Oil feed line And temp/press. sensor mounting options

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Oil feed line And temp/press. sensor mounting options

Post by Irresistible »

Ok so, I'm finishing up piecing my turbo kit, and one of the last things I need is the adapter to be able to hook up a feed line and my oil press/temp sensors.

I was going to order the Nissport adapter that goes where the stock pressure sending unit is, but that is out of stock right now... I'm gonna call them tomorrow and find out if it'll be back in stock somewhat soon, because I want to get my car on the road as soon as possible.

If it's not in stock soon, I was thinking about just ordering the Glow Shift oil sandwich plate... Would that be just as good as the Nissport adapter? I'm afraid of it leaking... so any feedback on that would be good too...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OIL-FILTER-SAND ... 32&vxp=mtr

I already have all of the other necessary fittings and adapters and line.

Thanks...

From what I read, sandwich plates give unfiltered oil.... which obviously would be bad, can anyone confirm?
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

You can just pull the plug out of the stock filter housing, it gets filtered oil, its 1/8bspt thread

If you get an adapter it should have filtered and unfiltered ports, you just have to look at which way the oil flows through the adapter

You can weld a bung for the oil temp sensor in your oil pan if you havent already welded the return bung on.

Its nice to minimize parts that can leak or break.. either should work, i dont have any experience with the oil filter adapters though
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
jholman05
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by jholman05 »

Weird, there isn't a place that really sells the old Tuner Toys/Stealthmode performance style anymore. The closest I could find was this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-IMPREZA- ... 5d3e352cc7

Only bad thing is it's in the UK

Then you could easily drill and tap the other side of the 1/8 NPT out for another 1/8 NPT. Have youre oil feed, oil pressure and oil switch all on it. Then like he ^ said weld a bung onto your oil pan for oil temp. I have mine mounted on the side of the sump where the oil drain is. On the back side of the pan. Might just be easier to use that sandwich plate, I've just never been a fan of those things.
2012 - S14 KA, Nismotronic, GTi-R T28 12psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, DW550cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Spec 3, Fidanza = 12.4 @ 110
2013 - 9.0 Wiseco/Manley, Nismotronic, GT2876R 23psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, 850cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Z32 Spec 3, D21 Fidanza = ??.? @ ??? 440whp/380wtq
YouTube Channel -> http://goo.gl/MZ5EE
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

jholman05 wrote: Have youre oil feed, oil pressure and oil switch all on it. Then like he ^ said weld a bung onto your oil pan for oil temp.
If you're going to be running a oil pressure gauge, is it unnecessary to run the stock oil pressure sensor. It goes directly to the dummy light in the cluster, bypassing the ECU. Sure having a red light come on helps but that's what the gauge is for as well.
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
jholman05
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by jholman05 »

It's not but my oil pressure gauge is off to the side, why disable something useful if you dont have to?
2012 - S14 KA, Nismotronic, GTi-R T28 12psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, DW550cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Spec 3, Fidanza = 12.4 @ 110
2013 - 9.0 Wiseco/Manley, Nismotronic, GT2876R 23psi, Meth, PSM HMIC, 850cc, N62, S15 HLSD, Z32 Spec 3, D21 Fidanza = ??.? @ ??? 440whp/380wtq
YouTube Channel -> http://goo.gl/MZ5EE
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Irresistible »

Yea I'd like to keep the stock one, partially because I don't want to have to deal with an annoying light, and I don't want to remove the bulb because I'm too lazy to take the cluster out.

Well I shot Nissport an e-mail... hopefully they get back to me soon.

As for that Subaru thing you posted a link to... That's exactly what the Nissport adapter is, but the Nissport adapter has 3 NPT ports instead of just one. Which would be perfect in my case.

