I want an electric 240

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
R34SR
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

I want an electric 240

Post by R34SR »

never thought id say it, but i honestly think that within the next 2 years, if i still have my 240 id like to make it electric...whats even more compelling is that its become so easy and simple to do it. At the moment if i had the funding id probably use one of the transmission adapters from here :

$430

http://www.electriccarpartscompany.com/ ... p_184.html

id love the zilla 1k controller from manzanita, but realistically id probably just build the controller from this guy :

http://www.paulandsabrinasevstuff.com/store/page3.html

$600 for a 144v 500 amp controller is a damn steal and i actually scanned through all 60 pages of the instructions and it seems hella easier than making a megasquirt module.

motor is probably one of the most confusing because of how many routes you can go, especially considering the costs...but the netgain warp series motors seems like a solid choice....depending on how much cash i oneday decide to set aside for this project, maybe the warp 9 or 11 here :

http://www.evsource.com/tls_motors.php

$1600

Batteries is what im about to start researching, battery tech is really truly the limitation for these cars, hopefully that will change in coming years. if i can afford a stack of lipo's.

No this setup still probably wouldnt hold a candle to my current 300whp setup, but thats not the point...once the batteries and controllers become affordable, 300whp/300ftlb will be a joke, and best of all, we wont be called grease monkeys anymore :-)

just thought it would be a fun project....fotgot to mention that a charging source of some sort is also needed depending on battery choice.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
EAGLE-ARP-SUPERTECH 9:1 KA24DE
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
Full Race twin scroll manifold
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
adamky
SuperMod

Re: I want an electric 240

Post by adamky »

Interesting idea. I saw this guy's electric 240 a few years ago and pondered doing this myself: http://www.jouleinjected.com/
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

definitely wouldn't be the first person to consider it. if i could swallow the cost of a battery pack (even just using agm or lead acid batteries), I would switch. but those lipos man, I can buy a decent new car for the price of a lipo pack that would get me 100 mile range.
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
Matt Cramer
KA-T.org Sponsor
KA-T.org Sponsor

Post by Matt Cramer »

I've sometimes daydreamed about trying to build an electric car with a locomotive traction motor, but the batteries and control circuits to support one of those monsters wouldn't have been cheap.
Matt at DIYAutoTune.com - Megasquirt ECUs, fuel injectors, wideband O2 sensor systems, and more
Nissan plug and play engine management now in stock!
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Yeah its unfortunate that battery technology seems so damn far off from being cost effective....electric motors are clearly the future, I mean who doesn't want 300ftlbs at 0 rpm with the simplicity of an electric motor compared to a combustion engine..... Maybe we should focus on creating an dedicated electrical track lane on certain major highways to boost range of electric cars....kinda like a slot car lane :-)
And even when battery tech catches up, they can charge users by the kilowatt to use the said track, like an easy pass charge lane.
Since im on a roll here, the entire road would be one large Wireless Qi enabled charge mat for the underside of our cars......I should patent these ideas.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
EAGLE-ARP-SUPERTECH 9:1 KA24DE
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
Full Race twin scroll manifold
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

I would much rather see something replace the need for batteries as the power source and still use the electric motors

I dont understand how tesla (the person not the company) was able to do that ages ago(run an entire car off of inductance), yet we dont do it now
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Lots of amazing ideas were lost with Tesla :/
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

This is a really cool idea! Thanks for sharing.

Do you guys think there would be any advantages to gearing an electric motor to keep the shifting aspect of the driving experience?

At the moment I can't think of any advantages of doing this and the more I think of this, the more I'm realizing the disadvantages to keeping the transmission and clutch, such as the need for these parts to handle the torque loads an electric motor would produce during stop-and-go situations and the unnecessary friction and heat associated with the transmission. I just thought it would be cool to manually shift gears in an electric car :D .
For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

cleantune wrote:.
This is a really cool idea! Thanks for sharing.

Do you guys think there would be any advantages to gearing an electric motor to keep the shifting aspect of the driving experience?

At the moment I can't think of any advantages of doing this and the more I think of this, the more I'm realizing the disadvantages to keeping the transmission and clutch, such as the need for these parts to handle the torque loads an electric motor would produce during stop-and-go situations and the unnecessary friction and heat associated with the transmission. I just thought it would be cool to manually shift gears in an electric car :D .
there is always a benefit to having a transmission to reduce the amount of power required by the motor. electric motors consume current ~exponentially the higher the rpm, so they still benefit from the reduction in rpm.
Walperstyle

Post by Walperstyle »

Here is my friend's EV 240. He was also one of the first guys to do a SR Swap and document for people online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtm6ddTl3I0
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

beercandrifter wrote:
there is always a benefit to having a transmission to reduce the amount of power required by the motor. electric motors consume current ~exponentially the higher the rpm, so they still benefit from the reduction in rpm.
Awesome! So could this be the next step for electric cars then? If so, you guys read the idea for a geared electric motor powered Nissan 240sx here, first, on KA-T.org from me Cleantune! haha.
Walperstyle wrote:Here is my friend's EV 240. He was also one of the first guys to do a SR Swap and document for people online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtm6ddTl3I0
I watched the video, thanks for sharing, that was really cool! It looked like the electric motor was in the front. Do you know if that EV 240 runs off of the stock drive train (ds, diff, axels)? I also saw that the gear shifter was still installed; you wouldn't happen to know if this EV 240 geared, do you?

For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing