Build Motor TICKING!

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
hondas_suck
240sx Wannabe

Build Motor TICKING!

Post by hondas_suck »

So, im 350 or so miles into to my break-in period, and ive got an HRT longblock, eagle rods/wiseco pistons. All of a sudden, as im driving out to my familys house, the f****** check engine light comes on. I pull over, check all the fluids, theyre all fine, and let the engine idle... It sounds like a ticking from the top end of the motor. So, does anyone know if they use OEM timing chains or what? Im really confused, because this happened to my last KA's as well, and hearing that sound in a brand new engine is simply painful. Also, how would i be able to tell if the top end is getting oil? Could this be a possibility?

Bryan
"You mean we can never catch up to him? Not even if we rub the engine with cheetah blood?"

5 Lug Swap
5 Speed Conversion
Z32 Brake Conversion
HRT Built KA
8-bit
SuperMod

Post by 8-bit »

wow.. have a respectable mechanic look it over and tell you what he thinks, then tell HRT what the mechanic said.

If it is anything to do with HRT's build, they should work with you on them taking care of it.
http://www.areasoundmusic.com

*Nistune/Calum ECU tuning advisor

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WARNING: Emance is now using an alias as ECUTUNERGUY and REFLASHPROS. Spread the word.
boker240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by boker240 »

nissans tick and tap ,just hope u dont get piston slap.but yea, thats gives a bad taste in the mouth :x .
arias 8.8.1,615 tomie inj.,clevite bearings,arp 10mm hs,z32 maf,jwt ecu,intake butterflies removed,all emissions removed,cx rad. dif dual fan controller,altima dual fans,fidanza fw,stage 3 clutch,solid d shaft,j30 rearend,energy suspension bushings,kyb struts,155 lbs weight reduction.
currently n/a.

He'll probably blow the motor, and then join the army of retards who hate on KA's for no good reason.
hondas_suck
240sx Wannabe

Post by hondas_suck »

The thing is, ive been without my car for almost 2 months, and i jsut got it back. So now that this is goin on, im very sad. I just dont want to blow another HG, or throw another bearing (killed 2 stock KA's under normal driving). This just sucks man.
"You mean we can never catch up to him? Not even if we rub the engine with cheetah blood?"

5 Lug Swap
5 Speed Conversion
Z32 Brake Conversion
HRT Built KA
chubbza5
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by chubbza5 »

i've heard you can take your valve cover off and crank the car to see if oil will come out, could be different though.

even an oem timing chain shouldn't rattle after 300 miles, maybe if they didn't replace it when they built the block the guides could be ticking, i don't know how you could throw a cel though.

maybe your head didn't get oil for a second or something and f*cked up the afr and fried a o2 sensor or something
hondas_suck
240sx Wannabe

Post by hondas_suck »

I hope youre right, it almost feels like its running in a dafe mose or something. or maybe im just paranoid...

5 Lug Swap
5 Speed Conversion
Z32 Brake Conversion
HRT Built KA
boker240

Post by boker240 »

take valve cover off and check valve clearence,or have hrt do it.
arias 8.8.1,615 tomie inj.,clevite bearings,arp 10mm hs,z32 maf,jwt ecu,intake butterflies removed,all emissions removed,cx rad. dif dual fan controller,altima dual fans,fidanza fw,stage 3 clutch,solid d shaft,j30 rearend,energy suspension bushings,kyb struts,155 lbs weight reduction.
currently n/a.

He'll probably blow the motor, and then join the army of retards who hate on KA's for no good reason.
Trippen

Post by Trippen »

May want to drain the oil and look for metal shavings.You might have some blockage and some clean oil will help it out. Take pictures of anything weird you see while doing this HRT is a good company from what I have read as long as you havent done anything bad to it they will be good to you.
Trippen-
-Boost is like a bad habit the more you do it the more you want it.-

89 240sx se Hatch-NA RS*R race springs w/AGX's
92 240sx se Convertible-(Wifes Car) NA , Tanabe Coilovers..
95 240sx se KA-T Borded .20 over JWT ECU, Z32 MAF, Arias Pistons, Eagle Rods, 50 trim T3/T4 turbo, 50lb MSD, J30 LSD, Custom Drive shaft,D21 flywheel,PLX-R500 and TurboXS Knock lite. 275.5 tq 246hp @14psi
emo_tactical9

Post by emo_tactical9 »

What kind of ticking? The first thing that came to mind when i read this was valve noise. Normal valve noise.
Perhaps your just paraniod because it's brand new. I probably would be.
Just call me Adam.
95 240: DIYPNP and T28.
08 Honda Fit
84 200sx: Sold after almost 10 years.
My file hosting:Calum,MegaSquirt,FSM
hondas_suck
240sx Wannabe

Post by hondas_suck »

Paraniod about a new engine, yes. But this ticking is loud enough to give me a check engine light, because i think its setting off the knock sensor. So, im gonna have a very trusted mechanic look at it, and Joel at HRT is awesome. I got on the phone with him and he assured me that everything would be taken care of.

5 Lug Swap
5 Speed Conversion
Z32 Brake Conversion
HRT Built KA
240racr
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by 240racr »

If it is a slow ticking it could be a broken wrist pin. That happened to me. What are you using for engine management?
Supertech pistons (10.5:1), eagle rods,
cometic headgasket
Precision T3/T4
mild p&p, pdm tri-flow turbo cams, custom exhaust, ETS mani and dump
Fully balanced rotating assembly, ACT clutch
AMS Fuel Kit (65lb injectors), meth/water injection, ebay fmic,
elec fans, z32 brakes, AEM EMS
360WHP
dopeassjackson

Post by dopeassjackson »

probaly a soft lifter, my car has got one as well whats your oil pres at idol?
rebuilt KA24E, port and polish, secondaries removed, stage3 clutch, fidanza flywheel, JGS MM, 3inch cat back with high flow cat, cherry bomb vortex muffler, B&M short shifter,ST sways,nismo brase
KA24ET RB20 turbo, 460cc
Trippen

Post by Trippen »

As for the check engine light being set off by the knock sensor. Mine did that right before I threw a rod. The knock sensor when i tore it down was loose. This could be the check engine light. A bear to get to to tighten it up but still should check that. May be the ticking is from the Timing retarding 4deg when its really running fine. Just a shot in the dark.
Trippen-
-Boost is like a bad habit the more you do it the more you want it.-

89 240sx se Hatch-NA RS*R race springs w/AGX's
92 240sx se Convertible-(Wifes Car) NA , Tanabe Coilovers..
95 240sx se KA-T Borded .20 over JWT ECU, Z32 MAF, Arias Pistons, Eagle Rods, 50 trim T3/T4 turbo, 50lb MSD, J30 LSD, Custom Drive shaft,D21 flywheel,PLX-R500 and TurboXS Knock lite. 275.5 tq 246hp @14psi