How to *properly* run AN fittings with stock fuel lines

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

You can also use Earl's part number 165056ERL, it converts 5/16" hardline to -6an.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-165056erl
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Nice find Chris. Use a legit tube cutter and there will be no flaring necessary, right?
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
kacam24det
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by kacam24det »

sweet write up found the solution i needed was gunna run braided line all the way back to the tank not anymore
Cam
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

airman wrote:Nice find Chris. Use a legit tube cutter and there will be no flaring necessary, right?
Correct. There's a small piece inside the two halves that essentially flares and seals the stock line as you tighten it. I just noticed these are only rated up to 50psi though, not sure how much a regular 37° flare fitting is rated to but you might run into issues if you run over 4 bar fuel pressure.
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

Hmm 50psi rating would be pushing it - especially if you're boosting 20+ psi.

Regular flare fittings are the same fittings used in hydraulics - aka 3000+ psi lol. Of course at that point the hose limits that.

Hmm, also the 50 psi rating might be a safety factor of 2 or more. Might still be okay but I would want to verify with the manufacturer. There could be a similar option by another vendor that can handle the pressure comfortably.
R.I.P. 1990 Red Hatch - DOHC 5 speed // CP 9:1 - Eagle Rods - Clevite - ARP // Holset HX35 - 20psi daily - MSPNP2
8-bit wrote:You could spend your life building a ladder to the moon, or work for 5 years to pay for a trip.
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Yeah, I'm sure there's a factor of safety in the 50 psi limit, I wonder what it is. If I get bored I might give Earl's a call and see why the rating is so low and if it's ok to be over 50psi as long as it's not continuous.
Jmoore124
240sx Wannabe

Post by Jmoore124 »

That is a compression style fitting. The exact fitting the OP suggested against using in his post. You can go that route, but I would never trust a compression fitting to my main fuel line feed.
Chris28
240sx Wannabe

Post by Chris28 »

Yeah, after reading about compression fittings I'm going to return them to Summit and go with the flare fittings.
wtfarpus
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Re: How to *properly* run AN fittings with stock fuel lines

Post by wtfarpus »

awesome write up man thanks alot.
wtfarpus

Post by wtfarpus »

thanks alot, was actually going to do this, great write up.
Rb26kouki

Post by Rb26kouki »

Great write up very helpful
ZERTARACING
Learners Permit

Post by ZERTARACING »

Will Be doing this when I go KA-T thats for sure. Nice write-up.
Building my S-chassis in my garage, piece by piece.
JoeDirte
Learners Permit

Post by JoeDirte »

This makes chase bays kit look sad...
airman
KA-T.org OWNER

Post by airman »

The more I read about the compression/slip on fittings, the more I'm scared of them!

The last thing you want is atomized fuel spraying out in a hot engine bay from a high pressure leak. No thanks. I'll do it the right way and use flared tubing with the tube nut. No way I'm risking my engine bay at just the minimum to save some effort up front!