Motor angle question

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
Dank240
NooB

Motor angle question

Post by Dank240 »

Hello fellow ka enthusiests.
I come with a somewhat basic question for which i know not the consequence.

So as we all know the ka24de sits a bit cocked to the right in iur 240s. Now i have installed a bung as oer ALOT of what i see is done on the interweb. Which after installing had me question it and now ive confirmed my fears.
The bung being welded to the exhaust side of the pan on a 90* angle to the pan immediately makes the drain back grade. And its not like its vented so she just glugs down at a fairly insufficient rate.

Ive proven this by installing a clear drain tube and monitoring it.

So aside from relocating the drain bung do the back half of the pan ad i will do in the future. I am curious if i were to shim the motor a little more square by about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. What can i potentially be f#%k!ng up? I am just a lonely plumber in this automotive game we play and am learning all the time. So please enlighten me!
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Re: Motor angle question

Post by Walperstyle »

Larger drain line or smoother corner should fix it. I wouldn't rotate the engine too much seeing as they are designed that way (assuming for oil circulation)
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

You will make subtle changes to the following in a negative way:
driveshaft alignment/angle -> vibration and wear
Weight distribution -> more load to the passenger side and higher center of gravity

I wouldn't say the drain is bad because it is 90° to the pan. I'm pretty sure my first pan was that way and never had a problem. Run it and worry about the angle if the turbo smokes.

Worst case take the pan off and fix it. **** happens.
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
tuzzio
240sx Wannabe

Post by tuzzio »

Your drain shouldn't have anything more than a 45* angle on your return line anyways according to most manufactures. I'd start there.
flip240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by flip240 »

Walperstyle wrote:Larger drain line or smoother corner should fix it. I wouldn't rotate the engine too much seeing as they are designed that way (assuming for oil circulation)
I agree with this. What size drain line are you using and how high is your turbo mounted (top mount/bottom mount)? I honestly think most peoples' bungs are welded at a 90* angle anyway, but a 45* or 90* coming off the bung with a 1/2" or -10AN shouldn't be a problem. Also if you're using a BB turbo, those require significantly less oil.
- Phil - Concord Gray S14 - 339 rwhp, 340 ft-tq @ 12psi
Daily driven turbocharged KA24 for 10 years and counting. 2004-2014
My setup: KA24DE-T