Oil Pump Good? Bad? Dunno?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
spikevyxel
240sx Wannabe

Oil Pump Good? Bad? Dunno?

Post by spikevyxel »

95'

Long story short... came home one day after driving. Took a shower. Not more than 45 min later, i walk to the garage to start the car, car starts flawless, except the oil dummy light turns on... then the head starts clacking. i shut off the car immediatly. Take of the valve cover, start the car again, and theres no oil at all squirting out at the cams. I pull the plug wires, throw some assembly lube on the lobes and see if any oil comes out of the Oil feed line.... Nada.

I changed the oil (3 and 1/2 quarts), new oil filter... crank over still nada. So at this point i'm thinking its my oil pump.

I finally get around to getting that bastard front cover off to take a look at the oil pump.

Having never seen an oil pump from a KA or any block for that matter i have no idea whats its supposed to look like... but my uneducated guess would say that it looks fine. The Pick up also had no crud in it.

We also hooked up a air compressor to the oil duct in the block to see if any oil came out, and the only place oil came out (that we could see) was the oil feed line.

What else could it be other than the oil pump? Why the hell would it all of the sudden stop working?

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

T3/T4 50 Trim .63 A/R
JGS mani
Top Speed 3" exhuast
Resonated test pipe
3" Downpipe
480cc Injectors
HKS SSQV
NGK AFX Wideband 02
Underdrive crank pulley
SAFCII running 11.2-11.4 to 1 AF's
Draginzuzu
240sx Wannabe

Post by Draginzuzu »

Check the pressure regulator. You can open it up and check to see if the valve is free and not blocked up or jammed in there.
Its the brass colored nut on the bottom of the pic to the right. Remove that bolt and the spring and valve are in that tube.
spikevyxel
240sx Wannabe

Post by spikevyxel »

Thanks for the reply.

I think that it might have been the pressure regulator even though it seems pretty clean. After careful inspection of the rotating assembly i notice some pretty significant scratch marks on it and i figure, while i have the front cover off, i might as well replace the oil pump. Such a significant part of an engine isnt something i want to leave to chance.

I'm still kinda confused as to why just 4 days after i turbo, it all of the sudden eats crap.... but i dunno.

thanks for your help,

~Spike~

T3/T4 50 Trim .63 A/R
JGS mani
Top Speed 3" exhuast
Resonated test pipe
3" Downpipe
480cc Injectors
HKS SSQV
NGK AFX Wideband 02
Underdrive crank pulley
SAFCII running 11.2-11.4 to 1 AF's
AK-Z
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by AK-Z »

Heres a though. Have you checked the oil filter (that would of been the last place I would of checked also :p)
spikevyxel
240sx Wannabe

Post by spikevyxel »

Thats one of the first things i did.

T3/T4 50 Trim .63 A/R
JGS mani
Top Speed 3" exhuast
Resonated test pipe
3" Downpipe
480cc Injectors
HKS SSQV
NGK AFX Wideband 02