help me guys. stalling problem. safc problem?

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
koukiman
Dreams of owning a 240!

help me guys. stalling problem. safc problem?

Post by koukiman »

Hello there guys jus wondering if you could help me out....

Car is fully built ka24det rods, pistons, cams. etc....
Tuned by emance ecu...

Car starts no problem idles awsome, no leaks no weird noises or anything. When reving its fine... But as soon as i give it some gas to go it just bogs and dies. If i do get it to go it constantly runs REALLY rough. then eventually stalls then has a hard time starting.

The ecu is set to 15 psi but as of right now im only running on 8lbs because i havent had the time to set up my cheapo turbo xs boost controller to get it right to 15 psi...

When the car was purchased safc was hooked up to it. As of right now it is unplug from the harness. Do you think there is a problem with this? I am not sure how to tune to safc but i figured it wont be needed anymore.

Any help will be awesome guys.

Thanks.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

You need the SAFC plugged in as it sends info to the ecu.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
koukiman
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by koukiman »

Do you have any ideal what numbers I should set the safe too? Thanks alot
koukiman
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by koukiman »

yeah....
do you know how to turn the safc to all zeros? i heard that this is the only way this will work...

Thanks.
keytops
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by keytops »

No idea what safc your running v1, v2, v2 with buttons, or the neo so I cant give you specifics but go to settings and restore to factory defaults at the bottom. Its up to you to keep it, if you have a wideband installed it can be very nice for fine adjustment of your tune. To uninstall it isn't too hard the main thing is to find the clipped MAF wire (its white and thick) it will be connected to two of the 5 or more wires coming from the SAFC. Those need to be soldered back together and taped up.
98 s14 SE Track and weekender.
ICEMAN.KCMO
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by ICEMAN.KCMO »

keytops wrote:No idea what safc your running v1, v2, v2 with buttons, or the neo so I cant give you specifics but go to settings and restore to factory defaults at the bottom. Its up to you to keep it, if you have a wideband installed it can be very nice for fine adjustment of your tune. To uninstall it isn't too hard the main thing is to find the clipped MAF wire (its white and thick) it will be connected to two of the 5 or more wires coming from the SAFC. Those need to be soldered back together and taped up.

That is where all SAFC's should be set.. They work best at 0... As in, not being used.. Get rid of that junk and get a real tune,.
Steve.
keytops

Post by keytops »

ICEMAN.KCMO wrote:That is where all SAFC's should be set.. They work best at 0... As in, not being used.. Get rid of that junk and get a real tune,.
That's a strong biased against a decent tool. It's like hating a crescent wrench, not always the best tool for the job but it can save you when you need it most. Ever go canyon running with a fixed MAP? Running richer than you like? FPR take a dump? Would be nice to increase the air flow to get more fuel. Sounds like you have a pretty closed mind or are lacking experience. My car came with a SAFC I was planning to uninstall it, I've got a tune but its proven itself a valuable tool for fine tuning and helped me drive 150 miles with not much fuel pressure.

Secondly his post says he has an Emance tune; first line.
koukiman
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by koukiman »

Ketytops I have a SfacII.
koukiman
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by koukiman »

Iceman, why do some people go all negative and some people go all positive? Sorry for the noob questions but it's been learning experience for me do far. Lol
keytops

Post by keytops »

Woa woa wooooaaaahh. I'm not all positive on SAFC, I said it should be used to fine tune, get you home or to a dyno or to comp for injectors or a maf. It can be a good tool. SAFC does not adjust timing so if you use it to tune you better tune safe and retard your dizzy. You shouldn't touch anything on it without a wideband hooked up full time. A SAFC in the wrong hands is asking for trouble. An SAFC is like a tune bandaid and has a bad rep for it. I look at it as I'd rather have a bandaid than an infected cut.

Anyways, turn the car on it should load to the main menu after a few seconds. push down twice till your on ETC. Then push enter (bottom right button) then keep clicking down till you see initialize, push enter, then push down highlighting "yes" and enter. All done.

FYI just my .02 Emance makes some **** tunes, I would safc a stock ecu over an emance tune anyday, atleast I know the stock ecu is safe. You have no idea what they are doing to your timing and you will need to watch your wideband like a hawk. If you want a canned tune go with enthalpy they stick to their products and in my experience made a good quality canned tune. Else do some research on standalones or daughterboards for the stock ecu see what fits your budget. Emance is a really sketch company.
keytops

Post by keytops »

sicks13 is selling a nistune in the for sale section. If you want a legit setup spend your tax monney on that and a real tune.
koukiman
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by koukiman »

got home from 16 hour shift at work... lol.
turned the afc settings to all zeros. throttle 20/40.
Started right up no hesitation, warmed up and rev it to 4k. reved up.. loud backfire, then idle'd back down to 9k then stalled... started it back up no problem but is now hesitating... This is all with my stock ecu btw...

ohhh sfac i hate your ***** guts.
keytops

Post by keytops »

What injectors are you running? MAF? What does your wideband say? I'm about to drive home from work but ill PM my number drop a text and I'll try and help you get going.
koukiman
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by koukiman »

tonight i uninstalled everything... went well.
Found out that my widebnd wasnt even hooked up that what was causing the stay at 14.7.... lol.

Everything lookd good... I started it,,,. Wideband read 13, 14, 15, 18, then maxed out. Car is running to damn rich... Is it the tune?
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

What do you mean rich? AFR's from 9-13 is rich idle. 14-15 good. 16-maxxed out is lean. Tap the gas and see the AFR's drop. Should be 14.5-15 idle, 14.5 cruise, getting on it around 12.5 and boost 11-11.5.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Freise
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by Freise »

When you disconnected your SAFC, did you fix the wire running to the ECU from the MAF? Because the SAFC is wired to intercept the maf signal, and then sends it to the ECU. So where are all the other wires are just tapped into the engine harness, the MAF wire is actually cut on the harness and run in to and then out from the safc. Without it, your maf is not connected to the ecu.
Also need to know what MAF and injectors you are running? If both of these are non-stock, they will not run correctly without a compensated tune
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
koukiman
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by koukiman »

Uninstalled safc. Recheck z32 maf wiring and it's all correct. Installed new 550s. Turned car on, wideband running extra lean still. 15, 16, 17 then max lean... Will recheck the safc uninstall tonight... I'm still thinkn it's the tune...
keytops

Post by keytops »

Well the tune is meant for a specific MAF and injector size. Do you know what the ECU is tuned for?