So does anyone want to set up a new KA-T forum?

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
emo_tactical9
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

So does anyone want to set up a new KA-T forum?

Post by emo_tactical9 »

I am looking into it. The current management of this website seems content to sit back and collect without actually doing anything with it.
I don't like the ancient software this forum runs on, and I feel that it is going to be over run with spam and good original content is dwindling.
Just something I have been thinking about.
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

I'm down.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
Empire087
240sx Wannabe

Post by Empire087 »

IMO I think the idea needs a reboot, there's just so little traffic. Maybe we should go after a turbo 240sx forum that takes advantage of the knowledge of sr's, ka's, rb's, and other turbo motors. Things are too divided here. If someone is troubleshooting they are kinda stuck by motor, even though they are all essentially the same things.
Current rides:
2004.5 Silverado 2500hd ccsb 4x4 LLY Duramax
2009 Crossfire 1000 sno pro LE
(Potential):1991 Coupe 5spd
Previous:
1996 D21 4x4 5 sp ka24e-t
drunknmunky
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by drunknmunky »

I can donate 5 dollars to the cause after everything has been established.
FlatBlack

Post by FlatBlack »

Forums in general are dying, it's not KA-T's fault specifically.

Our local forum is pretty much dead, too. Was crazy busy up until FB got more popular and people switched to that site to waste their internet time on.
89 240SX Coupe
02 GMC Sierra Z71 5.3L 4x4
03 Kawasaki 636 ZX-6R
77 Honda Trail 70 140cc swap
Marcus
Wearer of Missing G-Strings!

Post by Marcus »

Could be an iffy response. A couple years ago we had a facebook thread and some of the senior guys are friends. Some of us are old enough now we're either dealing with houses and lawns and/or families and kids. 50 percent of their news feeds are the kids, the other is sweet manifolds and stuff.
I'd be cool with it however. :wink:
ReEducationThruLabor
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by ReEducationThruLabor »

Empire087 wrote:IMO I think the idea needs a reboot, there's just so little traffic. Maybe we should go after a turbo 240sx forum that takes advantage of the knowledge of sr's, ka's, rb's, and other turbo motors. Things are too divided here. If someone is troubleshooting they are kinda stuck by motor, even though they are all essentially the same things.
I agree with this as long as it pertains to engine tech and doesn't turn into another Zilvia
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never make it out alive"
wannabethestig

Post by wannabethestig »

I shop here for all my ka-t specific information, Nissan road racing for all things suspension and look anywhere I can for tuning theory and everything else car related. Our platform is old enough that there are very few "new" problems. It would be nice to not see all that spam though when I'mlooking for new posts.
My wife "haven't you spent enough time and money on that car yet?" my answer "no"

The build thread-> viewtopic.php?t=58421&highlight=
drunknmunky

Post by drunknmunky »

I don't want another site to replace this one to be honest.
I'd rather this one be improved.
240drew
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240drew »

I have been arround a little while on this forum. Late 2007 early 2008 and since then the traffic has declined steadily. Namely because of social media, but i also believe its because of this site. If you look at the forum and search, this is probably the most all inclusive place for any car motor as far as turbo charging goes. You really do not have to open a new thread to get something accomplished. For informational purposes the site is a gold mine. As for the fellowship of the forum most of that has been replaced by facebook. I know Ryan has a family now, I am about to get married. I have since moved on to different things. I still have a 240sx, but don't subscribe to the notion of speed over reliablity. I have often sacrificed in that area. Now, I stick mostly with stock motor swaps, or simple KA builds. My first 240 being trail and error. Second one was very expensive and very fast. Just didn't have the money to keep it up. Then i went to something fast and reliable. Bigger more powerful motor in a little ass 240sx tends to work wonders.
Cars
1996 240sx KAt28- Sold
1992 240sx RB20- Sold
1995 240sx RB25neo- Sold
1993 240sx 2jzgte- Sold
Current:
2006 Toyota Tundra
1995 240sx 2jzgte BWs366
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

I'm totally down to move, but the sad part is that without cooperation of the Administrators (Rick and Ryan) and then converting the database and other stuff would be a lot of work.

A couple of months ago I had expressed my distaste with the state of the forum and I was given the runaround. "We're working on it, we promise." - "Expect to see changes soon." etc...I even volunteered my full attention to the site and Administrator responsibilities but I was basically brushed away.

So I've kind of given up, maybe if enough people start barking up their tree we can get them moving - or convince them to migrate ownership.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
emo_tactical9

Post by emo_tactical9 »

airman wrote:I'm totally down to move, but the sad part is that without cooperation of the Administrators (Rick and Ryan) and then converting the database and other stuff would be a lot of work.

