Leaky Headgasket question

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
holiday
NooB

Leaky Headgasket question

Post by holiday »

So i have a s14 ka24de. My problem is that pressure is building up in my cooling system. Ive searched around and Im thinking that i have a leaky headgasket. My compression numbers are #1. 180 #2. 170 #3. 155 #4. 170. I did a leak down test on the #3. cylinder and i got bubbles in my radiator. My car has never overheated but ive heard that the stock temp gauge is pretty much crap. I have no oil in my coolant and no coolant in my oil. My heat works. At first i thought the coolant system needed to be bled but im losing coolant.

My question is Does this sound like a leaky HG? Or worse a cracked head? If its a leaky HG what are the chances my head is warped?
s13grady
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by s13grady »

stock headgasket or cometic? high mileage engine or rebuilt motor? sounds like a warped head if its an original untouched ka(which would be from an overheat) or a possible decking imperfection that will allow the combustion leak, hence bubbles in the rad and coolant loss with no sign of coolant and oil mixing. any coolant burning from the exhaust?
92 s13 ka24det sc61 project.
street trim sleeper
doctordave
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by doctordave »

does your exhaust smell like sweet candy? or smoke a little white? if so... HG or head problems.
DOCTOR DAVE
holiday
NooB

Post by holiday »

Stock headgasket. about 170k. Doesnt smell that sweet but im currently running distilled water.

Im pretty sure its a bad HG or head problem. I just wasnt sure if it sounded like a def leaky hg problem or if it sounds like a cracked head. I have another head i can swap on but if this one just needed to be decked i would just have that dont bc some of the cam caps on my other head have a little scoring.
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Walperstyle »

borrow someones coolant (non water) swap out the water, see if you can smell it better

I'd also do a compression check just for fun
sicks13
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by sicks13 »

The auto-parts store sells kits that test for carbon monoxide, you usually use them to verify. you already know that a leak down test bubbles the coolant, so just verify with the carbon monoxide test.