help convert a RB driver!

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
DJRhodes84
NooB

help convert a RB driver!

Post by DJRhodes84 »

lol, yes it true i went with the dirty RB swap in my S13. I just picked up a really nice S14 Zenki and i want to go KA-t. I have a few must, it has to be reliable and i want to keep it under $1,000 at around 290 to 310HP. Ive found a few Ebay kits but not sure what all i'll need or if these kits are worth the money. I want to make this an easy one day install. So please make me a believer and give me some pointers...

found these http://www.ebay.com/itm/240SX-S13-S14-A ... 243wt_1270

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-240SX-S1 ... 946wt_1270
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Wow, this has been Asked and covered so many times I think I am going to puke. Those kits will not give you 300 hp without blowing something, and I'm not going into detail as of why. Is say it would be safe for around 200hp. And tou will definitely spend more than 1000$ to do this. If tou can't afford it, don't do it. Very simple.

viewtopic.php?t=6263
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
beercandrifter
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by beercandrifter »

stay with your rb. :repost: :repost: :repost:
91 240sx Hatch: HomeBrwd
25psi hx35/8.8:1/264^2 cams/95lb injectors/Megasquirt 2/ka24de build **RIP**
T56/4.8 LSx/LS9 Cam/60lb injectors/comp 918 springs/Megasquirt 3/all custom wiring
body80
240sx Wannabe

Post by body80 »

I'm sorry to inform you but your order CAN NOT be filled.

It's just not going to happen.
Jeff
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

^ lol and are you serious about switching from rb to ka? WTF. Smh
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

Kfred
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Kfred »

He could have an rb20. I don't find the rb25 any more impressive than the ka either.

I really don't think you will be able to do what you plan for $1000.
ECU = $400 easy.
Injectors = $200 easy. (you will need bigger than 370s)
Intercooler/piping = $250
Exhaust = $100

Hopefully you can get a turbo, manifold, downpipe, oil lines, bov, boost gauge, wastegate, z32 mafs, etc. all for $50.

You could do a t2 setup for pretty cheap if you can find a used t28 for a good price. However, I highly doubt you can do it for $1000 unless you get a really good deal on the turbo, ecu, and injectors.
RIP Nate(480sx)...
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Ya, he could have anything. But I'm willing to bet he has no clue what he has under his hood so he probably doesn't know why he wants to go ka t
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Re: help convert a RB driver!

Post by Jmcc »

DJRhodes84 wrote:So please make me a believer and give me some pointers...
um why???? we can spoon feed you all the info in the world, and reasons to stay with a ka. but at the end of the day you can still end up hating it and going back to your old ways.
DJRhodes84
NooB

Post by DJRhodes84 »

im not switching from an RB to a KAt, the RB25 with 26 piston,crank blocked and sleeved Tomi cams GT45 turbo and more bolt on then i really care to type out is my my RPS13. (a lot of fun but not always the most reliable) So im stuck driving my 300z 2+2 with a 396. Gas mileage is awful in it, and i want to stay true to the nissan name on this next car.

I picked up a low mileage S14 Zenki thats been babied by its one owner and i want to enter the KAt world but keep a faithful daily driver. So no i dont know much about the KAt world but yes im willing to learn. So i dont need some smart asses speaking down to me. Im hear to learn from people who know what they are speaking about. So if someone wouldnt mind looking at the 2 beginning turbo kits and give me a heads up on the better buy. That would be great. I plan to buy them via Ebay because it will be easier for me while here in Afghanistan. So again thank you for your time and a pre thank you for your input.

Also i would like to know a few other items i can buy to get me closer to my target mark but to keep the car a safe and friendly driver. I dont mind spending over 1,100 on the car but i dont want to drop a large amount of this deployment money on it.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

^ should've been your first post. I have a t25 Garrett that needs a rebuild and a tubular sar turbo manifold I can sell you for cheap if you want. If you want to save money then piece something together yourself. Buy an intercooler kit off eBay that comes with a bov. Then you need the oil line and tune and your basically done. That'll get you around 200hp for cheap
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

DJRhodes84
NooB

Post by DJRhodes84 »

thanks for the heads up and offer Down_shift but i like the package deals that i found on ebay and shared the links to. If i change out the t3/t4 turbo and dont go with a R30 set up i will def hive you a holla on that deal you offered.

real fast, without busting into the guts of this KA what will be a good ideal on my max HP (remember i need to keep this one a daily driver lol) and what whould be a few extra bolt ons i can pick up to get me there, and where is a good place to get them?

Sorry for sounding like a child but im new to the KA world....
240driftguy
240sx Wannabe

Post by 240driftguy »

looks like the kit i got about a year ago. With these kits a one day install is out of the question. The only thing that bolts on is the exhaust mani and its of poor design. I have the same cast mani and i had to bash my inner fender well to get the turbo pipeing to fit also had to get a s14 booster cause the turbo will hit the master cly. also had to hack up the downpipe to make it fit. only thing useable was the dp flange. I also had to cut the intercooler pipeing to get it to fit.Things that did not come with my kit that i needed are wastegate bov fuel air controler exhaust.. :x
nismoautoxr
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by nismoautoxr »

