thoughts on hacked maf

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
240driftguy
240sx Wannabe

thoughts on hacked maf

Post by 240driftguy »

hello another budget ka-t build here. I'm at the point in the build where I need to do something with fuel/air. I was thinking of hacking the maf. I found this

http://www.ka24development.com/hacked_MAF.html

anybody go this route or no anyone who has?
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

This is bad because the ECU uses the maf voltage to calculate load, it sees barely any voltage and figures its under low load... Timing gets ramped up and then you are draining pieces of piston out of your oil pan. This is the worst case senario if you dont catch it in time. They also said they went through a few motors due to detonation.
That surely doesnt inspire confidence in these guys abilities. Doesnt sound like the guys are using widebands or anything.

They also said you can do the mod with 370cc injectors then your limit is about 250hp.. I wouldnt be surprised if they blew a motor due to pushing those tiny injectors too far..

Only time i could see it being useful is if you had a standalone and could properly tune the new maf curve. Even then it would be better to just go map.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
DeepSeaDynamo
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by DeepSeaDynamo »

from my understand hacking the maf is about as useful as using an afc, you might be able to get the fueling right but you still can't do anything with the timing, which is a real problem when you are turboing
Freise
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Freise »

Seems like more trouble than it's worth. It's pretty cheap to go with an N60 and just get a rom tune for a fairly reliable setup. Or if you have to have an safc then at least you have a tiny bit more room to play with.
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

SAFC's suck balls and why get an N60? Just get an N62 to support up to 500hp or get a p60 with a tune. I don't know why people use the vq30 MAF's.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
adamky
SuperMod

Post by adamky »

schmauster920 wrote:This is bad because the ECU uses the maf voltage to calculate load, it sees barely any voltage and figures its under low load... Timing gets ramped up and then you are draining pieces of piston out of your oil pan. This is the worst case senario if you dont catch it in time. They also said they went through a few motors due to detonation.
That surely doesnt inspire confidence in these guys abilities. Doesnt sound like the guys are using widebands or anything.
There is no "they". That is Orion's site. I bet that info has been up there for 8 years. The hacked MAF idea came about a long time ago when there were very little options for tuning. At the time, it was either JWT, standalone, or.... this. It's obviously not the best idea with all of the tuning options available now.

You youngin's just don't know how good you got it these days. :wink:
Wiseco/Eagle, JWT S1 cams, BC valve springs, PT5857, ID1700 injectors, SR20DET ECU w/ Nismotronic, COP conversion with LS ignition coils, etc, etc...
--> YouTube channel --> my build thread
Freise
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Freise »

supakat wrote:SAFC's suck balls and why get an N60? Just get an N62 to support up to 500hp or get a p60 with a tune. I don't know why people use the vq30 MAF's.
Agreed
SAFC's suck but sometimes people are just dead set on using them...

Going N62 would be more than ideal, but N60's cost next to nothing and gives you a 3" housing to work with and are pretty much all you need for a "budget" setup using a t25 or t28.... from experience you can pull N60's from the junkyard all day for like $12, the pigtail is the same as n62 which makes upgrading painless when funds come in. No where near the best option, but a more simple one compared to hacking a stock maf sensor.
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Adding another shady idea to the list..

I dont see why you couldnt try different resistors on the maf info wire going to the ecu, or maybe the power wire. It would be like hacking your maf i would think.

Most people prefer to hack plastic than wiring though.

Yeah +1 for the 12 dollar n60 junkyard maf... i never understood why everyone is running a z32 maf. The n60s are so cheap, if you arent going to make over 350hp anytime soon, then i dont see why not. The extra resolution in the maf signal can only be a good thing.

Not to mention, mafs die every once in a while, so its not like its a one time purchase to future proof your ride.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
DeepSeaDynamo
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by DeepSeaDynamo »

supakat wrote:I don't know why people use the vq30 MAF's.
the n60 maf comes out of the 3rd gen maxima (89-94) so they came on the vg30e and ve30de engines. I have no idea what maf the vq30 uses
schmauster920

Post by schmauster920 »

Is anyone using a VQ30 maf? I think he meant VH
p00t
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by p00t »

schmauster920 wrote:Adding another shady idea to the list..

I dont see why you couldnt try different resistors on the maf info wire going to the ecu, or maybe the power wire. It would be like hacking your maf i would think.
The issue is that the MAF airflow vs voltage isn't linear. Putting a resistor into the sensor wiring or whatever is a linear change and you could only "tune" a very narrow area of airflow.

If you are on a budget and don't need big power this can be a reliable mod same as AFC. It just requires you to do more work. If you have conzult, datascan, or an informer you can compare timing modified vs unmodified and retard your distributor the necessary amount. I would only try this on an s14 with an open element or car with similar maf like a maxima or p11.
Current Experiment: Project Twin-Charge 2022
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

schmauster920 wrote:Is anyone using a VQ30 maf? I think he meant VH

I meant vg30e. Typo my bad. I am stuck on the vq30's since I can find at least 5 in the junkyard right now. Will be awhile before 35's hit the yard. Great option to swap in.

The vq30's are e61 which might have a better vq map than the n60. Would need to look that up. The vh are p60's. Either run an n62 or p60 imo.

12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
240driftguy
240sx Wannabe

Post by 240driftguy »

thanks for the imput....what kind of cars does the n60 come on. I only want about 200 hp to do some drifting with and get the back tires spinning. i'm not even registering the car its only to have some fun with but anyway here are my engine mods so far..what do you think.

sr injectors
t3/t4 turbo under 10 psi
fmic
external wg
emissions delete
hks ssq bov
mbc

i don't want to spend all day at the track trying to get it run right I just want something that will work I was thinking an enthalpy ecu and call it a day?