Is it my pistons?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
Chrisq0904
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Is it my pistons?

Post by Chrisq0904 »

After a few months of my car sitting due to not having a tune I decided to get a basic tune to at least make it drivable. When I put the tune on my AEM and tried to fire it up it would turn over idle for about 2-4 seconds and then die. I looked outside of my car and saw a huge cloud of white smoke, i figured it might just be condensation. I then tried to start the car again but this time i gave it some throttle and even more smoke came out but this time it had a stench of gas :cry: I check my oil and the dipstick also smelled of gas.. Im on stock internals, could the o-ring on my piston be shot? If it is would it be wise to just go ahead and save up for new pistons? Thanks for the help.

-Chris
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

First things first, get a wideband and get us some AFR's when it is on for the 2 seconds.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Chrisq0904

Post by Chrisq0904 »

If i give it some gas it will stay running but like **** and my afr is around 14ish.
tom550
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by tom550 »

can a wideband even warm up in that time ha
have you done a compression test?

Wide Band UEGO A/F (lambda) Sensors
Initial Warm-up Time: Less than 20 seconds
Freise
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Freise »

Have you messed with injectors at all? Maybe they are torn/leaking fuel? Checked plugs see if they've fouled especially if you've been running without a tune then let it sit.
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
Chrisq0904

Post by Chrisq0904 »

The only time I messed with the injectors was when I first installed them. When you say torn do you mean a broken o-ring? Also how do I check if they are leaking? I have not done a compression test since I tried starting it up again, Ill try to get that done today and post what they are.
Chrisq0904

Post by Chrisq0904 »

Compression test numbers are: 175 185 175 180
Freise

Post by Freise »

Injector O-Rings are very temperamental. Even small slices/cracks will cause them to leak horribly, flooding the engine and causing misfires and running issues.
To Test:
Remove the bolts holding your fuel rail to the intake manifold and lift the rail and injectors (don't disconnect anything). Lay some paper towels underneath the injectors, then just turn your key to "on" to pressurize fuel system (dont try to crank the engine though!). If your O-rings are leaking, you will see where fuel is leaking onto the paper towels. If you O-rings are good, you shouldnt see any fuel.
Pretty simple test to rule the injectors out.
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
Chrisq0904

Post by Chrisq0904 »

Freise wrote:Injector O-Rings are very temperamental. Even small slices/cracks will cause them to leak horribly, flooding the engine and causing misfires and running issues.
To Test:
Remove the bolts holding your fuel rail to the intake manifold and lift the rail and injectors (don't disconnect anything). Lay some paper towels underneath the injectors, then just turn your key to "on" to pressurize fuel system (dont try to crank the engine though!). If your O-rings are leaking, you will see where fuel is leaking onto the paper towels. If you O-rings are good, you shouldnt see any fuel.
Pretty simple test to rule the injectors out.
Just finished up doing this. I even waited about 5min with the paper towl beneath them and I didn't see not one dot of fuel
Chrisq0904

Post by Chrisq0904 »

anyone else have ideas?
wheelman

Post by wheelman »

You say the exhaust has a strong gas smell if you open the throttle a bit to keep it running and the oil also smells like gas, that indicates the engine is running too rich.

Get a real tune before you worry about bad piston rings (they don't go bad from just sitting unless its been many years).

Once you have a decent tune then you can worry about white, black or grey smoke coming from the exhaust.

BTW: How big are the injectors you installed?
Where did you get the tune you installed in the AEM and was it set up for the injectors you have?
Wheelman

1992 240SX SE Hatch, KA24DET.
1973 240Z, LT1, 5-speed, worked suspension.

DON'T TOUCH MY JUNK!!
Somewhere the Zebra dances
Time is the fire in which we burn
Chrisq0904

Post by Chrisq0904 »

The injectors I installed are 550cc from an evo. The tune is from a friend of mine. I just want the car drivable so I can take it to the shop and have it dyno tuned so I don't have to pay for a tow truck.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

Just get it towed. It seems you are incapable of tuning so getting a base tune to drive under 2k will be impossible for you. I am not trying to be an @$$ but you want people to diagnose your issue as if the car was running already. Stop wasting your time and our time and get it towed.

Also, you need to learn some common sense. The car does not run and you complain of oil smelling like gas. Please use your head.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel