i guess this is spark blowout..

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
wildbama37
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

i guess this is spark blowout..

Post by wildbama37 »

yeah so i got my car running really well except for the car just falls flat on it's face when i hit like 10-12psi on my gt35r. keep in mind that im still on the stock s14 ignition with distributor and all..NO ignition mods are wired into the AEM EMS yet. yeah i dialed in the ignition sync in the aem ems and got the car running great on my map that was already tuned for my car down in atlanta last year. took it out tonight with my plugs around .030" and it boosts fine and dandy until i hit like 10-12psi then it falls flat on its face hardcore. it just loses everything.. i'm guessing that the ignition just cant handle the power or somethin..i dunno..im guessin spark blowout? there are no boost leaks at all and everything is runnin great with the car..just falls on its face around 10-12psi every single time i try to punch it to 10psi. the crazy thing is that last year when i tuned, i was able to make 23.5psi on the stock ignition which was around 471rwhp. could things just be different this go around with my ignition even though i have the same exact aem tune loaded? i mean it's not a big deal to me because ive got the twin fire ready to plug right into the AEM, just wanna make sure you guys think that im definetely experiencing spark blowout before i throw on my new COP ignition.
98 240sx
06 Lamborghini Gallardo
02 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
99 Infiniti QX-4
07 Suzuki gsxr-600

SM240
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by SM240 »

Do some logs, I bet the arm is pulling timing hardcore, I know the feeling. Drop the gap to9 .28-.26 and see if that helps, Id atleast have the gap near .27 for that psi. I loggged some runs I had on my last motor (a week ago) and aem was pulling timing to like-5*. I also think I was running out of fuel :shock: Anyways see if that helps and log some runs and see where timing is at
wildbama37

Post by wildbama37 »

i havent ever done logging before..where do i go to to do that? thanks in advance!
98 240sx
06 Lamborghini Gallardo
99 Infiniti QX-4
07 Suzuki gsxr-600

wildbama37

Post by wildbama37 »

SM240 wrote:Do some logs, I bet the arm is pulling timing hardcore, I know the feeling. Drop the gap to9 .28-.26 and see if that helps, Id atleast have the gap near .27 for that psi. I loggged some runs I had on my last motor (a week ago) and aem was pulling timing to like-5*. I also think I was running out of fuel :shock: Anyways see if that helps and log some runs and see where timing is at
oh yea, u said that u think my aem is pulling timing hardore...im running a tuned map for my car that i got tuned by doug at TopSpeed in atlanta last august. the car ran fine last august on this same exact map even at 23.5psi. i didnt screw with any of the settings at all.
98 240sx
06 Lamborghini Gallardo
99 Infiniti QX-4
07 Suzuki gsxr-600

klattr1
Forum Moderator

Re: i guess this is spark blowout..

Post by klattr1 »

wildbama37 wrote:the crazy thing is that last year when i tuned, i was able to make 23.5psi on the stock ignition which was around 471rwhp.
I'm sure the 471whp dyno wasn't done with .030" plug gap...some high-hp KA-T'ers go down to .018" - .022" for runs like that on stock distributor.

just gap it down like mentioned above and see if the problem goes away...takes 10 min. :)