ka24det wont start

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
Bladergang240
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

ka24det wont start

Post by Bladergang240 »

just got done with my build and it wont start its getting fuel and spark and the timing is perfect redid the ignition timing numurous times thinking maybe thats it i reallly have no more ideas what to mess with have got a new battery since this and it cranks stronger but still nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY7ChuXLFpo
thanks
adamky
SuperMod

Re: ka24det wont start

Post by adamky »

I'm wondering about the tune. Maybe it's dumping way too much fuel. Try starting it. Then pull the fuel pump fuse and try again. If it still won't fire up for a second to burn off the fuel left in the rail.. and you are definitely getting fuel and spark, your timing is probably still off. So, try adjusting the dizzy all the way left or all the way right. Give it some throttle while cranking and see if you can get it to fire a few times. If it does, then you definitely still have the timing wrong.

It took me 5 or 6 tries to get my ignition timing right this last time. And this was not even close to my first time setting timing on a KA. It happens to the best of us!
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
Bladergang240

Post by Bladergang240 »

Yeah I tried that tonight actually pulled the pump fuse and it sound like it was about to crank up but then went back to this, I'll check the timing again tomorrow forsure
modulation
240sx Wannabe

Post by modulation »

Just some general things I'd check.
- What do new plugs look like after trying to start? Are they dry? When you take them out does it smell like fuel?
- Make sure your battery voltage stays good, if it droops too low ECU won't turn on fuel pump relay.
- Turn dizzy all the way one way and see if it fires any better, turn it all the way the other way see if it fires any better. If it fires better in one extreme direction restab.
- If you disconnected fuel rail, make sure you got hoses connected right (seen people have them reversed.)

If new plugs come out wet after a few start attempts, I'd put them back in, and try pull fuel pump fuse and starting a couple of times. If that doesn't help and you're sure you have spark keep messing with the dizzy.
Bladergang240

Post by Bladergang240 »

so i was messing with the timing but no luck, i checked the compression because i was told it sounds like it wasnt gaining compression but its fine lowish (because rings havnt seated i presume) but fine
Gotenks64
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Gotenks64 »

Make sure you are keeping an eye on that oil.... if you are flooding it you'll wash the cylinder walls. I would change it!!
Built Head w/ BC stage two 264/264 Cams
Cosmetic Head Gasket
.020 Over Bore with Wiseco 9:1
Eagle Rods
Fully balanced rotating assembly
Stock flywheel
Spec Stage 3+ Clutch
ARP'ed Everything
Clevite Bearings
SARD 850cc Injectors
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

Bladergang240 wrote:so i was messing with the timing but no luck, i checked the compression because i was told it sounds like it wasnt gaining compression but its fine lowish (because rings havnt seated i presume) but fine
Okay, so give us a little history. Was this a perfect running KA-T before this engine or is this a brand new build? You say you have Fuel and fire. If so then there is only one thing left, timing. Air, Fuel , & timing is all it takes so one of them are off. How are you verifying you stabbed the distributor correctly? You said you checked compression, what were your numbers?

Here is a helpful hint, pull your valve cover off, rotate motor over to TDC with the front cam lobes pointing outward. Pull the dizzy and restab it. Once the dizzy is fully seated you need to look through the top of the timing cover and confirm the dot on the dizzy timing gear lines up with the hash mark on the dizzy aluminum housing. These two need to line up perfectly. If you know you have fuel and fire and it still doesn't start then its very possible you mechanical timing is off.
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
http://www.enginerebuild.net
"Anyone can make power but how long can you make it last?"
Bladergang240

Post by Bladergang240 »

i forgot to check back in on this but it turns out my cam timing was off a tooth off.. now it turns on fine just seems like its flooding on start up got to pull the pump fuse for it to start, after it runs perfect (havent gotten to drive it yet :( )though just to get it to crank on but could this be because i dont have my downpipe/wideband in yet or would that be another issue
thanks
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

Change your plugs. What engine management are you running?
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
Bladergang240

Post by Bladergang240 »

BUMP
ok iv been trying to search for a this problem but im just going to ask maybe someone can help me out my car cranks and idles smooth as **** the only problem i have is i test drove it and it runs super rich (like 7.9) and i havent driven it really after this fresh build just for the fact how rich its running when i did test drive it it wants to die when i let of the gas back to idle im running out of ideas i just ordered a longer intake pipe thinking maybe my maf is reading incorrectly for being too close to the turbo does anyone have any ideas really want to drive this think after building this damn thing for so long lol
thanks
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

duncan351 wrote:What engine management are you running?
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.
Bladergang240

Post by Bladergang240 »

Rs enthalpy
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

Your maf needs to be at least 11 inches away from the inlet of the turbo
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
Bladergang240

Post by Bladergang240 »

ok yeah i ordered 1' long piping im hoping it fixes the problem you think it could be anything else or is that deff a huge problem
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

Its the reason the car is running so rich. You need to change plugs and oil. I wouldn't drive that car until you get that fixed. Once the maf is in its proper place your AFRs will at an acceptable rate.
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766
Bladergang240

Post by Bladergang240 »

i havent driven it since i built it only up 1 block and on a trailer for a down pipe to be made
UPDATE
so after all this i got longer intake piping and a oem z32 maf and got it retuned a tad leaner thinking that was the problem and its still running richer than steve jobs (7.7afr) anyone have any ideas of something i could be missing already checked vaccuum, boost leak, checked fuel leaks, coolant temp sensor and idk what else to look for please help im dieing to drive this and cant find out what this damn problem is
duncan351
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by duncan351 »

What's your maf voltage at idle at the maf and at the computer. Also how many wires do you have grounded on the connector
843whp @ 40psi
761/596 Tq 33psi 6766