KA Transmission limit

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
mo_hish
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

KA Transmission limit

Post by mo_hish »

I know there's no definitive answer to this question, but I'm wondering how much abuse the KA transmission can take. I've read of some people making upwards of 500 hp with the stock transmission, but looking through this site I can't really find too much info on it.

I ask because I'm looking to make about 450 pretty soon, and I'd like to know if I should plan on doing the z32 tranny swap.

I'm also looking for info on how high damaging 2-step with antilag is, as well as 3-step. I'll be getting these this weekend along with my tune... I know 3-step is hard on parts which is why I want to know the capabilities of the ka trans.
mo_hish

Post by mo_hish »

Also this is not a drift car, I know drift car transmission take some serious abuse. This is my daily driver, but will see plenty "spirited" driving, and more then enough drag racing.
itwillboost
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by itwillboost »

What are you making ? What are you shifting at, because all that will make a difference but other than 3rd gear I wouldn't worry to greatly. You can cryno-peen it if you need or swap in a gti-r's 3rd gear.
mo_hish

Post by mo_hish »

viewtopic.php?p=9808&sid=1025c6034acabb ... 170559f6d9

According to that 3rd gear and possibly the input shafts are the weakpoint, but it doesnt say at what power level they give. More about slipping the clutch and whatnot. I'd like to know given a proper launch, how much power is it good for.

I know that 3-step is really hard on parts... has that ever caused any problems for anyone with the stock tranny?
R33E8
240sx Wannabe

Post by R33E8 »

Here is some more info..

viewtopic.php?t=39648

wait up for me... :lol:
smracing

Post by smracing »

A good clutch and sticky tires will kill a stock trans at the drag strip. Does not matter how much power you make. I've twisted off several output shafts with 200whp.
ghostchild316
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by ghostchild316 »

Yup doesn't take awhole lot. I snapped the output shaft at the strip with cracked ringlands in one of the cylinders!

I will say this tho, late s13 and s14 transmissions that have the extra webbing cast on the casing have slightly thicker output shafts...
Dead account. Send pm's to "Alonso" from now on...
TinyT
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TinyT »

a line lock is gonna help by setting the drivetrain into motion, but thats only good if you can keep the shafts intact through the gears though
mo_hish

Post by mo_hish »

R33E8 wrote:Here is some more info..

viewtopic.php?t=39648

wait up for me... :lol:
lol I'm pretty sure you're a bit passed me at this point. Did you end up doing the z32 tranny swap?
Kfred
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Kfred »

smracing wrote:A good clutch and sticky tires will kill a stock trans at the drag strip. Does not matter how much power you make. I've twisted off several output shafts with 200whp.
I have **** nitto drag radials and I twisted the output shaft of an s14 transmission on a 1-2 shift at the track. Sad thing is my car was only making 330ish whp.

I'm on my 3rd or 4th transmission. If you shock it something is going to give.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
Matt C
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by Matt C »

yep sad to say it but i just killed 2nd gear in my transmission. 14psi on a t3 super 60. 245mm wide tires and a white bunny clutch setup. I've pushed the transmission pretty hard, as in autox and hpde event. pulled out the other day and shifted around 6.5k in first, hit 2nd and unleashed the crying gerbils in my transmission.
Fam0uZ
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Fam0uZ »

540 my last tranny lasted 8months but i only do 60 rolls...lol
450whp @15lbs
Dubs
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Dubs »

Is the s14 ka tranny and stronger then the s13? I know my transmission is going to die very soon.
Fam0uZ
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by Fam0uZ »

i have a s13 tranny..but i think theres no difference in how much power one can hold over the other one
450whp @15lbs
s-14

Post by s-14 »

REALLY?!

I'm running 265's in the rear I was gonna go out and drag next weekend :x With those tires :(

Maybe I'll just do a little baby creep off the line lol