Rebuild- Bottom end seals

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
Kassroth
NooB

Rebuild- Bottom end seals

Post by Kassroth »

I am putting my bottom end back together (been about 3 months since I took it apart). I bought the Cometic bottom end kit from FRsport in the link: http://i2.frsimg.com/images/detailed_im ... c0c372.jpg
I can't seem to figure out where 3 of the items go and I have searched the FSM to no resolve...
1. The L-shaped gasket, where does it go?
2. The small black rubber o-ring, again can't find where it goes...
3. The orange gasket/seal (was never in my kit...), I believe this to be for the location identified in this picture: http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj68 ... ild024.jpg. If so, I will have to get another.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
K

**Edit - I should have clarified, it's a DOHC**
Last edited by Kassroth on Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Re: Rebuild- Bottom end seals

Post by schmauster920 »

DOHC? I dont recognize the L shaped gasket or the thin O rings

I got my oil pump seal that goes on the front cover at a nissan dealership for 6 bucks and they were in stock
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
Kassroth
NooB

Post by Kassroth »

Yeah, all the others make sense. Front and rear main oil seals, but for the life of me I can't find a definite location for the three I listed..! As I mentioned the FSM doesn't show them anywhere in the exploded view on EM-12 of the '97 manual.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

They could be for the truck or altima version of the KA, dont forget they include extra things that you wont necessarily use... Maybe someone else will chime in. I have rebuilt quite a few KAs and as far as i can remember the distributor and fuel system are the only things that use O rings.

Maybe emissions related?
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
Kassroth
NooB

Post by Kassroth »

Hmm perhaps... What about that location in the picture with the arrow, any seal needed for that other than liquid gasket? Reason I ask is because I put the lower timing cover on already and don't want to take it off if I don't have to!
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Sorry buddy

You need to put that gromet in there rather than just RTV. Im sure RTV will hold up for a bit, but its under 60+psi which is a lot for RTV sealing against a semi flat surface
Kassroth
NooB

Post by Kassroth »

Copy that, thanks for the reply! Just a bit of re-work, but its easy at this stage at the very least.
drunknmunky
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by drunknmunky »

Other than what he said everything looks like it is in order.

People forget that grommet all the time... and then what hell happens afterwards is FML status.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

I put a very light coat of rtv on the seal too, even though it shouldnt need it