Best way to secure a turbo onto a manifold?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Best way to secure a turbo onto a manifold?

Post by Kamilitaryman »

Just like title says:

What's the best way to secure a turbo onto a manifold?

Studs with a locknut or bolts?

Any links to some good ones? I've read somehwere that ARP made some but I can't remember where...
PM me if you're interested in getting something powder coated!
91white_ka
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by 91white_ka »

One of my friends on here (turbonola) was having problems with nuts backing off. Last I heard he was using a fastenal product, some kind of vibration fighting lock nuts, lol. Maybe he'll be so kind to chime in. Or you could PM him.
TryingToTurbo
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by TryingToTurbo »

If you buy the same kind of nut used to hold your header onto your head, those will do the charm. I don't remember the technical term but the end of the nut is "pinched" to create resistance once tightened so they wont back off. Those work great.
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

I use a tapped flange on my manifold and use a socket head cap screw for bolts. The smaller bolt head bites into the turbine housing when you torque it down and locks in better than a larger hex head and washer. Nuts/bolts or even nuts/studs tend to back off more from my experience.

Also, having a well supported downpipe helps, as soon as you bottom out your cat or downpipe flange you twist the turbo on the manifold and this will loosen off your fasteners.
WWW.GLADFAB.COM SOHC Turbo Manifolds
basic
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by basic »

TryingToTurbo wrote:If you buy the same kind of nut used to hold your header onto your head, those will do the charm. I don't remember the technical term but the end of the nut is "pinched" to create resistance once tightened so they wont back off. Those work great.
I believe what you are talking about is an all metal lock nut. They deform the threads to provide an added amount of prevailing torque required to rotate the nut.

Lock nuts generally come in two types, the all metal style, and the elastic style (also known as nyloc) - on high heat applications (over 250 F) the use of nyloc nuts is not recommended, as the nylon locking materal will soften and/or melt, causing loss of locking effect.

One note - generally speaking, and for the cost of a nut, it is always better to replace rather than reuse locking nuts. exceptions can be made for non-critical componets, and it's generally accepted that nyloc nuts are retain more of their locking power than all metal lock nuts as the nylon is elastic and deforms around the nut, where as all metal will either remove materal through galling or yeild the nut, both of which result in loss of locking force.
'87 200SX Hatch - complete with KA24DE swap.
'91 240SX hatch complete with super rare sunroof insert and bag.
chubbza5 wrote:Well hey, truck engine + truck turbo, why not!
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

So as long as it's high heat stuff, any combination should work as long as I don't bang up my exhaust too much. I think I'll go with the stud/locknut combo.

My manifold is finally coming in next week. At 1st they told me it would be 2 weeks, then it turned into 3 weeks and now it's coming in 4.5 weeks.

Anyways, thanks for chiming in on this fellas. I just want to make sure I do things right the 1st time :)

PS whats the recommended amount of ft-lbs of torque to bolt it all down?
Unbound Yuurei

Post by Unbound Yuurei »

why can't we use the same bolts from the ones that connect from the stock exhaust manifold onto the downpipe? they have grooves on them soo when they heat up, they expand and hold better.
TryingToTurbo

Post by TryingToTurbo »

As stated above, it is DEFINATELY a good idea to get a flexpipe in your downpipe. This will prevent 90% of your backing off issues. It did for me anyways....
Built KA24DE: Wiseco 9.0:1 | Eagle H Beams | ARP Head & Main Studs | BC 272s & Springs | Supertech Valves
Boost Source: Under Construction

Thinking about E-Mance? Think twice and read this:
viewtopic.php?t=45057&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

TryingToTurbo wrote:As stated above, it is DEFINATELY a good idea to get a flexpipe in your downpipe. This will prevent 90% of your backing off issues. It did for me anyways....
Oh trust me I know. I've already had plans to run a flex pipe on mine waaay before this thread :)
BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

the steel ones that pinch are called stover nuts FYI
Unbound Yuurei

Post by Unbound Yuurei »

BRAD D wrote:the steel ones that pinch are called stover nuts FYI
Thank you
jp86
240sx Wannabe

Post by jp86 »

BRAD D wrote:the steel ones that pinch are called stover nuts FYI
i run stover nuts and beveled washers (must run two). I'm not sure of the actual name for these washers but they look like below.

BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

thats a nord lock washer
KoukiKAT
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by KoukiKAT »

BRAD D wrote:thats a nord lock washer
And they DO NOT come loose until you want them too. They're reusable too. Make sure to lube them and torque them properly. They're awesome on fasteners that experience a lot of shearing loads and vibration. Be aware that you can't use any other type of traditional washers anywhere in the assembly, since they'll defeat the purpose of these. I get mine through Maryland Metrics. They're willing to sell small quantities on special order.
The 240SX is dead. Long live the 240SX!
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

So what is the recommended amount of torque in ft-lbs to bolt the turbo on? Mine didn;t come with any instructions or spec chart thats why I'm asking. I was thinking 35-40 lbs?
BRAD D
KA-T.org Featured Ride
KA-T.org Featured Ride

Post by BRAD D »

i might try them, you can also get them at mc master carr
keytops

Post by keytops »

I would say 40 ft-lbs. If the regular stud, lock washer and bolt combonation isn't working either the major diameter of the studs is undersize, your lock washers are too flat or you have an F*** load of vibration and need to add a flex pipe/new engine mounts
98 s14 SE Track and weekender.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

TryingToTurbo wrote:If you buy the same kind of nut used to hold your header onto your head, those will do the charm. I don't remember the technical term but the end of the nut is "pinched" to create resistance once tightened so they wont back off. Those work great.
I actually have a bunch left over from when I 1st took the motor out. Looks like I just need studs then :)
RAMM
240sx Wannabe

Post by RAMM »

Nord lock washers are the way to go.

extensively used on racecars and other high dollar builds.
S14 KA-T2871r
GET GRIP FEELING!!!

Eloquentlytrack.wordpress.com
RAMM
240sx Wannabe

Post by RAMM »

But the BEST WAY to secure the turbo to the manifold is simple...

WELD IT.
S14 KA-T2871r
GET GRIP FEELING!!!

boker240

Post by boker240 »

reg. lock washers will work or they did for me.never had one back out or get loose.
get a grade 8 bolt and nut from parts store and lock washers and u'll be fine. as far as torque goes,,,,,crank the b*tch down.there are no torque specs.

jgs has some studs also if u want to go that way and have a washer and nut on top.
arias 8.8.1,615 tomie inj.,clevite bearings,arp 10mm hs,z32 maf,jwt ecu,intake butterflies removed,all emissions removed,cx rad. dif dual fan controller,altima dual fans,fidanza fw,stage 3 clutch,solid d shaft,j30 rearend,energy suspension bushings,kyb struts,155 lbs weight reduction.
currently n/a.

He'll probably blow the motor, and then join the army of retards who hate on KA's for no good reason.
Kamilitaryman
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Kamilitaryman »

RAMM wrote:But the BEST WAY to secure the turbo to the manifold is simple...

WELD IT.
So you're that guy that welded that T25 onto a CX racing mani? LMAO ;)
RAMM
240sx Wannabe

Post by RAMM »

No I used Nord Lock washers on my setup after my bolts backed out on me twice
S14 KA-T2871r
GET GRIP FEELING!!!

biggie

Post by biggie »

Will recommend the Z31 lock tabs (they fold up flat against the nut preventing it from vibrating loose). Using them on a setup of studs/nuts.
'93 Coupe GT32e/'93 Vert/'03 G35C

Always Broke!!!