ARP Head Studs Re-Torque

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
RAMM
240sx Wannabe

ARP Head Studs Re-Torque

Post by RAMM »

Going to be starting up and tuning my new motor this week, and I was wondering how many miles you guys usually Re-Torque your ARP headstuds at?

Setup:
ARP head Studs
Felpro Headgasket
S14 KA-T2871r
GET GRIP FEELING!!!

Eloquentlytrack.wordpress.com
boker240
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by boker240 »

so the heads been off and u need to retorque the arp's?? i dont get it on the miles thing. if the heads been off just retorque to the same torque that they were or 3ftlbs more just to be sure.
if ur talking about running the motor after an initial torque then retorqueing after so many miles then ive never heard of that..
there are 2 torque procedures before start up.
arias 8.8.1,615 tomie inj.,clevite bearings,arp 10mm hs,z32 maf,jwt ecu,intake butterflies removed,all emissions removed,cx rad. dif dual fan controller,altima dual fans,fidanza fw,stage 3 clutch,solid d shaft,j30 rearend,energy suspension bushings,kyb struts,155 lbs weight reduction.
currently n/a.

He'll probably blow the motor, and then join the army of retards who hate on KA's for no good reason.
KA4LIFE
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by KA4LIFE »

thats exactly what hes talking about its a re torque after some heat cycles so the head seats properly. I dont know how many miles but if i had to guess it would be around 500-1000 miles. i would do it along with the second or third break in oil change.
RAMM
240sx Wannabe

Post by RAMM »

I was told that you should RE-Torque your ARP headstuds after putting some miles on them.

True??

Just wondering how many miles you guys usually do it at? its generally said to re-torque them at 500 miles or so...but im still curious what the KA guys do it at..if theres any difference at all
S14 KA-T2871r
GET GRIP FEELING!!!

boker240

Post by boker240 »

i never retorqued mine.....the motor has seen 20-24 psi in boost and allmost got 30 k on it. no problems!!!! :)
arias 8.8.1,615 tomie inj.,clevite bearings,arp 10mm hs,z32 maf,jwt ecu,intake butterflies removed,all emissions removed,cx rad. dif dual fan controller,altima dual fans,fidanza fw,stage 3 clutch,solid d shaft,j30 rearend,energy suspension bushings,kyb struts,155 lbs weight reduction.
currently n/a.

He'll probably blow the motor, and then join the army of retards who hate on KA's for no good reason.
RAMM
240sx Wannabe

Post by RAMM »

hmmm good to know Boker.

Can anyone else chime in?
S14 KA-T2871r
GET GRIP FEELING!!!

Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

I've never heard of anyone ever doing this... i just do the initial torque sequence and im done.
WWW.GLADFAB.COM SOHC Turbo Manifolds
nismo_dreaming
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by nismo_dreaming »

Never once have I retorqued the head bolts after building an engine.....But who knows. Have you tried called ARP? I cant see that being something no one on the forums would have ever known about, but there customer support is pretty good. Give em a call and see what they say.
1996 240sx SE LS1
nissanfanatic
SuperMod

Post by nissanfanatic »

You aren't retorquing the head studs because the head studs need to be retorqued. You are retorqing the headstuds because when the engine heats up, the head expands and further compresses the headgasket. After that occurs and you shut the engine off, the engine cools down and the head returns to its original size. At that point, you have lost some clamping force on the gasket, so when you start the engine again, you end up having some seepage past the headgasket, or in some cases it just blows out.

Follow the FSM method IMO.

You don't have to retorque Cometic gaskets.
-Cory

2020 Subaru WRX
A long time ago...
https://www.ka-t.org/cory_b.php
Use Linux...
boker240

Post by boker240 »

Follow the FSM method IMO
touche^^^^. op,u can do this procedure if u want but its not necessary imo unless ur running lets say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,25+ psi.
currently n/a.