Never ends

Dream about your 240's turbo power in this forum.
R34SR
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Never ends

Post by R34SR »

So finally, after many years ..unemployment has given me an opportunity to focus on the car....I've gotten a **** ton of work done and I'm finally getting to a point where I'm happy with the way she is performing....so much so that after 10 yrs I told my dad let's go for a ride today...I'm still tuning on low boost and low timing...15 psi. Rich and retarded at the moment...made 350whp.accordong to virtual dyno.
Anyways I'm ripping a few gears and my dad is very happy with the work I've done...I got to 3rd gear and suddenly it sounds like there's shrapnel in my transmission....the motor is fine and happy but something definitely grenaded in the bellhousing/tranny....towed it home... A few days back I noticed.some odd noise coming from the throw out bearing when ever I would clutch in....didn't think much of it...but I have a feeling the TOB failed and is partially bouncing around in the bellhousing....that's my guess...updates to come.....gonna take my twin turbo Kia stinger for a drive and revel in modern reliable power.... ***** old cars...
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
EAGLE-ARP-SUPERTECH 9:1 KA24DE
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
Full Race twin scroll manifold
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Re: Never ends

Post by NukeKS14 »

Sorry to hear that man. I JUST pulled my transmission about a month ago from a failed pilot bushing with less than 15k miles on it. I've NEVER had a pilot bushing go bad before in over 25 years of driving! It's all part of the game. It does get old, though.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nis ... aring,1968

SKF on the bearing and bushing and never worry about it again. I hope that's what it ends up being
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Thanks, I was looking for a good bushing and bearing since I'm gonna change it out regardless....so long as my tranny is ok...I'd be happy...cause I realize now that ka/sr20 tranny's aren't selling for $250 any more....I'll tackle the job hopefully in a day or 2 and I'll post an update on the carnage.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

TinyT wrote:for the love of god, post your setup, do you really think you can get an answer after saying HI ME CAR HAS TURBO NOW BUT I CANT BWAAA PSHH WITH IT WHATS WRONG
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Well the trans is shot....the flywheel, clutch and throw out bearing seems fine....I believe the noise I was initially hearing a few weeks back could have been countershaft bearing. Probably didn't help but I think it was unrelated to my failure. Hard 2nd to 3rd shift with the power and wide rear wheels was the nail in the coffin.

So what y'all recommend? I'm thinking z32 box with mazworx adapter might be my best bet since I read here that all the cd009 swaps have input shaft issues.
Attachments
IMG_20200812_194933.jpg
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Yowza! Thats no good, sorry dude... that sucks.

You could try to find an RB25 trans but they're not the cheapest. Minor work drilling out the top 2 holes and making a driveshaft. Same internals as a z32 trans.

Mazworks z32 adapter kit would suit you well. Complete package there.

The issue you're talking about with input shaft spline engagement
w the cd series is with some of the cheaper kits and improperly machined bellhousing. I have some links at home that delve into it ill try to post up later. You'd want an earlier model from a DE not an HR for the external slave cylinder IMO. Not all swap kits for this are created equal and you will require machine work on the bellhousing.

Ultimately here it's up to what your budget is and what your requirements are for the car. I, for one, won't get something that requires me to bang out the tunnel or cut huge holes for shifter relocation so I've sourced a spare KA tranny if i need it and keeping my eyes peeled for an RB25 trans.

*edit* misspoke a little on the RB trans swap. I'll just link you to thread w/ pics. It's 3 of the top bolts that are a bit off but it is QUITE do-able IMO, accounting for the fact shifter location is about 3" further toward the front of the car. */edit*

viewtopic.php?t=26084&start=20
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Well I took alot into account before making my decision...I was a dumbass a few years back....found a pristine rb25 trans for $450....bought it to keep for a rainy day..then my cousin in South America asked if he could buy it because he needed one for a build..I gave it to him for cost.....now that I need one, i can't find any for a near that price.
I liked the idea of a newer cd009 and it's compatibility with both ka24 and rb25. But in the end the tranny cost itself can be off putting. Long story short...the mazworx kit is tried and true and I sourced a z32 box for $200....$375 shipped to my door. I pulled the trigger this morning...hopefully a minimal amount of timing for the shifter to fit. I'm right at $1500 and assuming my white bunny clutch can remain , I'd say it's not a bad way to go...and z32 boxes seem fairly easy to come by if this one ever gives an issue.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

NukeKS14
240sx Wannabe

Post by NukeKS14 »

Keep us posted! I might have to expand my search critera to include Z32 transmissions depending on this pans out. That's a steal on one, did you get it locally @ a pick n' pull?
R34SR

Post by R34SR »

I used car-part.com
Found it at a junk yard in Georgia... Just hope it's in good condition. Will keep ya posted.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25

R34SR

Post by R34SR »

Forgot to update this thread, tranny turned out to be mint condition...works awesome so far.
MEGASQUIRT 2 PNP
AEM IGN1A COILS
BW S257 SX-E .78AR
ID1050x Injectors
ISIS FMIC
Mazworx z32 tranny swap
CTS V CALIPERS
STANCE LX+ Coilovers
J30 LSD
AME FS01 WHEELS 18X9 +25