same side intercooler?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

same side intercooler?

Post by cypher02xd »

is there anyone running an intercooler like this?

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_ ... a8f8283dfc

I like this style because usually they are more efficent when compared with their size, I won't need to relocate my battery if I don't want to and I think I might be able to do the piping pretty easily. I tried searching to see anyone else has done this to get an idea for piping and mounting but I didn't have any luck. I'm sure some of the more seasoned members may remember a specific thread or member who did it to point me towards
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

I don't remember seeing any particular builds with this type of IC recently. For mounting ideas (assuming you would want to put this on the driver side; opposite of the battery), check out how the stock SR20det's that came with a side mount intercooler mount up (maybe you could use a similar mounting scheme). For mounting the IC you were talking about, You could probably have some brackets fabbed up and attach it to the inner fender wall with existing holes, where the stock front tow hook is welded on an s14. If you're looking for a compact size w/o battery relocation, liquid to air IC are also a great option (they are more efficient than air to air and take up less room because of this), of course you would probably need a heat exchanger for this in addition to the IC.

liquid to air IC's:
http://www.frozenboost.com/index.php?cP ... 46b3e58665
street_240sx
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by street_240sx »

just seems inconvenient to run on our motors. why is it should a big deal to people to relocate or BUY a smaller battery???
03 evo8 gsr: stroker 2.3 ;)

04 evo8 gsr: totalled

96 integra gsr: sold

89 s13 coupe: stock dohc, gt3076, megasquirt

started 3/15/08, running 1/18/09, finally turbo 2/9/14 lmfao
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

Post by cypher02xd »

Well, I'd still want to get it mounted up in the front of the vehicle as best I could for the sake of airflow across the intercooler. I would be a bit too paranoid about having it mounted in the fender and not getting enough air across. I think that piping would still be pretty easy to pull off with mounting it there.

Truthfully I had considered running a water-air intercooler but I don't presonally see it being feasible for a street car. I do much like the idea of bringing the air temps down super cold with the use of ice, but for a street car that's daily driven I don't have to have to worry about that. I'd rather just run an air-air intercooler and run a cry02 intercooler sprayer and be good to go with that!
cypher02xd
240sx Wannabe

Post by cypher02xd »

street_240sx wrote:just seems inconvenient to run on our motors. why is it should a big deal to people to relocate or BUY a smaller battery???
why is it inconvenient? Because you can't just buy a kit for it like most do?
Freise
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Freise »

I'm thinking more along the lines of requiring more "creative" pipe work in general all in the name of keeping your battery in the stock location (and you get a better weight distribution in the trunk anyways). Or u can buy a Miata battery and not worry about much of anything.
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
tom550
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by tom550 »

so you want to get this intercooler. fabricate mounts for it. possibly chop metal from the bay to allow 2 sets of piping to go. then fabricate a completely new piping set up that runs all over the bay. to keep you from getting a smaller battery?

just run a sr side mount kit then buy my meth kit and set it to 6psi if your that scared about cooling and dont want to remove the battery.
cleantune
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by cleantune »

cypher02xd wrote:Well, I'd still want to get it mounted up in the front of the vehicle as best I could for the sake of airflow across the intercooler. I would be a bit too paranoid about having it mounted in the fender and not getting enough air across. I think that piping would still be pretty easy to pull off with mounting it there.

Truthfully I had considered running a water-air intercooler but I don't presonally see it being feasible for a street car. I do much like the idea of bringing the air temps down super cold with the use of ice, but for a street car that's daily driven I don't have to have to worry about that. I'd rather just run an air-air intercooler and run a cry02 intercooler sprayer and be good to go with that!
And my rant begins haha..........

From my understanding, water to air intercoolers are even better for daily driving because the water is constantly circulating and cooling the air inside. The whole thing with ice is an extra feature (like a spray bar for a FMIC); its an option one can get and then incorporate if they'd like to reduce temps further. Kits come with IC, small cooling core (like radiator) w/ fan and a pump to keep the fluid moving through the system. I have heard that over time using a spray bar with CryO2 or No2 can weaken the metal on the IC (just from the rapid cooling and heating). On top of this water has better overall heat transfer than air.

Check this out:
http://www.frozenboost.com/stpg.php?pag ... ter_to_air

I hope this doesn't sound like an argument. I'm actually considering doing this myself just because of the efficiency of all of it. A thick FMIC from a good brand name company can cost upwards of $500-700 or even more. These FMIC have a pressure drop (decrease in flow) about twenty times greater than a water to air intercooler. The water to air IC costs way less per application (for 1200hp kit only missing piping its about 470, then prices decrease 600hp kit=~300, etc.). In additon to these things the cooler can be placed almost anywhere in the engine bay (b/c its smaller and does not require external airflow). Better flow and shorter piping increase response.

/rant lol
For SALE !!! >>http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p537044 <<

Buildthread: http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 46#p537046
instagram: @cleantune / @siks_tehn_racing
BigLoukaT
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by BigLoukaT »

wow... silicone intake systems is EVERYWHERE now... just under different names.

SIS = anfittingsdirect = frozenboost.

last time I ordered i told them they should have one dedicated website for all their "specialties" or at least a list of everything/site they do
1990 S13
Boosted single slammer
MS DIYPNP
npx from 240sxforums wrote:i figure from my very limited knowledge about the 240 and under the hood about cars in general i would follow the sr20det trend.