Who's running without idle control?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

Who's running without idle control?

Post by cypher02xd »

I'm considering removing all my idle control stuff and using just the throttle plate to idle the car when I swap intake manifolds to delete my emissions stuff. I would like to hear people's ACTUAL experiences doing this. Has this caused any problems or do you like it just fine?

If I do it I'll be pulling my whole harness to de-loom it and remove what I don't need when I go to install my aem ems to clean things up as much as I possibly can, as well as a possible tuck job.
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

i don't use the aem im running the ms2. with only 7 connectors.

i love it. less sh!t to go wrong. and less crap to tune for i would adjust the idle a little high like 1000 rpm's no loads. so when your run loads it will idle a little lower. and on the first start and warm up run it a little lean.
the hole rich thing for warm up is only for the cat to heat up faster for emissions.

and running a little leaner will help with idling wile cold. cause wile cold it can't burn all the fuel as good as warmed up.

just my experience with no idle controls. and i do dd the car.
street_240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by street_240sx »

Agreed I love it, mines been gone for almost 2years or so....no issues once I adjusted the tps. I use to dd my car but I got a daily while I'm working on it.
03 evo8 gsr: stroker 2.3 ;)

04 evo8 gsr: totalled

96 integra gsr: sold

89 s13 coupe: stock dohc, gt3076, megasquirt

started 3/15/08, running 1/18/09, finally turbo 2/9/14 lmfao
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Had all the emissions and un needed things on my intake manifold welded up... Great mod.. Only thing ive noticed is you have to give it a tad bit of gas for it to idle when cold, this is only for the first 5 or so seconds, then the plugs warm up and it will idle at about 600.. then about 800 when warm.

Running e85 and all the extra timing, it idles without any gas when cold.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
SleepyS-14
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by SleepyS-14 »

If you have a standalone, just get rid of the idle control motor. Idles way better. You might have to adjust the throttle plate alittle and lean the idle out a bit, but its way better.
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of lifes problems.

SOHC S-14...
Liteemup39496
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Liteemup39496 »

i did this on my SOHC, its a lil jumpy when its really cold out, but 3-5 min after is semi warm idles perfect.

my sohc idles better with a turbo and no emmisions then when i was N/A with all emissions. used to jump to like 1900rpm and stay there for like 10 min before dropping to 800ish
'89 KAe-T Coupe - on the road to a goal of 400whp with A/C
'91 Hatch - VH45 powered, track duty
'05 Titan - I/H/E VK56 - Tow rig and Daily
Single Jingle love
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

SleepyS-14 wrote:If you have a standalone, just get rid of the idle control motor. Idles way better. You might have to adjust the throttle plate alittle and lean the idle out a bit, but its way better.
yes. also on a standalone they should have a warm up enrichment and a cold idle advance based of coolant temp.

so wile cold like i said before i would run it a little leaner also advance the timming a little wile cold.
helps a lot with cold starts. also it will take some time to get it right so you just have to start it with out holding the gas for a sec.
beercandrifter

Post by beercandrifter »

removed it on my stock ka before transitioning to the turbo setup. car idled fine with out it. if it gets cold out just need to warm up the engine then it will idle fine again
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
Freise

Post by Freise »

Anyone run A/C without the IACV? I'd like to know if you could still run it without stalling the car at idle
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

Freise wrote:Anyone run A/C without the IACV? I'd like to know if you could still run it without stalling the car at idle
i wana say no. but i could be wrong. never ran a/c for 4 years.

but if you idle it a little high you might be able to get away with it. but again it proly wouldn't work to well unless your were driving.
Jus14

Post by Jus14 »

Would it make a difference if mine were obd2? i may try this im waitimg on ems to come in but when i clutch mine to say a red light it dies out?! Need adjustments or any opinions? I currently have xcessive mani and its remote mounted on firewall..so it will run without it?
Zip Tie Racing
www.NissanNation.com
smracing
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by smracing »

Keep the IACV, any good EMS can control the stock unit.
Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

smracing wrote:Keep the IACV, any good EMS can control the stock unit.
yes it can. but if you want just a simple set up with less crap to go wrong. that can be a good reason to get rid of it.
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

I dont mind not having one, but i would keep it if you can control it with the EMS. Just make sure you clean it if you do.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
Jordan Gladman

Post by Jordan Gladman »

I was amazed at how well the car runs without all the idle control with a stock ECU. I ran my car with NOTHING on the intake manifold and it ran great. Just needs a bit more throttle when the motor is really cold. after about a minute its good.
WWW.GLADFAB.COM SOHC Turbo Manifolds
Jus14

Post by Jus14 »

hmmm.... i have it remote mounted on firewall now due to having xcessive mani...i may try it without it...but when ems gets here if i can control it its kind of a toss up...i mean besides the cold start which i pretty much have now no other improvements except less to deal with?
Zip Tie Racing
www.NissanNation.com