Another thing I don't want to do is weld the oil temp sender onto the oil pan, because I have Autometer gauges for now, and I will be upgrading to Defi/Stri/Greddy/Blitz soon.
emo_tactical9
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by emo_tactical9 »

jholman05 wrote:Weird, there isn't a place that really sells the old Tuner Toys/Stealthmode performance style anymore. The closest I could find was this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-IMPREZA- ... 5d3e352cc7

Only bad thing is it's in the UK

Then you could easily drill and tap the other side of the 1/8 NPT out for another 1/8 NPT. Have youre oil feed, oil pressure and oil switch all on it. Then like he ^ said weld a bung onto your oil pan for oil temp. I have mine mounted on the side of the sump where the oil drain is. On the back side of the pan. Might just be easier to use that sandwich plate, I've just never been a fan of those things.
I have been using one of these: http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-Oil- ... p_314.html
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

jholman05 wrote:It's not but my oil pressure gauge is off to the side, why disable something useful if you dont have to?
Oh I completely understand. I've been debating what to do with mine. We'll see how ambitious I am once I get the filter relocation kit. Chances are I'll end up ditching mine for simplicity.
kacam24det
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by kacam24det »

I welded a bung into the pan at the bottom for oil temp and using a mechanical gauge. I used a 1/8" npt to 4AN fitting for oil feed to the turbo.
Cam
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Irresistible »

emo_tactical9 wrote:
I have been using one of these: http://store.42draftdesigns.com/VW-Oil- ... p_314.html
That looks like another option, but the threads are 1/8NPT, and the block and stock sender on the KA is 1/8BSPT... And I don't want to mix and match the two because I really don't feel like dealing with leaks later. Do it once, do it right.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Irresistible wrote:
emo_tactical9 wrote:
That looks like another option, but the threads are 1/8NPT, and the block and stock sender on the KA is 1/8BSPT... And I don't want to mix and match the two because I really don't feel like dealing with leaks later. Do it once, do it right.
You can re-tap that hole (no pun intended) to your liking. I've removed the plug on my oil filter adapter and re-tapped it with 1/8 NPT. It's too easy not to do it.
ashy-larry
240sx Wannabe

Post by ashy-larry »

I dont remember which sandwich adapter plate I used(Basically the same thing you're looking at) but I successfully ran one w/no leaks or problems so I could keep the oem sensor and route the feed line in any direction desired w/out excessive bending of the line(W/out using an fittings etc...)
kacam24det
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by kacam24det »

mine never leaked before
Cam
Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Irresistible »

I'm thinking the best option is to get the Subaru adapter someone linked about on eBay, and then drilling out and tapping another hole. Then using a tee fitting for the two sensors for the time being until I can afford to relocate my filter and get a cooler and all that stuff.

Anyone on here using an NPT tee fitting?
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

The T fittings can break, especially with the weight of a pressure sender hanging off of it.

I used the glowshift adapter for a few years, it worked fine. I ran a separate line to the pressure sender, I didn't want the pressure sender to break for the same reason I don't like the T fittings.

First setup. One line is oil feed, other is about 2' and goes to the sending unit.

Now I'm running the Skullworks KA oil block adapter. Oil feed is on one port, stock pressure sender is on the other, and oil temp on the 3rd. Pressure sender is now on my thermostat housing.

Irresistible
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Irresistible »

Yea, the tee would just be a temporary solution until I get a whole oil filter relocation set up. I can see why it would break, the senders are pretty big and heavy for what they are.
Sil#2
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by Sil#2 »

I actually just installed that same glo shift sandwich plate this past weekend and questioned it at first as well. It's a tight fit with the sender attached directly to the sandwich plate, but it fits and so far no leaks. Make sure you use teflon tape on all threads and tighten the ports you're not using.
You may want to get a socket that fits the fastener to help secure the plate. I didn't have one big enough so I had to squeeze a wrench in there and hoped tightening the filter would tighten everything.
Again so far no leaks but I will pick up a socket and tighten it at the next oil change just for peace of mind. Just make sure you don't over tighten it.