Knocklite Testing before Installation

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
LPime001
Dreams of owning a 240!

Knocklite Testing before Installation

Post by LPime001 »

Quick question for all you Knocklite users out there.

I recently picked up a used turboxs knocklite. Does anyone know if there is a way I can power up the unit to verify that it works?

I have all of the installation and programming documents and know exactly how to wire it up, but I cant seem to make it do anything by giving it power and ground.

I understand that the unit needs to read the RPM signal in order for it to go through the startup sequence, but is there anything I can do to make it light up in anyway before I go through the complete installation process? I would love to see some sign of life before I waste a day installing it.

Thanks
Turbonetics 50 Trim T3/T4 .63ar
JGS Log Mani & Downpipe
Turbonetics Wastegate
Greddy Type RS Blow Off
PLX Wideband
Prosport Boost and Oil Gauge
CalumRT
WRX STI Injectors
beercandrifter
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Re: Knocklite Testing before Installation

Post by beercandrifter »

got me interested in how to test it as well. I bet matt cramer from diyautotune would be able to chime in on how to test one of these

output of knock sensor is a logical 0-5v output (unsure of frequency), could use a frequency generator (or cheat and use a logic output of a headphone jack playing known frequency values in the range of the knock sensor, they make sound clips for testing certain frequencies)
would need standard power/ground hookups

didn't see anything out there on testing them unless its hooked up to the engine
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Its a piezoelectric sensor meaning it will make voltage when there are vibrations (or more when detonation)

Just tap the sensor and it should make a little voltage
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
LPime001
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by LPime001 »

Beercan,
Your test sounds very interesting, but i think its a bit too technical for me. LOL
I tried a ghetto test by back probing the MAF plug and connecting the knocklite to the positive, negative and MAF signal. I was hoping the MAF signal voltage would be close to the RPM voltage, but its probably not because it did not work.
I just sent Matt Cramer a PM. Thanks for the advice.

schmauster920,
I came across a bunch of threads about people checking if the knock sensor was working by tapping it with a screw driver and making sure the knocklite would display the knock. Ill probably try this before conducting the calibration when I install the unit. My issue at the moment is that i want to make it light up without completely installing it just to make sure that it works.
JGS Log Mani & Downpipe
Turbonetics Wastegate
Greddy Type RS Blow Off
PLX Wideband
CalumRT
WRX STI Injectors
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

First, keep in mind I have zero experience with the Knock Lite. I just designed a similar circuit for the MSPNP.

We initially tested our knock circuit by finding a "sine sweep" file and playing it through a PC sound card. I wanted to be sure it would respond most to the right frequency. After we checked that... we bolted a knock sensor to a beater Sentra and made the engine knock until it wouldn't start. A fairly effective way of testing a knock circuit, but if you're not planning to make them commercially, it could be a bit pricey.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

if you want to send it back this way, I can hook it up to my frequency generator and mess with it some. will cover the shipping
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
LPime001
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by LPime001 »

Thank guys for all the help. Just to clarify, all I want to do right now is power up the unit to see if it works before installing it. From reading the manual, it seems like power, ground and rpm signal should initiate a startup sequence. I have not tapped the RPM line yet so this may be my problem.

This weekend I'm going to remove the plastic cover on the ECU plug and backprobe the knock and rpm pins, and provide power and ground. Hopefully it will light up in some way and I can begin tearing apart my dash and center console.

beercandrifter wrote:if you want to send it back this way, I can hook it up to my frequency generator and mess with it some. will cover the shipping
Thanks beercan for standing behind your sale. Ill let you know if I get it to work this weekend.
JGS Log Mani & Downpipe
Turbonetics Wastegate
Greddy Type RS Blow Off
PLX Wideband
CalumRT
WRX STI Injectors