Quite honestly ..... :shock: :lol:
Ricky Ragan,
95 SE ,LS1 N/A and T56, 230/232 @.050 cam, MS3 with MS3X,GC coilovers,17x8.5 Enkei RPF1 on 255 40 17 RS3 Hankooks, 377HP/351TQ , megasquirt3 fully sequential
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Ok so as stated 9558624 times. It's impossible to do what you want to do on your budget. And please don't bring up the eBay kit thing. The only eBay item I would get is an intercooler and log manifold. Go to cxracing.com, that's your best bet at a "complete" turbo kit for a good price. No more questions, please and thank you.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

DJRhodes84 wrote: So i dont need some smart asses speaking down to me. Im hear to learn from people who know what they are speaking about.
im not really smart, an ass yes. just looking at the thread's title and the first post
is the same thing i keep seeing. then they don''t hear what they wana hear and leave.

i have seen guys get away with running ebay kits. but its really a hit or miss.
im thinking about throwing on a cx kit to see how long it last till i blow it up lol.

keep looking i have come across a good sr t25, ka manifold, and down pipe for 100.
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

^ about that....did you buy them? I want them!!!
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

Jmcc
Encyclopedia-Nissan

Post by Jmcc »

shift_down wrote:^ about that....did you buy them? I want them!!!
??? pm me aint no reason to take up his thread.
DJRhodes84
NooB

Post by DJRhodes84 »

thanks for all the good input guys. Im glad i found this site and i know with yalls help when i get back from this deployment im going to make this a fun car. I may even want to sale my 300 2+2 with the small block because i know this car will be that much fun.

This is what im thinking tell me if yall think this will be a good and safe setup

CXracing turbo kit with the GT35 turbo (rather go GT3076R)
Big air intake manifold
AEM topfed fuel rail
370cc injectors
lightweight flywheel
clutch
OBX underdrive pulleys
sparkplug wires and platinum tipped plugs

*getting it tuned*

will this still be a dependable daily?

Does any know anything about DIYPNP ECU MegaSquirt ?

If anyone wants to see these car i have ; RPS13,300,s13 coupe/silvia convert, and s14 hit me up on facebook. dj_rhodes84@yahoo.com
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

Cool cool, make sure you get a bigger fuel pump though. Walbro 255 is cheap. Get 550cc injectors, 370 s are much more limited.
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;

s13_maniaco
NooB

Post by s13_maniaco »

I have had both RB26 and RB25 and I went back KAT cause parts are easier to come by and way cheaper and a KAT can build as much power without all the weight and without dumping all the cash in it.... Now I do miss the sound of them thats for sure :(
RB is too heavy so Im back to KA-T
91_ka24de
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by 91_ka24de »

Don't need aem top feed fuel rail. Some subi 550s will work fine. And expect to pay over 1100 bucks. The more you spend the more reliable the motor will be. Cheap **** will destroy your motor. Obx under drive pully = gay worthless unbalances your crank and you don't have your timing marks so stay away from that. Leight weight fw isn't great stock will work. Again unbalancing the crank = toasted bearings.. if your trying to spend least ammount of money then keep it simple. Intakes arnt generally a power holder. Just get a adjustable fpr turbo, manifold, inj, bov intercooler + piping and wastegate if not internally gated, exhaust and tune. Ebay is ok on non moving parts. I.e. intercooler+ piping. Stray away from ebay bovs and wastegates. Ebay turbos are 50/50. Hope this helps. And you can't blame us for flaming you. We get alot of noobs on here thinkin they can ezly make 400hp without knowing anything an they ask the same siht over n over n over again. No harm intended but there's a search button for a reason
"we never have money to do it right,but we always find money to do it twice"

"Money isn't really much of an issue. Only the time it takes to make it." -ILuvS13s

Hatchback,ISIS/HKS Hyper D-Max coilovers, Work Euroline DH fronts 18x8 Rears 18x9 205/40's,Wiseco Pistons,Eagle Rods,deatch work 740cc injectors 255lph,Aem Wideband, 58/63 turbo, megan FPR,Mishimoto rad,3" Apexi turbo back exhaust,Nology Hot Wires, NIStune
DJRhodes84
NooB

Post by DJRhodes84 »

and APEXI AFC should be able to handle all of this as far my EMS
Silviadream87
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Silviadream87 »

No, I have one and they suck I have to play with it everytime I get into the car. The conditions are always different so it constantly needs adjusting. I would go with something that is more solid like an enthalpy tuned ecu or something like that or if you can get ahold of an emanage for cheap that would be better than an safc.
Always make sure the juice is worth the squeeze!!

91 240sx turbo-first rwd and loving it
91_ka24de
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by 91_ka24de »

Nistune
"we never have money to do it right,but we always find money to do it twice"

"Money isn't really much of an issue. Only the time it takes to make it." -ILuvS13s

Hatchback,ISIS/HKS Hyper D-Max coilovers, Work Euroline DH fronts 18x8 Rears 18x9 205/40's,Wiseco Pistons,Eagle Rods,deatch work 740cc injectors 255lph,Aem Wideband, 58/63 turbo, megan FPR,Mishimoto rad,3" Apexi turbo back exhaust,Nology Hot Wires, NIStune
DJRhodes84
NooB

Post by DJRhodes84 »

from what i can tell Nistune is awesome, but its more of a tuning program. im going to bring the car to a professional to have it tuned. Im just looking for the hardwear to help the process along.
Silviadream87
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Silviadream87 »

Aem fic or emanage
Always make sure the juice is worth the squeeze!!

91 240sx turbo-first rwd and loving it