Coilover Choices? Any Preferences?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
KA26.5DET
Learners Permit

Coilover Choices? Any Preferences?

Post by KA26.5DET »

So i have found three sets of coilovers for sale and am wondering if anyone here has some input from firsthand use or whatever. I don't care about ride comfort just quality and performance. I'm leaning towards either Ohlins or Buddy Club due to price but am willing to get the Tein if they are 300-400$ better than the two.

-Ohlins PCV $600 +yen conversion (which sucks)
Haven't heard about these before but they have good reviews.

-Buddy Club Race Spec $500 +yen conv
I had Buddy Club RS on my R33 and liked them they did well at the track just not sure about their longevity or whatnot i only had them like 6-7 months before i had to sell the car to move back to the u.s

Tein Super Drift $900 +yen conv
They're Tein so i know they're good . . . but more$$$
Brian Crower Stroker Kit . . . Not because its smart just because i could.
veilside180sx
SuperMod

Post by veilside180sx »

Ohlin's are hands down better than the other 2, but you must be looking at used. (since they definitely don't cost that new)
JGS Precision
Wastegates, Bypass Valves, KA Turbo Kits
KA26.5DET
Learners Permit

Post by KA26.5DET »

Yeah all the prices are used From a second hand part store here in Japan. I have a month or so left here trying to pick some stuff up before i head home. And thanks for the input.
Brian Crower Stroker Kit . . . Not because its smart just because i could.
ATL240
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by ATL240 »

I've never heard of ohlins but I no buddy club and tein's are top brands. You can't go wrong with either choice.

That's so cool that you are in Japan! I'm guessing you are in the military? I was there all of January 2011, I feel like I missed out on many things though because I can't speak/read Japanese but I loved it and miss it already.
slydeuryde
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Post by slydeuryde »

budy club and tein are a joke nothing is dyno'd and the adjustments are about as crude as you can get, ohlins in a very well known brand of suspension products compete's with penske and other high dollar top shelf products and is widely used through out motorsports weather it be motorcycle racing, nascar , circle track road racing etc etc

just my 2 cents go with the ohlins hands down no questions and also do some research on ohlins suspension products you will be very surprised
myowncasualty

Post by myowncasualty »

yeah tein and buddy club are not top shelf. They are decent entry level coilovers at best but most would never be able to tell the difference. Stiffer springs are not always better, going low does nothing but ruin your ride quality and throw off suspension geometry.

Out of the three I would go Ohlins without a question, I have been runnning kw's for about a month now and I love them, they are also quite a bit more expensive though.

Oh and here..
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/
95 240sx ka-t > SOLD
08 Evo X MR > New daily/ fun
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

If you are looking at those, get the Ohlins. Or build your own with some Koni's; this can be cheap if you shop around, or very expensive, but a high quality setup none the less.

And +1 for www.nissanroadracing.com That site has really helped me out in figuring out how to set up my car for handling.
DeepSeaDynamo
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by DeepSeaDynamo »

eazye2000 wrote:Or build your own with some Koni's; this can be cheap if you shop around, or very expensive, but a high quality setup none the less.
do you have more info on this or a link?
Jus14

Post by Jus14 »

I have had good ride quality and luck with ksport and stance coilovers both..
Zip Tie Racing
www.NissanNation.com
eazye2000
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by eazye2000 »

DeepSeaDynamo wrote:
eazye2000 wrote:Or build your own with some Koni's; this can be cheap if you shop around, or very expensive, but a high quality setup none the less.
do you have more info on this or a link?
No info really. There are a few options to use Koni shocks on the S-chassis cars. I will text my buddy and see how he did it. You can opt for aftermarket 'shells' to put the koni's in, or you can fab up or use some stock stuff to do it. It's all in how you want to do it.
Check www.NissanRoadRacing.com Very good site with tons of info.
DeepSeaDynamo
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by DeepSeaDynamo »

awesome thanks