11mm headstuds

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
ka240de
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

11mm headstuds

Post by ka240de »

quick question, ive searched, and there is mostly only "for sale " etc.

how is this done?
drop in?
helicoil?
or just send it to my machinist and he will take care of it.

I want a very safe build and want to have decent torque #'s. my goal is in the 500 whp area and i really want an hta3582. itl be street tuned aem ems.
and id like to run race fuel at the strip and turn up the boost without worrying about lifting the head.

where do you buy your l19's?
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 bmw 540i written off
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
adamky
SuperMod

Re: 11mm headstuds

Post by adamky »

Try searching for "timeserts" and you'll find more info.
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
240sxfan6882

Post by 240sxfan6882 »

I remember seeing a thread like that on here about someone installing 11mm studs on a KA head.
It was on the KA-T Picture Thread builds I think- it showed where it has to be drilled and what not to do.

I couldn't find it either though
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

Best way I can explain it....
They are only 1mm larger, so if you try to just tap them in, there isn't enough meat to make new threads.

You have to basically drill out your block, then tap in a new threaded "sleeve" that will bite into the block, as well as have threads for your new larger studs to thread into. I'll see if I can find a picture.

I was running 35+psi on 10mm ARP's with a steel headgasket with no problems. I guess if you want to be sure your head wont lift, go for it. But the money isn't worth it IMO. If you have a good tune, you shouldn't be lifting your head.

EDIT:
Forgot to add, that your stud that goes into the head that allows oil by to get to the head, will need to be a modified one, and you have to drill out a little bit of clearance.
Alonso
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by Alonso »

You only need timeserts if you go with fine pitch threads on the block side of the stud. If you go with studs that have M11x1.5 threads on the block side, the inserts are not needed. The factory head bolt holes are M10x1.5 and can easily be drilled and tapped to M11x1.5. I'm sure this has been discussed before be cause I brought this up...

FYI RB20/RB25DET ARP heads studs are the correct length and have M11x1.5 threads. They're are not L19 though, but ARP does offer the same studs in L19 material. I believe the original application is for VG30DETT main studs
Billet PTE 6765 divided T4, Nismotronic, Speed density, Coil on plug conversion.

AWS D17.1 certified ;)
Follow me on Instagram: @alonso240
ka240de

Post by ka240de »

im thinking next time I crack the engine open I will get custom 10mm l19 studs and cosworth gasket im running 10mm arps and cometic high boost on c16 for track and the odd rip on the street otherwise its 91 and water injection. plan to run a custom twinscroll hta-3582 on a fullrace manifold. head is built and full p&p etc. so I hope to get my power goals of 400 street around 16 psi and 600 track under 30 psi. the right hotside chosen this shouldn't be a problem. plan on reving to 7400 with an ati damper.

there is no budget in mind with this build I wouldn't pick a different engine to spend money on haha ! ka's are awesome. sometimes I wish I just put an evo x on payments instead lmao.

hope to shock some people and really wake up the ka with a twinscroll hta.

but the engine will be torn apart and a light rebuild and some things I wish I did differently so those 10mm l19's should hold 30+ no problem.
1991 sil-eighty se sold
1995 bmw 540i written off
1995 pathfinder se, sold
1995 Altima gxe, sold
s14fiend

Post by s14fiend »

eazye2000 wrote:Best way I can explain it....
They are only 1mm larger, so if you try to just tap them in, there isn't enough meat to make new threads.

You have to basically drill out your block, then tap in a new threaded "sleeve" that will bite into the block, as well as have threads for your new larger studs to thread into. I'll see if I can find a picture.

I was running 35+psi on 10mm ARP's with a steel headgasket with no problems. I guess if you want to be sure your head wont lift, go for it. But the money isn't worth it IMO. If you have a good tune, you shouldn't be lifting your head.

EDIT:
Forgot to add, that your stud that goes into the head that allows oil by to get to the head, will need to be a modified one, and you have to drill out a little bit of clearance.

Didn't want to bump an old thread but... 35+ psi on what turbo a t25 t28 stock turbo? I do realize turbo size might not influence but just curious as to what turbo....