A couple of months ago I had expressed my distaste with the state of the forum and I was given the runaround. "We're working on it, we promise." - "Expect to see changes soon." etc...I even volunteered my full attention to the site and Administrator responsibilities but I was basically brushed away.

So I've kind of given up, maybe if enough people start barking up their tree we can get them moving - or convince them to migrate ownership.
I remember that too. They asked for volunteers for moderation, but they didn't even follow through with that. You think they would just appoint some guys that are trustworthy if they are never going to check on this site.
I am just frustrated with the amount of spam taking over, and the archaic software.
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
wheelman

Post by wheelman »

If you guys decide to create a new forum be sure to take a look at sites like Nissan Road Racing and HybridZ for examples of what to do and what not to do.
I've been a member on HybridZ for years and have contributed to several sticky threads there but the "new" BBS software it runs on is so slow I've stopped visiting. I don't know which BBS software Nissan Road Racing is based on but it's fast and the layout makes sense. The one big complaint I've had for all forums I belong to is the search capabilities REALLY suck.

I guess what I'm saying is I value a fast, responsive, simple interface over a bunch of bling that makes the site real slow. If you do create a new site and it has ANY flash based content I won't visit it.

Edit: I'd want to add, I like the idea of a turbo engine forum, if that's the direction you take it might be worth considering something that isn't dedicated to only Nissan engines.
I have no idea if a site like that already exists but it would make for a larger audience.
Wheelman

1992 240SX SE Hatch, KA24DET.
1973 240Z, LT1, 5-speed, worked suspension.

DON'T TOUCH MY JUNK!!
Somewhere the Zebra dances
Time is the fire in which we burn
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

honestly i no longer contribute that much to the forum any more so anything i say should be taken with a grain of salt....with that said.

I think the forum could do with a make over...the interface does seem dated....the search function seems retarded to be honest...i have trouble finding my own posts that sometimes i need to go back to for pictures, info etc...

i think the forum has covered almost everything you can possibly do to a KA...and alot of folks, myself included are probably getting kinda bored....and when a newbie comes along that asks a question that we know has been covered 10 billion times...we just shoot them down, rightfully so.

I sometimes feel like the forum has become self sustaining even if no one ever posts....because all the questions already have an answer if you search.

The KA is awesome.....but sometimes i feel like we just need to move on to something else.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
EAGLE-ARP-SUPERTECH 9:1 KA24DE
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
Full Race twin scroll manifold
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
arob987

Post by arob987 »

As others have said i love this forum for all the useful info that can be found it you know how to search for it cause the search is tricky,and the ka related parts for sale.and the spam is starting to get out of hand I logged into another forum and every post was spam pages and pages all the threads were gone, I'm a member of a few different forums not all 240 but a few of them have created facebook groups and get daily action with pics,vids,dynos,general chat,ect depending on the group lol and the forum gets very little.even my local 240 forum is slow I honestly don't even log into it much at all.Ill admit I don't post as much as I could/should but i do visit this forum frequently but it has gone down as there use to be a bunch of exciting stuff kill stories,videos,ect and as stated some people have gotten older and arent able to spend as much time on here as we use to when we were younger since we now work more,house choires,families,ect and we hasn't had an update since I can remember.the site went down a couple times but still the same.and if a new site is created I'd say keep it smartphone friendly cause I rarely ever get on my computer to do anything anymore,I'm sure there are others.
New turbo setup build in progress-11mm headstuds/cometic head gasket/jwt cam gears added,prec. 6266,gato mani,prec.46mm wg,bigger fmic,mspnp2,z32 trans,spec twin,q45 rear,full energy bushings. Still need injectors,and a few other small things

Old setup-ka24de-wiseco 9:1 pistons,eagle rods,arp studs,jwt s1 cams,brian crower springs and retainers,jgs log mani,t3 57trim .63 a/r,tomei 740cc,38mm turbonetics evolution wastegate,synapse bov,ebay fmic,nistune,j30 lsd.5 speed swap,z32 brakes F&R.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

drunknmunky wrote:I don't want another site to replace this one to be honest.
I'd rather this one be improved.
Me too.

*I get what people are saying about no really "new" problems to solve- I cannot tell you how many times I've told someone to check for "boost leaks" or "fuel filters" and that solving the problem.

*I also get that the content is pretty specific on here- Ka24e, Ka24de, N/A, supercharged, turbocharged.

*Yes there isn't THAT much activity on here.

