SOHC-t running rough after tune!

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
Clarke240
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

SOHC-t running rough after tune!

Post by Clarke240 »

I have a KA24E-t with the CXRacing kit and an E-Mance tuned ECU. The car ran fine before I installed the ECU today, idled fine at least, and drove fine at low RPM's. Well I put the ECU in today and its running like ****! It idles fine BEFORE I drive it, but as soon as I drive it about 100 yards it all goes to hell. The car died, it didnt want to idle at all, it would puff a little bit of black smoke as it roughly idled with a little throttle play, etc.

I disconnected the TPS because it didnt want to run correctly with it plugged up, and when I did thats when it idled well. And it ran fine as I accelerated softly out of my driveway. As I took my foot off the gas to turn around it died, so I gear started it on the roll, and when I tried to accelerate back, softly again, it became very... "choppy" is the best word to describe it. It feels like it isnt giving it enough fuel to run correctly. I have a Circuit Sports 255lph fuel pump and 650cc Deatschwerks Injectors. One more thing, everything about 4k rpm the car like bogs out, it did this before the new ECU though.

I plan on replacing my TPS from an extra SOHC I have lying around, but I for some reason dont feel this is going to solve the problem. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Clarke240

Post by Clarke240 »

One more thing! I dont know if my alternator has gone bad, but my battery stopped charging today as well. Not sure if that could cause any of this.
ATLspeed
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by ATLspeed »

as far as the alternator charging prob check your ALT fuse...they are common for blowing.

When you installed the emance ecu did you set timing back to stock?
- KA24DE = 14.8
- KA24DE-T25 (7psi) = 13.1
- KA24DE-T28 (12psi) = 12.9 (traction issues)
- KA24DE-T HE351 (20psi) = ??.??
- 2JZ HX40 (18psi) = LOL

~Set Up~
2jzgte, built head, blah blah blah
Clarke240

Post by Clarke240 »

No I did not. I am at 11 btdc, stock was like 16 I believe. Was I supposed to?
Clarke240

Post by Clarke240 »

anyone?
240drew
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by 240drew »

Yes, but its an emance ecu that in and of itself is a problem. Have you read the emance 2 step thread about him. There was a huge debate about a year ago over him and his shady business. Sorry but you may have gotten had. i don't know if hes changed his business tactics or not.
Cars
1996 240sx KAt28- Sold
1992 240sx RB20- Sold
1995 240sx RB25neo- Sold
1993 240sx 2jzgte- Sold
Current:
2006 Toyota Tundra
1995 240sx 2jzgte BWs366
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Its a standard chip in there, if you can get someone to burn you a tune, you can just swap the chips out.. I bought an emance ecu for cheap just for the chipped ecu
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
Clarke240

Post by Clarke240 »

I payed 200 shipped overnight to my door, so I really can not complain. And I havent found the root of the problem yet. My alternator has taken a **** and Ive yet to replace it, I just put a new TPS on, and I may have a couple vacuum leaks near the manifold. (I know I have 2 uncapped nipples coming out about 2 inches below the throttle body that I dont know the uses for) Ill have to fix all the little **** on my end before I point any fingers. I just know it ran fine, the same way it is now, before the ECU. Fingers are crossed.
Clarke240

Post by Clarke240 »

But to clarify, I set the timing back to stock with the new ECU?
jeremy242
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by jeremy242 »

if you still have the turbo on it you are going to want to keep it retarded a little as to not detinate
Clarke240

Post by Clarke240 »

Okay, well today I set the timing back to stock, 15btdc. Now, instead of constantly running like ****, it runs like **** until about 3k rpm. Then as soon as it passes that super jerky stage it grabs and pulls hard as **** until redline, as I want it to do.

Now I just have to address whatever the issue is at low RPM. Another issue, the car doesnt want to idle until it is warmed up, until then it just wants to turn off. But it idles perfectly after its at operating temp.

As to the first issue of the jerkiness and breaking up at low RPM, could the wrong plugs cause this? I have plugs in it for a stock KA-E, nothing colder. So would going to the BKR7E's make a considerable difference? And Idle issues, anyone?