brain crower 96mm stroke crankshaft

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
ka240de
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

brain crower 96mm stroke crankshaft

Post by ka240de »

Alright so I've been around for a while but new as a member
I'm building a ka-t and I'm in the process of ordering parts, I've ordered a cp piston and braincrower h beam package from real street.

This thread is concerning the brain crower STOCK STROKE(96mm) fully counterwieghted crankshaft as I can not find info on it anywhere, all that ever comes up is about 102mm stroker kits.

To wiegh out the pros and cons

Pro's
fully counterwieghted

Con's
Extra wieght mean heavier crankshaft

If there is more to add feel free. But this is what I'm concerned about and how much one will outwiegh the other.

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/nissan ... anks.shtml

Thanks
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 bmw 540i written off
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
smbonn2005

Re: brain crower 96mm stroke crankshaft

Post by smbonn2005 »

ka240de wrote:Alright so I've been around for a while but new as a member
I'm building a ka-t and I'm in the process of ordering parts, I've ordered a cp piston and braincrower h beam package from real street.

This thread is concerning the brain crower STOCK STROKE(96mm) fully counterwieghted crankshaft as I can not find info on it anywhere, all that ever comes up is about 102mm stroker kits.

To wiegh out the pros and cons

Pro's
fully counterwieghted

Con's
Extra wieght mean heavier crankshaft

If there is more to add feel free. But this is what I'm concerned about and how much one will outwiegh the other.

http://www.briancrower.com/makes/nissan ... anks.shtml

Thanks
The pro of it being a fully counterweighted crank is huge. It virtually eliminates any bearing problems due to harmonics, and because of this can allow you to rev higher therefore making more power.

The con is much less of a problem than you would think. Yes it may be heavier but it rotates in a circle unlike the pistons and rods. Keep in mind, a nice thing about a heavier crank on a turbo car is it makes it take longer for revs to fall as centrifugal force wants to make it keep spinning, such as between shifts ;-)
wheelman

Post by wheelman »

Just how high do you want to rev?
I regularly rev my stock crank to 7000rpm on autocross courses with no bearing problems.
I also don't "notice" any fall off in power that can be attributed to power robbing harmonics, although it is undoubtedly happening.

Just for completeness I'm running the stock intake manifold with no changes, a JGS log type exhaust manifold, a T3 from an SVO Mustang at 12psi max with all the necessary supporting mods (not going to list them all). The power curve flattens out above 6000rpm but is still pulling all the way to 7000.
Wheelman

1992 240SX SE Hatch, KA24DET.
1973 240Z, LT1, 5-speed, worked suspension.

DON'T TOUCH MY JUNK!!
Somewhere the Zebra dances
Time is the fire in which we burn
RosadoRacing
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by RosadoRacing »

I revved mine to 7800 for a whole season bearings looked fine. But now my shift light is 7k and makes plenty of power so why kill the motor when it makes the power down low?
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

I'd like a safe 7100 if I stay stock . I did not understand that It took soo much more work and definatly isn't drop in. How is the jgs log mani ? I'm concerned that it will cause to much turbulance and heat. But I plan to run 91+methanol. I'm using an hx35w and kelford 272's. I know the hx35 has zero fitment issues with that mani and itl be some good money saved.
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 bmw 540i written off
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
96_240_KA
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by 96_240_KA »

To me >$2000 is a con but other than that it's great.

:twocents-02cents:
1996 240SX SE - Sold
1998 240SX SE - Sold
2008 350Z - Sold
2013 FR-S - DD (Blown transmission)
1998 240SX - Full-Race GT3576R street/track build