*..and yes the site's technology is a little ancient compared to other forums.

This site is a huge wealth of knowledge about KA motors and we have some really smart people on here who are really good at presenting new ideas, learned knowledge, and working together to solve problems.

If we were to include other turbo motors (maybe just Nissan turbo motors?), we could potentially revive the site with more activity, ideas and perspectives on solving problems, but at what cost?

- It seems like everyone on here doesn't really answer a post without either knowing the topic well or doing some research. Some of these larger variety forums have SOO much JUNK INFO and OPINIONATED GARBAGE its ridiculous and can be really misleading at times. I like Ka-t because I can look something up on here and find true and more importantly TESTED info.

Plus......

I'd feel like a traitor if I left here for another KA-T kind of forum haha, this is like the OG KA-T database of everything KA-T. I would really, REALLY like to see if we could keep the same web address, but maybe run on a new operating system and transfer over the "sticky-ed" threads to the new setup; maybe like a tech page like nico has. I think the newer operating system would help attract new members too to boost activity on here.

Hoping we can take some action with this new/ revived site idea.

I'm down for this. Please pm me if there is anything I can do to help with this.

For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
boker240

Post by boker240 »

as long as its a ka forum and nothing else.
i like that its ka-t specific.and like said before i ran outa money to keep the ka-t up but,,,i would definatly turbo it again if finances allowed and use this site for anything i don't already know.
most likely will happen too as my son graduates next year.
arias 8.8.1,615 tomie inj.,clevite bearings,arp 10mm hs,z32 maf,jwt ecu,intake butterflies removed,all emissions removed,cx rad. dif dual fan controller,altima dual fans,fidanza fw,stage 3 clutch,solid d shaft,j30 rearend,energy suspension bushings,kyb struts,155 lbs weight reduction.
currently n/a.

He'll probably blow the motor, and then join the army of retards who hate on KA's for no good reason.
Marcus
Wearer of Missing G-Strings!

Post by Marcus »

There is a lot of divisions of the sections in this forum...but I still think there is much room for improvement. Suspension, Brakes, crossbreed compatible parts, transmission options. Revamp at the least.
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

I'm with whatever. I do think this forum type blows. It's ancient, works like balls on a phone and decent on pc.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Rick was working on something a couple of months ago, but I'm sure sure of his progress since then.

http://www.ka-t.org/forums-new/

I just heard from him that a timeline is looking somewhere towards the end of this month on having something launched (I'm guessing this is what he means by "Still planning by the end of June.")
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
FlatBlack

Post by FlatBlack »

wheelman wrote:If you guys decide to create a new forum be sure to take a look at sites like Nissan Road Racing and HybridZ for examples of what to do and what not to do.
I've been a member on HybridZ for years and have contributed to several sticky threads there but the "new" BBS software it runs on is so slow I've stopped visiting. I don't know which BBS software Nissan Road Racing is based on but it's fast and the layout makes sense. The one big complaint I've had for all forums I belong to is the search capabilities REALLY suck.
HybridZ is the PERFECT example of how to muck up a website while trying to "improve" it.

They were much like KA-T where most items were a search away. The move to IPB boards made the search function completely worthless, and I was using google to search HBZ if I wanted to find anything.

I don't see a new KA-T site going well.
89 240SX Coupe
02 GMC Sierra Z71 5.3L 4x4
03 Kawasaki 636 ZX-6R
77 Honda Trail 70 140cc swap
all shal perrish

Post by all shal perrish »

count me in
www.autovaughnperformance.com

NISTUNE EXCELLENT TUNING AT AN EXCELLENT PRICE (pm with questions regarding)

I AM ON THE HUNT FOR JWT CAM GEARS..
if you have some, pm me
sil-coupe
240sx Wannabe

Post by sil-coupe »

I honestly don"t see a new site being very successful. It would have some traffic from here and everything would be transferred from here to there via links. I'm certain I'd join... I just don"t think ditching this forum is the answer. This site needs a MAJOR update that"s for sure. Better functionality for smart phones and a new look. A lot of clean-up is needed and I see that taking a while but we ARE getting to the point FlatBlack made where its almost faster to search google because there are soo many threads on one subject. There are already several threads on here with hybrid/domestic engine swaps and SR20DET"s... Maybe with a refresh the site could be geared more toward the turbo four in general. Although I hope it doesn"t ever go the way of zilvia or nicoclub, both of which I very rarely visit for many reasons. We have a small community here and that is cool in its own right but there are a whole lot more ka-T's out there that aren"t represented here... So, there is definitely room for growth. The stickies that we have here are awesome and I'd really like to see a little more for the sake of the casual one post passerby's and for good info in general... You guys have done an amazing job over the years! But for god sakes fix the firewall already! ...sweet someone just posted new pics in the KA-T Picture Threads... sunglasses... euro kitchens... huh, wait, what!?
"Build it, have fun with it, break it, and rebuild it." Brian Parker
"Shiny fittings are for ricers, race cars have zip ties and hose clamps." Barton Black
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Sil I completely agree with you. Leaving the site is the worst option. However, take a look at this thread from 2011:

