Need help removing emissions/swapping 98 KA into a 91

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
fox1486
Learners Permit

Need help removing emissions/swapping 98 KA into a 91

Post by fox1486 »

Here's a link to my build thread
viewtopic.php?t=46306&highlight=
I took the following from my thread, unfortunately because I started the thread in the Beginner's Forum, I don't think it gets much traffic:

Finally started to get back to this project! A few things to cover and get clarification on.

First let's start off with whats a NECESSITY for the swap. There is still some debate as to what you NEED to switch between the S13 and S14 engines in order to make the swap work with the S13 harness/ECU. Here's what I've come across thus far. Keep in mind that the S14 engine, and its components, are in alot better shape than the S13 engine and components, so I'm trying to use as many of the S14 parts as possible.

Going to install:

S14 running longblock
S14 transmission
S14 intake manifold
S13 Throttle Body & TPS
The three (3) S13 temperature sensors from the S13 intake manifold (not sure about this since S14 sensors are in way better shape, and they all connect to the same plug which looks identical on both S13/S14. Is this a necessity?)
S13 Exhaust manifold/Exhaust
S13 Driveshaft
S13 Rear Diff

Removing Emissions:

This is really the only guide I've seen thus far
Intake manifold mysteries revealed: DIY KA24DE emissions removal and assembly – NICOclub

I'd like to tackle the spiderweb of hard fuel/intake vacuum lines on the top portion of the S14 intake manifold, but haven't found a writeup on how to simply the system. At this point, I'm looking for any insight or opinions. Emissions in NY State are not my concern being a 91 model. Also keep in mind the car will be mainly a track car.

I know that for the EGR, sites say to keep that rusted brown mass in the intake but to block it off its outlet. Why wouldn't I just remove it altogether? Simply due to it leaving an oddly shaped hole?

Feel free to help me out, I want to get this car moving soon!
Last edited by fox1486 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Brad
rebeltshead
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by rebeltshead »

They sell block off plates for the EGR - both holes. Go ahead and take it off as far as you can.

I also see no problem using the s14 sensors.

Heck all that's on my intake is a TB and the brake booster line. I had help though.
SHIFT_Live
fox1486
Learners Permit

Post by fox1486 »

So you think the S14 sensors on the intake manifold will hook up to the S13 wiring harness?

Also, is there anyway to get rid of the hard vacuum lines on top of the S14 intake manifold? I want to simplify it so i have at least as possible.
-Brad
Freise

Post by Freise »

fox1486 wrote: Also, is there anyway to get rid of the hard vacuum lines on top of the S14 intake manifold? I want to simplify it so i have at least as possible.
The hard lines on top of your intake manifold are fuel lines, not vacuum. If you look, it's two different sets of hard lines (one is feed, the other is return) which are attached via rubber hoses to the fuel rail.
You can remove them and just run rubber hoses from fuel filter to feed and from fpr to return which fit inbetween the runners and out the back of the IM.

You could probably even do a better job of running the fuel lines to hide them even further, I just did it this way to get my new fpr to work, it just happens to look cleaner than stock
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
fox1486
Learners Permit

Post by fox1486 »

Freise wrote:
fox1486 wrote: Also, is there anyway to get rid of the hard vacuum lines on top of the S14 intake manifold? I want to simplify it so i have at least as possible.
The hard lines on top of your intake manifold are fuel lines, not vacuum. If you look, it's two different sets of hard lines (one is feed, the other is return) which are attached via rubber hoses to the fuel rail.
You can remove them and just run rubber hoses from fuel filter to feed and from fpr to return which fit inbetween the runners and out the back of the IM.

You could probably even do a better job of running the fuel lines to hide them even further, I just did it this way to get my new fpr to work, it just happens to look cleaner than stock
Awesome, thanks for looking out. I'm very new to the 240SX/KA platform. Anything I can do to simplify the setup will be helpful down the road when it comes to adding more power.
-Brad
rebeltshead

Post by rebeltshead »

lets see if the plugs fit, I would use the newer ones....but if they don't, I wouldn't.

are you planning on blocking IACV too?
SHIFT_Live
fox1486
Learners Permit

Post by fox1486 »

rebeltshead wrote:lets see if the plugs fit, I would use the newer ones....but if they don't, I wouldn't.

are you planning on blocking IACV too?
Well that's what I'm trying to figure out, if the plug is going to fit the S13 harness. The only other reason I would swap to the old S13 sensors, is if the plug is not compatible or if the sensors would still read differently.

I haven't looked into would would be involved in blocking off/eliminating the IACV. Are you asking out of curiosity, or do you have some insight on that subject?
-Brad
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Use the appropriate engine coolant temp sensor per the ECU, at least s13 and s14 are different. Plugs are different too.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
fox1486
Learners Permit

Post by fox1486 »

schmauster920 wrote:Use the appropriate engine coolant temp sensor per the ECU, at least s13 and s14 are different. Plugs are different too.
Okay. Since the S13 lower intake manifold is pretty rusted/roughed up, I think we are just going to use the lower S13 portion and the S14 upper. Although it would be nice to use all the S14 parts, to get this thing up and running, we are just going to use what we have.

I do have a further question regarding removing the fuel system hard lines. There is a green sensor block on top of the intake manifold that connects to the same hard lines, and runs to a black solenoid towards the front of the engine that's located above the throttle body. Any insight there on what that piece is and if it is removable?
-Brad
fox1486
Learners Permit

Post by fox1486 »

Figured out my last post. It seems that the FSM is very helpful! Thanks everyone. Be sure to keep up with my build thread.
-Brad
shift_down
SuperMod

Post by shift_down »

fox1486 wrote:Figured out my last post. It seems that the FSM is very helpful! Thanks everyone. Be sure to keep up with my build thread.
I clicked on the link but it said 'page nit foun'. :/
Come at me bro

Fast
Reliable
Cheap;
You can only pick two, so choose wisely!

My build thread: viewtopic.php?t=57539
fox1486
Learners Permit

Post by fox1486 »

shift_down wrote:
fox1486 wrote:Figured out my last post. It seems that the FSM is very helpful! Thanks everyone. Be sure to keep up with my build thread.
I clicked on the link but it said 'page nit foun'. :/
Good call! I fixed the link and posted my build thread from this forum. It's also cross posted on 240sxforums.com and nicoclub.com. Thanks for looking out!

viewtopic.php?t=46306&highlight=[/url]
-Brad
Walperstyle
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by Walperstyle »

Best source of information ever, HIGHLY recommend this DVD for emissions removal. Josh knows his stuff.
http://240sxtechdvds.org/s13_s14_ka_int ... _page.html