KA-T questions.

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
MidnightSavages
NooB

KA-T questions.

Post by MidnightSavages »

Hi,
So im new to this forum, I have been on the Zilvia website for quite sometime (lots of douches.) But I like to go streeting (drifting)
with buddies. I use to own a s13 Hatch with a KA24de and I built this car over last summer, my plans were to make it to have some descent interior and just be good daily and streeting car with buddies. well I never got to get the full potential out of my car and sold it, since I had to leave for a vocational school to become an electrical line worker. I needed the money also. But now I am back from school and am starting my new job and still have the love for drifting and building cars. The cool thing is I will be able to afford cool @ss stuff since this career field pays really well lol. So I have been looking and am deciding to go with a s14 and I have debated whether to go SR like a MAJORITY of people do or do a 1jz swap or just stick with the KA and do a full Tomei rebuild add boost and see what happens lol. I am not familiar with the KA other than using the motor to get the basics of drifting and go right to SR like my friends tell me to do. So I am coming to all you for some knowledge about the motor with a few questions cuz I feel the motor has way more potential then what my friends say it does have. so here are a few questions.

1) SR20 vs KA24 comparison?
2) Reliability of the KA24
3) Tomei bottom to top rebuild or no?
4) Any boosted KA-T drifters that would like to share their input about it? (response,reliability, etc.)

Thank you for your time and I hope to here some feedback! Thanks guys!
drifting1two40
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Re: KA-T questions.

Post by drifting1two40 »

Well just my 2 cents quit listening to everyone elsr and do what you want. 1 KA for life 2 only as reliable as how much effort you put in,it
drifting1two40
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by drifting1two40 »

By the way i drift but still na ka right now turbo in the works
http://vimeo.com/59118405
signals13
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by signals13 »

Hello and welcome, sorry I don't want to sound like people from zilvia but hit that search button and lots of answers will be found.
But continuing on lol, personally I love this engine and how stout and how much torque it has stock. I have a turbo KA but yet to see what it is capable of i.e. no tune yet :-(. But just driving it around my block it feels a whole lot better than SR's I've been in with same mods. Reliably N/A engine I would beat the crap out of it and would not hesitate I just hope now that its turbo'd it will be just as reliable but I'll let you know.

Oh and if you have the money and want to spend it on all those nice Tomei parts go for it. What are your power goals?
240sxfan6882

Post by 240sxfan6882 »

MidnightSavages wrote:Hi,
1) SR20 vs KA24 comparison?
2) Reliability of the KA24
3) Tomei bottom to top rebuild or no?
4) Any boosted KA-T drifters that would like to share their input about it? (response,reliability, etc.)

Thank you for your time and I hope to here some feedback! Thanks guys!
The the KA or SR topic has been seriously discussed for at least 10 years by now- so next time please do your research before you ask dead horse-beaten Qs.

Look at lots of threads here about building the KA to know it's limitations, common issues, and strengths and which parts are good and work well.

Now for your Qs:
2. The KA will be as reliable as the parts and machine work that you put into it (internals, tuning, etc...)
I recommend that you do it well the FIRST time so that it doesn't cost you twice by having it go bad because of a crappy part (which happens to a ton of cheap-ass people). Stay away from anything that's not an OEM timing chain kit, and use name brand internals.

3. Tomei stuff is GOOD. I use their 740cc injectors and those things are solid and have been going strong now for some years, and they bolt straight into the KA fuel rail with no mods. They should be putting out some KA stuff soon because they've been developing for it for like a year or so by now. They'll be putting out a turbo kit in what looks like different stages along with cams and who knows what else, so if you want to go that route just wait and research a bit more. And expect it to NOT be cheap.

Good luck!!
mmmS13

Post by mmmS13 »

Because I miss my car, ill put in my :twocents-twocents:
I went KA-T on my first car and I loved it. (See my build thread for the setup if you wish) Made great power with a huge powerband. But personally I prefer going fast in a straight line not so much sideways (though it is very fun I just built an all around car).

1) If I was going to build a drift car id honestly go SR (for a smooth powerband) or a bigger motor in general (like a 1j or V8) The KA for me was a great learning experience as I didn't have much knowledge in wiring and stuff of that nature, (and going ka-t for me was 90% replacing parts)

2) The KA is very reliable if you do things properly. If you cheap out on something big you can/probably will blow it up. (any motor not just KA's)

3) if you've got money to blow Tomei stuff looks promising but there are other options out there, if your hp goals are low OEM internals could hold.

4) you could look at it 2 ways. First, if you go Ka-T you're boosting a motor that is na (obviously :mrgreen: ) if you do a motor swap like an SR or 1j you're wiring a turbo motor to work in your car.

My car made full boost (16psi) at 3500rpms, made great power all the way to 7500rpms & (maybe 340-350whp give or take 20hp) and I daily drove that car in Hot (100 degree) weather and Cold (14 degree) weather. But honestly everything you've asked about is in depth on this website. Hopefully I have helped a little.
230k stock block
50 trim 16psi
810cc DW's
Z32 MAF
Enthalpy Tuned
*Sold*
Evo X Cornfed

http://www.youtube.com/LGmmkay
^ Youtube Channel ^

viewtopic.php?p=496648#496648
^ Build Thread ^

viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
^ Considering E-Mance? Read this ^
MidnightSavages
NooB

Post by MidnightSavages »

Thank you all for the replies!!! I have done more research for the motors and what maybe what I want and I am probably gonna stay KA, the motor is a tank and can be abused and I just watched a tomei motor building video and it was on a KA :dance: So i have seen the price of the full rebuild and its gonna cost a pretty penny for sure, but thats why I work 50+ hrs a week lol. Anyways I am very sorry that I didnt do my research didnt mean to offend any of you. BUt thank you for getting back to me all of your guyses input helped ALOT. Thank you! :text-search: