Drifting how to get started?

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
pballa88
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Drifting how to get started?

Post by pballa88 »

So I was looking at a s13 coupe today that was KA-t had some goodies and what not for $1500 just needed some TLC and wiring work, which i don't know anything about wiring. Long story short I passed on this deal because I realized that I should buy just a basic 240sx maybe with a suspension upgrade and a welded diff to learn to drift before I drop money on a whole engine rebuild with a turbo or a stroker kit.

Basically the point of this thread is to ask you guys for some input on how to get started in the drifting scene. I'm 20 and I would have to drive the car to the track do to not having a trailer and ill be budgeting this entire drift car myself. I would like to ask you guys how did you get started? By purchasing a car already fixed up and ready to go or build it yourself? Keep note I want to eventually build this drift car myself to learn more about cars.
motteram

Post by motteram »

I would definitely recommend trying to find a stock car for the reliability and also how forgiveig it will be. A stock ka is more than enough to.drift with and I personally would never weld a diff but get a vlsd instead so you can have daily goodness. But really all you need is seat time and a.good.running stock car.will work fine
signals13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by signals13 »

^^ I agree but I started with a 20 dollar coupe and welded diff just live and learn, helps to have friends near by that can help, good luck
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

If it doesnt have a blown HG or ringlands, i'd add another 1000 and a lot of work for it to be a decent somewhat dependable car
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Irresistible »

Stock car. Get coils, some control arms, and a welded diff. And you'll be good to go. A bucket seat is also nice to have. And some wheels and aero wouldn't hurt to make it look cool...
pballa88

Post by pballa88 »

Okay awesome thank you for your responses. I also have two other questions:

1. I heard that s14's handle better (could be a personal preference) because they have a stiffer and newer chasis. Seems reasonable.

2. I have been looking at right hand drive 240's and I would love to have them but a little confused about the registration laws behind that here in California. My buddy said it has to be blue tagged certified, I have no idea what that is.
pballa88

Post by pballa88 »

Just picked this up today
1990 hatch RHD, with s14 DOHC rebuilt 30k miles ago. Ill take engine bay pictures tomorrow.

signals13

Post by signals13 »

Nice that's heka jsdm tyte
pballa88

Post by pballa88 »

Been busy but here is the engine bay picture:

emo_tactical9

Post by emo_tactical9 »

pballa88 wrote:Just picked this up today
1990 hatch RHD, with s14 DOHC rebuilt 30k miles ago. Ill take engine bay pictures tomorrow.
Was that swapped to RHD?
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
pballa88

Post by pballa88 »

[/quote]
Was that swapped to RHD?[/quote]

Unfortunately yes...
emo_tactical9

Post by emo_tactical9 »

pballa88 wrote:
Was that swapped to RHD?[/quote]

Unfortunately yes...[/quote]

Are you in the US?
I facepalm so hard at RHD conversions. What is the point?
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
pballa88

Post by pballa88 »

Yeah I am in the US haha.

I wanted something different and more of a challenge. Figured if I could drift a RHD car I can drift a LHD.
signals13

Post by signals13 »

I've always wanted to to go thru the drive thru in a rhd
pballa88

Post by pballa88 »

signals13 wrote:I've always wanted to to go thru the drive thru in a rhd
As soon as I get my tags I am going straight there.
signals13

Post by signals13 »

Lol koo make sure you have a passenger tho
Oh by the way car looks super clean just needs coils and nice wheels :-)
pballa88

Post by pballa88 »

Yeah coils is my next upgrade to it.
Gonna wait on wheels for a bit since stock are perfectly fine for drifting
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

Nice find! That car is clean looking.
pballa88 wrote: 1. I heard that s14's handle better (could be a personal preference) because they have a stiffer and newer chasis. Seems reasonable.
^ The main difference handling-wise between the two (s13 + s14) is that in STOCK FORM the s14 has closer to a 50/50 front-to-rear weight balance; however, Coilovers WILL CORRECT and better the front-to-rear weight balance in the s13 to match or exceed the front-to-rear weight balance of a stock s14.

As for drifting, I would recommend ONE thing: Become VERY familiar with your car.

-Know where your four corners are (perimeter of car)
-Know your maximum steering angle
-Know the threshold of losing rear traction (turning angle, engine RPM, clutch feel)

*brake feel and suspension feel are also pretty important; basically become a master of the machine one drives.

Car setup sugestions:

-Coilovers, they change in handling is unbelievable with stock wheels/tires
-Clutch (sprung center), something that can take the abuse of clutch kicks and the stress of drifting
-2 way Limited slip differential (or a 1.5-way), better for daily than welded in my opinion

I would also HIGHLY recommend picking up "Keiichi Tsuchiya's Drift Bible Best motoring DVD. Or you can watch it here WITHOUT the extra features that are included on the DVD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPQyQgyuNMI

Actually, watching any of the BestMotoring drift video's on youtube will help one learn a few things about car control.
For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
wesamiss

Post by wesamiss »

my "how to" for getting started drifting.

step 1) get a car that is rear wheel drive
step 2) put coilovers on said car
step 3) go to an event <second most important part of how to. learning is much easier at an event where you won't be worried about cops, wrecking, or being stuck somewhere without help.
step 4) JUST DRIFT
step 5) optional* upgrade parts that brake as they brake.

don't worry about what car handles better or putting money into your motor/cage/car. ive seen people win 2nd place at the Stick to Drifting events with a STOCK KA24DE and some suspension work. Suspension is key.... Ive seen so many people just jump into the drift world and put so much money into their car. either wreck it or dont have money to go to an event. therefor they are garbage drivers.

just worry about seat time man. get an s13 put coilovers on it, do a small tune up. go have fun! if you blow the motor, replace it with a running one for 300-400 bucks.
WES
pballa88

Post by pballa88 »

Thank you guys for the well thought through responses. I am glad I am going in the right direction.

I plan on purchasing another differential and weld the one I currently have just in case it snaps. Since I do realize 1.5/2 ways are pretty expensive