to question the brand you bought. My OEM one only lifted a corner. I never gave it a chance to blow up. I epoxied the crap out of it.
Indeed - I took an OEM N62 MAF and cut out the stock sealant, filled the interface with JB-stick and never had a problem at 15psi.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.