aem twin fire installed and not starting

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
wildbama37
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

aem twin fire installed and not starting

Post by wildbama37 »

so yea i wired the twin fire up, set the settings for the ignition just like BRAD suggested in his CBR coil thread and the car doesnt start up. i even checked the coils to see if they were getting 12v at Key-ON and they arent getting 12V. are they supposed to get 12v at key on? im pretty sure they are and im not getting that.
98 240sx
06 Lamborghini Gallardo
02 Mitsubishi Montero Sport
99 Infiniti QX-4
07 Suzuki gsxr-600

BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

are you getting spark at all?
wildbama37

Post by wildbama37 »

BRAD D wrote:are you getting spark at all?
i havent checked for spark yet. i know that sounds dumb of me not to check for that, but im leaving in a few minutes to go out for the evening and dont have time to fool with it anymore tonight. I wired it up correctly im pretty sure. i did it just as you suggested in your CBR coil thread plus i followed the AEM TwinFire directions to make sure that u were telling us the right wires and such. Soooo...i dont see why it would not be getting spark. Are they supposed to at least have 12v at key-on?

the twin fire red led light is coming on at key-on and the aem ems settings are just like yours..
98 240sx
06 Lamborghini Gallardo
99 Infiniti QX-4
07 Suzuki gsxr-600

BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

Well mine did not fire at 1st as well... it was firing at the wrong time..at the bottom of the stroke... check for spark and do the timing sync thing. i had to cut one of my old plug wires and stuff the cut end in to the coil, other end on the plug then i used the timing light on that wire...

the only thing i did wrong the 1st time was i had the + and - mixed up on the coils. (easy to swap back, just remove the yellow clim in the plug... then use a pin to lift the tab, then pull the wire out the back) And im pretty sure my wiring is right in the CBR post.
wildbama37

Post by wildbama37 »

BRAD D wrote:Well mine did not fire at 1st as well... it was firing at the wrong time..at the bottom of the stroke... check for spark and do the timing sync thing. i had to cut one of my old plug wires and stuff the cut end in to the coil, other end on the plug then i used the timing light on that wire...

the only thing i did wrong the 1st time was i had the + and - mixed up on the coils. (easy to swap back, just remove the yellow clim in the plug... then use a pin to lift the tab, then pull the wire out the back) And im pretty sure my wiring is right in the CBR post.
ok so if i followed your post exactly for the wiring should i be ok on the wiring part of it? man i double and triple checked it
98 240sx
06 Lamborghini Gallardo
99 Infiniti QX-4
07 Suzuki gsxr-600

BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

wildbama37 wrote:
BRAD D wrote:Well mine did not fire at 1st as well... it was firing at the wrong time..at the bottom of the stroke... check for spark and do the timing sync thing. i had to cut one of my old plug wires and stuff the cut end in to the coil, other end on the plug then i used the timing light on that wire...

ok so if i followed your post exactly for the wiring should i be ok on the wiring part of it? man i double and triple checked it
it should be right....
got the + like in this photo (the little plug drawing)

smracing

Post by smracing »

Don't probe the coil wires. You will fry your meter. The coils get 540v, not 12v. Perform the check procedure in the aem instructions.
wildbama37

Post by wildbama37 »

BRAD D wrote:
wildbama37 wrote:

it should be right....
got the + like in this photo (the little plug drawing)

well does my wiring have to be EXACTLY like that drawing? i dont have the yellow and violet wires going to Ground like pictured. i have them going to the coil trigger wires off the ecu. is that right??
98 240sx
06 Lamborghini Gallardo
99 Infiniti QX-4
07 Suzuki gsxr-600

BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

No this is for waste spark, i just wanted to show you the small hand drawn clip in that pic.

do wire for wire like i had in my post.. just make sure the + and - is right on the coil end.

Check for spark yet?
wildbama37

Post by wildbama37 »

BRAD D wrote:No this is for waste spark, i just wanted to show you the small hand drawn clip in that pic.

do wire for wire like i had in my post.. just make sure the + and - is right on the coil end.

Check for spark yet?
just got off work a little while ago and havent had a chance to mess with it today. yep, i did the wiring exactly as you said to do it in ur thread.. i dont see how i could have gotten any wires mixed up on the coil side of the wiring..
98 240sx
06 Lamborghini Gallardo
99 Infiniti QX-4
07 Suzuki gsxr-600

BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

Just check the coil wires to make sure im right on my CBR post. I had them mixed up at 1st but I think I fixed it.
wildbama37

Post by wildbama37 »

ok i have some free time now and when i compared the little plug connector drawing to my actual plug connector, what you have labeled as the negative is a BLACK wire on each connector..is that correct? the other wire is a colored wire on each plug. do they need to be swapped around to make the black be on the positive side?
98 240sx
06 Lamborghini Gallardo
99 Infiniti QX-4
07 Suzuki gsxr-600