EBAY TURBO CAME APART MID DRIVE MUST RANT >_<

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
metalshark
Dreams of owning a 240!

EBAY TURBO CAME APART MID DRIVE MUST RANT >_<

Post by metalshark »

WHO THE HELL MAKES TURBOS HELD TOGETHER BY A SMALL SLIVER OF GLUE?!? freaking Chinese!!

one day I was visiting parents took a nice drive at 30mph down the community side streets when suddenly I heard a rattling and it sounded like my turbo sneezed. I was so horrified i thought i blew something while not even having fun. I pulled over and took off my filter to find the bolt holding the turbine in had come off. I tried my hardest to get it on super tight, but now there seems to be shaft play and it locked up the turbine on the inner walls. FML!!!!!!
Super Coupe
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Super Coupe »

What else did you expect?

This is not a new problem. Hit or miss.
Kfred
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Kfred »

Sounds like you had your turbo on backwards. :lol:

Get a holset and make sure you don't hook the intake up to the turbine side. :wink:
RIP Nate(480sx)...
schmauster920

Re: EBAY TURBO CAME APART MID DRIVE MUST RANT >_<

Post by schmauster920 »

metalshark wrote:WHO THE HELL MAKES TURBOS HELD TOGETHER BY A SMALL SLIVER OF GLUE?!? freaking Chinese!!
Yes.. the freaking Chinese!!!
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

Is everything exploding and falling apart over there or are they smart enough not to buy their own junk?
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

they are not allowed to buy the products they export here. look on ebay sometime, all the places that ship from hong kong are not allowed to sell to people in china/hong kong.

not sure if it is because of exports or what, but its pretty funny.
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
nismo_dreaming
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by nismo_dreaming »

beercandrifter wrote:they are not allowed to buy the products they export here. look on ebay sometime, all the places that ship from hong kong are not allowed to sell to people in china/hong kong.

not sure if it is because of exports or what, but its pretty funny.
The idea is to get the terrible products out of the country, not recycle them back in lol.

Sorry to hear about that man, but it’s to be expected with Chinese made parts. Turbo's are so damn cheap now...I don’t see why anyone doesn’t buy name brand these days?
1996 240sx SE LS1
ReEducationThruLabor
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by ReEducationThruLabor »

Chinese turbos (and other knockoff Chinese products in general) have no quality control. If you're looking for inexpensive check this link out http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Performance ... 1252wt_952
They bought my 35R that needed rebuild and I stumbled across this. Granted it's a larger turbo, but they seem to have good reviews, comes with a warranty, and they're made in the USA. Worth looking into at least. Or a Holset always works too lol
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never make it out alive"
PairOfS14s
240sx Wannabe

Post by PairOfS14s »

I would be interested in trying one of those turbos. I understand that you usually get what you pay for but is buying a turbo that will last for 3 years for $1600 better than buying one that will last a year and a half for $800?
Stock internals
Stock MAF
Stock FPR
370cc injectors
Walbro 255
EGAY FMIC
GT2871 @ 11psi
JWT ecu
Custom 2.5" turbo back exhaust
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Just get a Holset. I paid $200 shipped for mine and it is taking the abuse.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

its really a no brainer. get a holset.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
Empire087
240sx Wannabe

Post by Empire087 »

Hell, I'm running a rebuilt garrett to4e off of a merkur xr4ti! It's seems to run great, spools fast, reliable, the only thing I dont like it the 2" outlet and oddball inlet. You can work around that though. I paid 150$ for it to boot.
Current rides:
2004.5 Silverado 2500hd ccsb 4x4 LLY Duramax
2009 Crossfire 1000 sno pro LE
(Potential):1991 Coupe 5spd
Previous:
1996 D21 4x4 5 sp ka24e-t
metalshark
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by metalshark »

honestly my friend has been running an ebay turbo for like 5 months and just beating the crap out of his KA, but I run mine up for 3 week and it ran Badass untill that screw holding the turbine came off randomly.
seriously though a glued together turbocharger is like WTF?

BTW ebay turbos are around 75-120 cheap ass *****..

I ended up finding a company that builds turbos to make me something.
going from an AR.50 to AR.57 I wonder how big of a difference that will be..
I'm excited to put it in tomorrow :)
metalshark
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by metalshark »

Kfred wrote:Sounds like you had your turbo on backwards. :lol:

Get a holset and make sure you don't hook the intake up to the turbine side. :wink:
never seen a turbo hooked up backward wont that just kill the engine when it spools up?... I may have to try this on an expendable engine just to see what happens :twisted:
El_Cangri
240sx Wannabe

Post by El_Cangri »

Had a Chinese one on a 2g DSM I didn't want my brother in law to buy it but I well stock one died. Got a Chinese for $200 local and that thing was a blast until it went out 8 months later (crappy cartridge had oil restrictions oil would flow freely insider and burned a bearing) my friend with a S14 has one and it's going to be like a year now and no problems so it is hit and miss.

We just rebuilt it with Garret cartridge and components for less than $200 only thing needing is a Garret housing lol. Of course getting the real turbine at first was going to be better and those Chinese dot even spool up fast spooled at almost 4krpm after changing components to garret it started at 3krpm. Also don't buy Chinese Wastegates, they will open to soon or not open at all.

Just do it good and do it once.