Spark Plug wire options

Basic tech questions such as future setups, different turbo kits, car diagnosis, etc
KA24DETS14
Driving Mom's Station Wagon

Spark Plug wire options

Post by KA24DETS14 »

Hey guys I am looking for some experience/opinions and info about spark plug wire choices. I have been doing a little research and looking around but I can never seem to find what I am looking for as far as what works best, so I am hoping I can be pointed in the right directions. Recently I notice a small skip at idle so I replace the plugs, cap and rotor and the situation was pretty much under control, but the wires I have on the car are stock and have been on there since I have owned the car so I want to replace them. I called the dealership and the price wasn't extreme, but I felt I could find an upgraded set for the same price. I have found some many different options and I don't know what to go with so recommendations and experiences would be great!! Thanks in advance!!
240sxfan6882
Knows Some Stuff About 240's!

Post by 240sxfan6882 »

I recommend these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-77643/

They seem to be have different colors for less.

8mm wires, well made and I ran them for a while now.
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

I bought a V8 set of solid core MSD plug wires and made my own using the new wires and my stock boots. You have to drill out the plastic boots a little, it turns out nicely.

Its about 30-50 bucks, and you have enough for a 2nd and maybe 3rd set as spares or for other cars.

I laugh in the face of radio interference
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
KA24DETS14

Post by KA24DETS14 »

schmauster920 wrote:I bought a V8 set of solid core MSD plug wires and made my own using the new wires and my stock boots. You have to drill out the plastic boots a little, it turns out nicely.

Its about 30-50 bucks, and you have enough for a 2nd and maybe 3rd set as spares or for other cars.

I laugh in the face of radio interference
These are a few dollars more and alittle thicker. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-87243/
Are they any better?
keytops
Dont Question My Nissan Knowledge

Post by keytops »

I've never had a problem with magnecor wires
98 s14 SE Track and weekender.
schmauster920
Belongs To The TOP CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS!

Post by schmauster920 »

Yes, and I would think they would be a little better, being thicker. +1 they look like nice wires.
D21, Built KA24DE, 740cc, T4, WeatherGuard Tool Box, Tial 40mm, Megasquirt 3 in progress
KA24DETS14

Post by KA24DETS14 »

Anymore experiences with different brands or is that pretty much it for quality plug wires? Unfortunately the Taylor wires that were mentioned earlier are on back back until the end of the month.
supakat
SuperMod

Post by supakat »

I used Accel sport 8mm. Work fine.
12.96 @ 116.36 - 2.1 60ft - 11/2011
13.1 @ 114 - 2.3 60ft - 8/2012
KA24DE-T
Build thread/Blog
YouTube Channel
Freise

Post by Freise »

Honestly just pick something you like or any of these brands that people have suggested. You basically can't go wrong. Spark plug wires will never give you a "performance" increase, at least not a measurable one... Let's put it this way, if your spark plugs are the weak point in your system then you are probably running enough power on a built motor to be aware of it.
95 240sx KA24DE-T
S15 Injectors
Z32 blow through
KA24DETS14

Post by KA24DETS14 »

Just ordered the Taylor 8.2MM Thundervolt wires. Let you guys know how it goes
shift_s14
Dreams of owning a 240!

Post by shift_s14 »

waiting you feedback, im going to order as well in a few weeks
240KA
240sx Wannabe

Post by 240KA »

woohoo, taylor cables. i personally bought some msd wires. they rock. going to buy some spark plugs tomorrow, and hopefully that'll clean up the low end hesitation a bit.
KA24DETS14

Post by KA24DETS14 »

240KA wrote:woohoo, taylor cables. i personally bought some msd wires. they rock. going to buy some spark plugs tomorrow, and hopefully that'll clean up the low end hesitation a bit.
Well I recieved the Taylor 8.2mm Thundevolt wires last week and I have been driving around with the for a few days. I must say that I am happy with the purchase!! The idle is much smoother now and the quality of the wires is very high. I haven't noticed real power gains but the car does seem to pull a little smoother in the upper RPMs and seems a little happier to does so now. The packageing was really done well and they even included instructions (LOL) and dielectric grease. Overall 2 thumbs up from me!!
NeverSatisfied

Post by NeverSatisfied »

KA24DETS14 wrote:
240KA wrote:woohoo, taylor cables. i personally bought some msd wires. they rock. going to buy some spark plugs tomorrow, and hopefully that'll clean up the low end hesitation a bit.
Well I recieved the Taylor 8.2mm Thundevolt wires last week and I have been driving around with the for a few days. I must say that I am happy with the purchase!! The idle is much smoother now and the quality of the wires is very high. I haven't noticed real power gains but the car does seem to pull a little smoother in the upper RPMs and seems a little happier to does so now. The packageing was really done well and they even included instructions (LOL) and dielectric grease. Overall 2 thumbs up from me!!
This. I have the same ones.
If its worth doing, its worth overdoing.