viewtopic.php?t=53509

The only thing that happened out of that was me/supa getting mod status. The problem with staying here is that the owners refuse to transfer ownership or even grant me Administrative status. I have been begging to help both Rick and Ryan - luckily Rick will respond but only a small piece of what he's talking about gets done until the next time he gets around to doing something. Ryan, on the other hand, won't give me the time of day.

It's a very frustrating situation. I have been pushing for almost two years for this forum to get a makeover and a reorganization but that has not happened. As much as I hate to say it, I have very little confidence in the 'owners' and that any of the suggestions outlined in this thread will ever be implemented before it's too late.

I understand that they are busy and have lives, but for ****'s sake guys you need to realize that you need to pass it along to someone else.

**** OR GET OFF THE POT, SERIOUSLY
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

I'm in. The owners here really don't seem to care about the site at all. To be honest, I'm just happy every time I come to the site and see it's still up. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one day it's just gone because they decided they didn't want to mess with it anymore.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
sdaigle240

Post by sdaigle240 »

didnt sr20 forums do this? they like changed to sr-20forums or something and just archived all the old threads. usually good tuning knowledge over there.
airman wrote:I'm all about spreadsheets. Bitches love spreadsheets.
schmauster920 wrote:I shall cast my own pistons in the sands of time, then forge them in the depths of hell.. as funds allow
hy35 18psi Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=38784
RIP MJL best friend of 20 years and the man who showed me 240s
240-kid
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by 240-kid »

OR, you guys can come to 240SXForums :p

But in all seriousness the site does need some kind of update, there's lots of spam bots and crap. The ONLY thing I wouldn't like of an out come is the increase in fan boys/wannabe's. But that comes with any territory so it's inevitable.

I've also asked to help from modding and maybe even Admin seeing as how I'm Admin of 240SXForums, just to help out around here cause I'm on pretty often. Always come here and check on new stuff, may not post but definitely here.
mmmS13

Post by mmmS13 »

As much as the idea of making a new site seems great, this forum still has a ton of information on it. It also has a ton of new spam as of recently.

It would make sense to figure out which is more efficient, making a new site of fixing an old one. Whatever happens hopefully it is in the right direction. I love the fact that this is forum is made for Ka-t's but it almost seems that the fact its just for Ka-t's is why its dying? I mean zilvia will probably never die as its full of random crap. 85% random crap.

Excited to see what happens though! :D
230k stock block
50 trim 16psi
810cc DW's
Z32 MAF
Enthalpy Tuned
*Sold*
Evo X Cornfed

http://www.youtube.com/LGmmkay
^ Youtube Channel ^

viewtopic.php?p=496648#496648
^ Build Thread ^

viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
^ Considering E-Mance? Read this ^
KA-T S12
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by KA-T S12 »

I don't post a real lot, I'm currently building and I plan to make a thread about it when I'm done. But, I think updates and/or change of ownership would be very helpful to the site and members. I don't wanna go to a 240 forum, helllloooo, S12... And others are going ka-t in different vehicles. The ka-t specificness of it all makes the info really great. Need info on a different engine, go somewhere else. But you won't find anything better about ka-t's anywhere other than here :wink:
merlin240s13

Post by merlin240s13 »

IMO the site could use a clean up/updated software-wise... however difficult that may be. I've stopped perusing a long time ago, Mostly due to staring at the laptop screen for weeks on end back in the day. I soaked up A LOT of automotive theory from this site. Yet, that was before the HEAVY influx of fanboys hit. My visits diminished rapidly after 2009. Yet there is a wealth of knowledge here, and I believe what made it work so well back then was specifics. Things are either turbo or non turbo, DOHC or SOHC. Organization is key. To stay organized things must be laid out correctly and maintained. I've been thinking of creating a forum for awhile now based on engine dynamics/flow efficiencies, etc. Kind of like a step by step course on engines in forum form, that could work its practice from n/a to boost. answering most noob questions along the way. I would love to have a serious forum again. If anyone is serious about be involved heavily in something of this nature feel free to pm me.